Taiwan Rail Tours

sinned79

Jun 18, 2009
Singapore
www.dennislee.co
Anyone had experience traveling around Taiwan by rail to share?

Initially trekking Yushan is part of my itinerary but then as I am a solo traveller hard to find a package for solo trekker (min 2 person required), so after watching a few episodes of the Taiwan rail tours on channel 8 on TV, that got my interest!

:)

Initially trekking Yushan is part of my itinerary but then as I am a solo traveller hard to find a package for solo trekker (min 2 person required), so after watching a few episodes of the Taiwan rail tours on channel 8 on TV, that got my interest!

I am only familiar with the areas featured in Episode 1, which is the 平溪乡. You can take a train from 台北车站 to 瑞芳(where you alight and take bus to 九份 also). From there buy a day ticket for 平溪线, cost you NT$55 per day, and you can hop on and off along 十分、平溪、菁桐 etc. The 十分瀑布 and the rail track between shophouses are near 十分车站. Most of these stations have a old street nearby too.

I am only familiar with the areas featured in Episode 1, which is the 平溪乡. You can take a train from 台北车站 to 瑞芳(where you alight and take bus to 九份 also). From there buy a day ticket for 平溪线, cost you NT$55 per day, and you can hop on and off along 十分、平溪、菁桐 etc. The 十分瀑布 and the rail track between shophouses are near 十分车站. Most of these stations have a old street nearby too.

cool! thanks for the info :)

Taiwan Rail has a Tourist pass that is relatively cheap. It is in a little booklet form, which is good for 2 weeks and you can make up to 10 stops (any stops). The only criteria being, you have to do the journey clockwise or anti-clockwise, without going backwards, ie. you have to do A to B to C, and not A to C, back to B, then onto D. If my memory serves me right, the booklet cost only about 80 SGD. Each time you wanna travel to somewhere, just go to the train station ticket counter, tell them where you wanna go, the person will write down the destination on the little booklet, stamp a chop and give you the necessary train tickets. I travelled around the whole of taiwan twice using this little train pass. As for where to go, you can always borrow a guide from the library and read up. The smaller train stations are nice. Check the ones near Alishan (if they are already reopened. They were closed due to landslides the last time I was there, back in end 2009).

Taiwan Rail has a Tourist pass that is relatively cheap. It is in a little booklet form, which is good for 2 weeks and you can make up to 10 stops (any stops). The only criteria being, you have to do the journey clockwise or anti-clockwise, without going backwards, ie. you have to do A to B to C, and not A to C, back to B, then onto D. If my memory serves me right, the booklet cost only about 80 SGD. Each time you wanna travel to somewhere, just go to the train station ticket counter, tell them where you wanna go, the person will write down the destination on the little booklet, stamp a chop and give you the necessary train tickets. I travelled around the whole of taiwan twice using this little train pass. As for where to go, you can always borrow a guide from the library and read up. The smaller train stations are nice. Check the ones near Alishan (if they are already reopened. They were closed due to landslides the last time I was there, back in end 2009).

thanks for the info! just nice, i am going to taiwan for 2 weeks. hehe.

thanks for the info! just nice, i am going to taiwan for 2 weeks. hehe.

you're welcome. drop me a pm or email me (wx49@hotmail.com) if you need more infor on tw. i've been there 4 or 5x, each time doing different parts, around the country. if you need a local friend, i can intro my friends to you too.

you're welcome. drop me a pm or email me (wx49@hotmail.com) if you need more infor on tw. i've been there 4 or 5x, each time doing different parts, around the country. if you need a local friend, i can intro my friends to you too.

thanks!

check out this company. http://www.yx.com.tw/. they run lots of trips to yushan.
and, there are many alternatives to yushan, and imho better than yushan :)