taiwan's sun rise

jongzg

May 20, 2010
somewhere around BukitBatok
DSC_4970.jpg

-i would like to find more about the techniques of snapping sunrise or sunset.
-i would like to find out what the mistakes were.
-what is the best apenture/iso/shutter speed for a picture like this.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
-every pictures do have different feelings in it.
-sunrise and sunset is equally nice.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
-glancing through the hotel window, saw the sun is rising and started snapping pictures.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture.
-its nice and beautiful.

Camera setting;
-Focal 55mm
-f/5.6
-iso 400
-speed 1/60

Last edited:
one would expect the colours to be more vibrant, something striking about the clouds and/or sun. obeying the 1/3, 2/3 rule may not work sometimes. the black part occupying the lower 1/3 makes it look as if someone has torn off part of the picture. if one thinks that it is beautiful, one really needs to adjust/change one's mindset to further improve

Last edited:
If you had place the outline of the mountain profile into the 1/5 lower portion it might have been better.

Any out door situation even nite scenery you can get very good result with ISO100, provided a trpod is being used.

If this shot can be done with a few second exposure, the feeling should have been different.

You could have used ISO100 expose at f/16 @ 1/2 sec. Plus a ND filter can get even slower.

Last edited:
Is it me or is that the horizons are slanted?

Is it me or is that the horizons are slanted?

It's you. Those are not horizons lol.

Edit: To TS:

I 2nd what Cabby mentioned. Since the point of interest is the sky and clouds, why not try shifting the foreground down and letting the sky take more dominance?

as for settings..

-Focal 55mm
-f/5.6
-iso 400
-speed 1/60

It would have been better at f/8~f/11 (I wouldn't go too small as the picture actually gets softer due to diffraction - although it's one trick to get a longer exposure which i used to do myself) , ISO 100 ..therefore 3-4 stop reduction, speed at ~ 1/8 - 1/4 seconds shutter. Looking closer, the foreground is actually a few mountains (or mountain ridge) right? You could try this silhoutte version and you could also try to expose for the foreground as it should be rather interesting too. You probably need a grad ND or HDR to do so. Like Cabby said..you probably need tripod for that :)

Last edited:
one would expect the colours to be more vibrant, something striking about the clouds and/or sun. obeying the 1/3, 2/3 rule may not work sometimes. the black part occupying the lower 1/3 makes it look as if someone has torn off part of the picture. if one thinks that it is beautiful, one really needs to adjust/change one's mindset to further improve

thanks for the coment:) i wll take note of that.

If you had place the outline of the mountain profile into the 1/5 lower portion it might have been better.

Any out door situation even nite scenery you can get very good result with ISO100, provided a trpod is being used.

If this shot can be done with a few second exposure, the feeling should have been different.

You could have used ISO100 expose at f/16 @ 1/2 sec. Plus a ND filter can get even slower.

It's you. Those are not horizons lol.

Edit: To TS:

I 2nd what Cabby mentioned. Since the point of interest is the sky and clouds, why not try shifting the foreground down and letting the sky take more dominance?

as for settings..

-Focal 55mm
-f/5.6
-iso 400
-speed 1/60

It would have been better at f/8~f/11 (I wouldn't go too small as the picture actually gets softer due to diffraction - although it's one trick to get a longer exposure which i used to do myself) , ISO 100 ..therefore 3-4 stop reduction, speed at ~ 1/8 - 1/4 seconds shutter. Looking closer, the foreground is actually a few mountains (or mountain ridge) right? You could try this silhoutte version and you could also try to expose for the foreground as it should be rather interesting too. You probably need a grad ND or HDR to do so. Like Cabby said..you probably need tripod for that :)

thanks alot for the tips:) i will try it.

You also can find some spectacular sunrise and sunset in and around Singapore too.

What I like about this picture is the beautiful and colorful patterns created by the light of the rising sun against the sky and clouds. I suppose this is probably what attracted you to take the picture in the first place.

The difficulty is capturing what you see into the camera in a way such that you can recapture that moment of wonder. What I think can help improve this picture is not to have a totally dark silhouette of a mountain range but to have some degree of details. The trick is to show perspective so that the viewer is able to relate the sunrise to the surroundings or environment. This is not easy and I can understand that.

In summary, I like the colors and patterns of the sky. The foreground can be improved by allowing more details into the picture. This will give better perspective to the overall picture. Nice work :thumbsup:

This is a good try. The colours are very natural and pleasing. You might want to experiment different framings and exposures to take this shot.

Currently, because of the lack of exposure on the foreground and your framing fits only the cloud patterns, it looks as if you pasted this black portion on to the sky. You might want to zoom out, give some 'breathing space' for your clouds patterns. This would work well if the patterns appear as an isolated patch in the sky.

DSC_4970.jpg

-i would like to find more about the techniques of snapping sunrise or sunset.
-i would like to find out what the mistakes were.
-what is the best apenture/iso/shutter speed for a picture like this.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
-every pictures do have different feelings in it.
-sunrise and sunset is equally nice.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
-glancing through the hotel window, saw the sun is rising and started snapping pictures.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture.
-its nice and beautiful.

Camera setting;
-Focal 55mm
-f/5.6
-iso 400
-speed 1/60

To me, I think you can increase saturation and adjust the levels to make it more striking. ;)