Taiwan Trip


Status
Not open for further replies.
#1
Hey will be going to Taipei free and easy. First time going there, so no experience. Stepping into foreign land. Anyone been to Taiwan often? Heard that the voltage for the electrical current there is 110v while our current is at 230v, where do I get a cheap transformer? (Hehe, need to charge up my batteries for my Nikon.)

And, where is the "Sim Lim" there? Is it advisable to get assessories for my D50 there (like filters or extra batts?)

How about the popular spots (except ShiLin)? Will most prob. be taking the MRT around, any experienced advices and warnings?

Hope to hear from you guys out there!
 

#2
a) Go to Kinokuniya, look for Taipei Walker (mag)

b) Go to the internet and check out what to do in Taipei :)

c) Get a universal adapter from those travel shops or from your local electrical shop (Taiwan's plug is 2 flat plate pin type)

d) SimLim sq of Taipei - Try Guang Hua Mall (floors above road is all electronics, floor below.. heheh.. lotsa naughty stuff)

e) Buy a traveller's pass for the jie yun (the MRT there), about 600NT but can use for quite long as well as it's refundable if you haven't used up the value.

f) Check out places like The East District, Dan Shui, Bei Tou, the 6 main night markets (go Kino for this one) and if you are staying there for more than 7 days, try going out of Taipei to the outskirts like KeeLung, TaiDong, BaiTu...etc via the good old train ride..

have fun! nice time to go in Dec coz the weather should be very cooling...
 

s2s1

New Member
Nov 4, 2002
637
0
0
38
AMK
Visit site
#3
Yes, the voltage there is 110VAC. Look carefully ur camera charger, it may support 110~240VAC then u dun need buy transformer. I just went Taipei last month. Share you my personal pic, http://stevenma.myphotoalbum.com/

The ppl there are kind. Try to ask help from pretty mei mei, u won't regret! :lovegrin:
 

k3nn3th03

Senior Member
Jan 6, 2005
2,544
0
0
#4
s2s1 said:
Yes, the voltage there is 110VAC. Look carefully ur camera charger, it may support 110~240VAC then u dun need buy transformer. I just went Taipei last month. Share you my personal pic, http://stevenma.myphotoalbum.com/

The ppl there are kind. Try to ask help from pretty mei mei, u won't regret! :lovegrin:
my friend jus came back... he say its slightly hotter than in sg.. :D
 

s2s1

New Member
Nov 4, 2002
637
0
0
38
AMK
Visit site
#5
Not slightly, it's very very hot compare to SG last month I went. Maybe because their city no tree and all houses air-con and cars engine release heat. Sweat there everyday... :sweat:

Singapore - Garden City! Cheer~
 

#6
s2s1 said:
Yes, the voltage there is 110VAC. Look carefully ur camera charger, it may support 110~240VAC then u dun need buy transformer. I just went Taipei last month. Share you my personal pic, http://stevenma.myphotoalbum.com/

The ppl there are kind. Try to ask help from pretty mei mei, u won't regret! :lovegrin:
Wah thanks for the photos. hehe, Typical Singaporean in a typical Taipei- FOOD, FOOD AND MORE FOOD! hehe, looks like that is the place for me! I have decided to gouge myself the moment I touch ground at Taipei. Regarding the mei mei part, my cina not very good, so no hope. It will be like the duck trying to talk to the chicken.

Wah lao, the food damn tempting man. And I mean damn. Your photos are very colourful.

I am quite curious at something. How do you guys carry your cameras and tripods around the place? Do you carry it in your back packs or just hang it around your neck? Don't want to look to touristy there and attract unnessesary attention ah. Scarly want to attract mei mei become attract robbers. What will be your recommendation to carry those stuff around?

Regarding the voltage thingy. Hey! I just realised sia. That was a really good advice. Did'nt really notice the back of my charger.

Thanks! That was a great help.
 

#7
SniperD said:
a) Go to Kinokuniya, look for Taipei Walker (mag)

b) Go to the internet and check out what to do in Taipei :)

c) Get a universal adapter from those travel shops or from your local electrical shop (Taiwan's plug is 2 flat plate pin type)

d) SimLim sq of Taipei - Try Guang Hua Mall (floors above road is all electronics, floor below.. heheh.. lotsa naughty stuff)

e) Buy a traveller's pass for the jie yun (the MRT there), about 600NT but can use for quite long as well as it's refundable if you haven't used up the value.

f) Check out places like The East District, Dan Shui, Bei Tou, the 6 main night markets (go Kino for this one) and if you are staying there for more than 7 days, try going out of Taipei to the outskirts like KeeLung, TaiDong, BaiTu...etc via the good old train ride..

have fun! nice time to go in Dec coz the weather should be very cooling...
Thanks for the advices. This is great help!
 

s2s1

New Member
Nov 4, 2002
637
0
0
38
AMK
Visit site
#8
I didn't bring tripod there. All pictures taken by my Fuji S602Z with hand. So some pictures are not sharp, but after resize smaller they are not obvious.
 

