desertstrike

Sep 29, 2008
CCK
hi guys, i will be going to taiwan on a 8 days package tour

any tips or things to take note of?

i intend to bring D90, 18-105 + 35mm f1.8

still considering whether to bring along a 70-300 VR + tripod

the package will be an island wide tour that will be visiting many places

so probably not much time to stay at a single spot to try out as many pictures as possible...

so ya, any tips? ;)

Tips?

Buy low sell high?
Diversify your portfolio... :)

Groups tours tend to be refugee like affairs... so less equipment will be better. I doubt if you have time to setup your tripod. With the VR 18-105, you should be able to do without a tripod for most occasions.

Enjoy the trip, the food instead. I might be in Taipei in Nov on business and makan...

Cheers

so probably not much time to stay at a single spot to try out as many pictures as possible...

so ya, any tips? ;)

I Love Taiwan...been there twice this year and I still miss it...:)

First time i brought my S5Pro, Tripod and my collection of lenses...for me...I take more of landscape and scenery...so at the end I use my tamron 17-50 f2.8 more often...tripod is once a while when I wanna take panoroma...

Haha...i tried not to stay at a place...end up i had no choice and made more friends and spent more time at each place...haha

Have fun!!

I Love Taiwan...been there twice this year and I still miss it...:)

First time i brought my S5Pro, Tripod and my collection of lenses...for me...I take more of landscape and scenery...so at the end I use my tamron 17-50 f2.8 more often...tripod is once a while when I wanna take panoroma...

Haha...i tried not to stay at a place...end up i had no choice and made more friends and spent more time at each place...haha

Have fun!!

yo, can u share ur itinerary with us? :)

Was there last year. Try the speed train. It's 3-4 times faster than our MRT.

Was there last year. Try the speed train. It's 3-4 times faster than our MRT.

okie, is photography allowed in their speed train? cos singapore does not allow pic to be taken in mrt...

okie, is photography allowed in their speed train? cos singapore does not allow pic to be taken in mrt...

I used my compact cam in the train. I suppose not a problem.

To me, if you fast enough and only take photos but not 'enjoy / feel' the scene or listen to any tour guide, you able to take photos, even with tripod. Unless you go alone, or else, if you go with your partner / friends, they can help you and setting up tripod makes a lot more easier.

I would suggest just take 18-105 as general walk about, 35mm f1.8 for night / night market. Take your tripod, not necessary bring it with you all the time, can leave in Hotel for day time.

also, take a small compact if needed. Since you got the D90 with video ability, compact can be skipped if just purely for video.

Hmm i think will bring the tripod along as if i were with friends etc can take group pics together. If not kind of troublesome.

I will be going either to Japan or Taiwan in Dec too.

yeah.. sometime tripod is good for group photo as well whahahaa... not only for night shot..

I am going to Taiwan 31st Oct as well... free & easy... just wonder is it necessary to bring prime lens along?
I am just thinking of bringing 18-105VR and 70-300VR along... advise?

yo, can u share ur itinerary with us? :)

Sure...I start with the March one first...backpack style:)

March total 8 days
Day 1: Touched down at Taipei Taoyuan Airport
Took HighSpeed Rail all the way to Kaoshiong...within an hour...yes...can take photo...:) I took a few shots...very fast...comfortable...
Arrived at Kaoshioong, check into home stay. Went to LiuHe Night Market

Day 2: Went to Chijin, where there is a beautiful white lighthouse and an old fortress. I met a Taiwanese Canon user there...become blood brothers at the end...hahaha...got suntanned cos of the exposure to the sun...Night revisited LiuHe to finish off the food that never tried..haha

Day 3: Head off to Kenting, about 1 hr ride..shared cab at Kaoshiong Rail Station...the cabbies were there to pull customers from the bus rides...faster...i made more friends on board...
Arrived at Kenting, the southern most part of Taiwan...Asia's best surfing paradise they claimed...very beautiful also...lots of holiday inns available... Went to another lighthouse...Er Luan Bi Lighthouse..Night shopping and makan at the Kenting main street...
Stayed over night at Kenting

Day 4: Checked out of inn...booked a cabbie to bring me around the place...Kenting was the place where a movie..海角七號was shot...so he brought me all over....and also visited the cliffs where the oceans meet...very strong winds..haha...whole trip until abt 3pm...then I book him to send me back to Kaoshiong
Back at Kaoshiong, I went to a park where there was live music and snacks bar...enjoyed the evening...and strolled to the their indoor stadium nearby also...

Day 5: Pack up...Proceed back to Taipei with the rail againz...
Checked into Rainbow Hotel at XiMenTing... I chanced upon a camera shop where I fell in love with...bought a Black Bird Fly Orange colour... and my Kata 3N1-20...

Day 6: Went to Fishermen's wharf...where I met a group of students..I joined them for a while...Met up with a new friend earlier at Kenting...she just got back...after that I took another hr's train ride to Keelung...Taiwan's most northern part...visited the Temple Night Market...more good food...ahha

Day 7: Attracted into Temple, Fo Guan Shan, we have one in Singapore too... stayed there till 12 plus...after the yummy vegeterian food...many thanks to the friendly seniors and shi fus...went up to the giant Goddess of Mercy park where we can see the skyline of Keelung...abt 3 plus...head back to Taipei
Dinner at Shilin Night Market

Day 8: Went back to my fav camera shop to say good bye..haha...before heading back home...

Hope not too confusing...can PM me la if not clear...

Hmm i think will bring the tripod along as if i were with friends etc can take group pics together. If not kind of troublesome.

agree on taking group pics. Not always easy to ask some stranger to use the DSLR and take group photos. One of my reason to carry my tripod all the way...

yeah.. sometime tripod is good for group photo as well whahahaa... not only for night shot..

I am going to Taiwan 31st Oct as well... free & easy... just wonder is it necessary to bring prime lens along?

If you are sure you need to use the focal length above 105, you can bring the 70-300.
If I'm in this situation, I will bring it, but only to decide whether bring it out of hotel room after confirm the day's itinerary.

so ya, any tips? ;)

Is this a tour that will take you from one touristy place to another to buy souvenirs?

Is this a tour that will take you from one touristy place to another to buy souvenirs?

Think tats the normal guided tour package unless you go on Free & Easy kind.

I intend to go on Free & Easy Taiwan again as last yr had done the same.

To me, if you fast enough and only take photos but not 'enjoy / feel' the scene or listen to any tour guide, you able to take photos, even with tripod. Unless you go alone, or else, if you go with your partner / friends, they can help you and setting up tripod makes a lot more easier.

I would suggest just take 18-105 as general walk about, 35mm f1.8 for night / night market. Take your tripod, not necessary bring it with you all the time, can leave in Hotel for day time.

also, take a small compact if needed. Since you got the D90 with video ability, compact can be skipped if just purely for video.

hmm... sounds good, thanks :)

ohoh, when u going ar? fixed the dates?

hmm... actually i was thinking whether the 70-300 will be useful?

hmm... wat do u intend to take with the 70-300?

Sure...I start with the March one first...backpack style:)

March total 8 days
Day 1: Touched down at Taipei Taoyuan Airport
Took HighSpeed Rail all the way to Kaoshiong...within an hour...yes...can take photo...:) I took a few shots...very fast...comfortable...
Arrived at Kaoshioong, check into home stay. Went to LiuHe Night Market

Day 2: Went to Chijin, where there is a beautiful white lighthouse and an old fortress. I met a Taiwanese Canon user there...become blood brothers at the end...hahaha...got suntanned cos of the exposure to the sun...Night revisited LiuHe to finish off the food that never tried..haha

Day 3: Head off to Kenting, about 1 hr ride..shared cab at Kaoshiong Rail Station...the cabbies were there to pull customers from the bus rides...faster...i made more friends on board...
Arrived at Kenting, the southern most part of Taiwan...Asia's best surfing paradise they claimed...very beautiful also...lots of holiday inns available... Went to another lighthouse...Er Luan Bi Lighthouse..Night shopping and makan at the Kenting main street...
Stayed over night at Kenting

Day 4: Checked out of inn...booked a cabbie to bring me around the place...Kenting was the place where a movie..海角七號was shot...so he brought me all over....and also visited the cliffs where the oceans meet...very strong winds..haha...whole trip until abt 3pm...then I book him to send me back to Kaoshiong
Back at Kaoshiong, I went to a park where there was live music and snacks bar...enjoyed the evening...and strolled to the their indoor stadium nearby also...

Day 5: Pack up...Proceed back to Taipei with the rail againz...
Checked into Rainbow Hotel at XiMenTing... I chanced upon a camera shop where I fell in love with...bought a Black Bird Fly Orange colour... and my Kata 3N1-20...

Day 6: Went to Fishermen's wharf...where I met a group of students..I joined them for a while...Met up with a new friend earlier at Kenting...she just got back...after that I took another hr's train ride to Keelung...Taiwan's most northern part...visited the Temple Night Market...more good food...ahha

Day 7: Attracted into Temple, Fo Guan Shan, we have one in Singapore too... stayed there till 12 plus...after the yummy vegeterian food...many thanks to the friendly seniors and shi fus...went up to the giant Goddess of Mercy park where we can see the skyline of Keelung...abt 3 plus...head back to Taipei
Dinner at Shilin Night Market

Day 8: Went back to my fav camera shop to say good bye..haha...before heading back home...

Hope not too confusing...can PM me la if not clear...

wah, thanks! this is useful

*noted down for future trip reference*

:D

agree on taking group pics. Not always easy to ask some stranger to use the DSLR and take group photos. One of my reason to carry my tripod all the way...

If you are sure you need to use the focal length above 105, you can bring the 70-300.
If I'm in this situation, I will bring it, but only to decide whether bring it out of hotel room after confirm the day's itinerary.

yup, i think i will do that too...

Status
Not open for further replies.