#9
Thanks for everything. Will be taking China Airlines there and staying in River View Hotel. (Those that stayed there please fill me in with some info abt the hotel as I am in the process of choosing) This is the final week in Singapore before I go over. Hope to bring back some photos back to share with you guys thanks! :)

Guess the final judgement is that I get a backpack to dump my tripod in (hope that it is long enough to fit), and hold the camera on my neck and just keep shooting. Is the locals easy- going about a person going around shooting? Or i might most likely to get bashed up?

And most importantly, anyone got into trouble with the food in the night markets? Got any medicines that recommended must bring so that I won't stay in the toilet for ages? Sorry, when I see food there, I think I would just gobble them down... too tempted.
 

s2s1

New Member
Nov 4, 2002
637
0
0
38
AMK
Visit site
#10
benjaminteo said:
Thanks for everything. Will be taking China Airlines there and staying in River View Hotel. (Those that stayed there please fill me in with some info abt the hotel as I am in the process of choosing) This is the final week in Singapore before I go over. Hope to bring back some photos back to share with you guys thanks! :)

Guess the final judgement is that I get a backpack to dump my tripod in (hope that it is long enough to fit), and hold the camera on my neck and just keep shooting. Is the locals easy- going about a person going around shooting? Or i might most likely to get bashed up?

And most importantly, anyone got into trouble with the food in the night markets? Got any medicines that recommended must bring so that I won't stay in the toilet for ages? Sorry, when I see food there, I think I would just gobble them down... too tempted.

Haha! You can buy more camera equipment at COMEX b4 go.

My Chinese is considered ok (I can read Traditional Chinese) so no prob to walk around there. If you can read and speak English only... may have some prob. Unless u bring a map and take cab only. I used to take mrt and bus there, save lots. Any prob i just find a friendly lady guide me. ;)

Taipei food is clean for me. The ppl there healthy concern level higher than here. But, beware of the way they use toilet!!!! They dun flush toilet paper but throw it into rubbish bin... :sweat: :sweat: :sweat:
 

TMC

Senior Member
Sep 4, 2004
6,321
0
0
Beyond Space-Time Continuum
#12
benjaminteo said:
Thanks for everything. Will be taking China Airlines there and staying in River View Hotel. (Those that stayed there please fill me in with some info abt the hotel as I am in the process of choosing) This is the final week in Singapore before I go over. Hope to bring back some photos back to share with you guys thanks! :)

Guess the final judgement is that I get a backpack to dump my tripod in (hope that it is long enough to fit), and hold the camera on my neck and just keep shooting. Is the locals easy- going about a person going around shooting? Or i might most likely to get bashed up?

And most importantly, anyone got into trouble with the food in the night markets? Got any medicines that recommended must bring so that I won't stay in the toilet for ages? Sorry, when I see food there, I think I would just gobble them down... too tempted.
Just dun be obvious and snap other ppl`s GFs esp in the XimenDing area. They will kind of avoid you but will let you go on your way. Dun be persistent in trying to take a particular person, cant shoot, move on.
 

#13
TMC said:
Just dun be obvious and snap other ppl`s GFs esp in the XimenDing area. They will kind of avoid you but will let you go on your way. Dun be persistent in trying to take a particular person, cant shoot, move on.
Don't worry, I shoot aunties. Worse come to worse, their husbands will come after me with their watermelon knives.
 

#14
Actually, now everything is just a dream. Nature's fury, Typhoon Talim is just at the doorstep of Taiwan, I diverted my direction towards Beijing liao. Even Hong Kong will be affected... sob sob...

:what: *A sense of emptiness as I watch the advertisements by Taiwan with Ah Mei on tv going... Naruwan!!! Welcome to Taiwan!

Well, lets hope I will have a good time in Beijing. Will be going off this morning at 5 am.

Any last minute advices? :rolleyes:

Hope to be alive after all the walking around the plentiful of National Monuments in Beijing to post some pictures here to share with you guys.

COMMUNISM! HERE I COME!
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom