Taiwan - How To Book Your Train Ticket Guide

sinned79

Jun 18, 2009
Singapore
www.dennislee.co
Hi,

I am writing this simple guide to help anyone who is facing difficulty how to book their train tickets during their Taiwan trip.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

To book your Taiwan train tickets with Taiwan Railway Administration, please visit the below link:
Taiwan Railway Administration Website

Note: Macbook users using Firefox may have some problems using the above website. You are advised to use Safari web browser instead.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1

First you need to know from which starting point to which destination you wish to go. I will use Taipei Main Station to Ruifang Station as an example.

From - I will select "Taipei" - "Taipei"
To - I will select "Taipei" - "Ruifang"
Train Types - I will select "All Types"
Date - Using the calendar, input the travel date, the rest leave it as default.

Click "Search" button once you are done with the above.

step-1.jpg

Step 2

On the next screen, you will see the timetable of the trains for the date of travel that you have selected. You will notice that there is a booking button
booking.jpg
at the last column. If there is no button, it probably means that the train for that timing is fully booked.

Click on this booking button
booking.jpg
to make your booking. You may also wish to take note of the train code in case you do not wish to make a booking at this stage.

step-2.jpg

Tip: You can ignore the "Orig-Dest" column as it may confused you... it simply means where the train first originated and where it will reach its final destination. You don't have to worry too much about the information in this column. You should instead pay notice to the "Estimated Time" column which will tells you how long is the train journey to reach your destination.

Last edited:
Step 3

On the next screen, you will need to key in your passport number then click on "Start to order" button to make your booking. You may also wish to indicate the number of passengers if you are not traveling alone.

step-3.jpg

You will see this screen after you click on "Start to order" button, this is just a security feature to ensure no spammers. Key in exactly what numbers you saw in the graphic in the box provided and click "Submit" button.

step-4.jpg

You will then see the below screen to indicate that you have successfully booked your ticket.

Note: You still need to pay for your tickets else your booking will be canceled automatically after 48 hours!

Next, you are supposed to click on "Online Payment" button to make payment for your ticket.

step-5.jpg

Last edited:
Step 4

You will be redirected to another website to make payment after you clicked on "Online Payment" button. Select English if you do not understand Chinese.

step-6.jpg

Scroll down to the button of this page, then tick the check box and click on "Start buying a ticket" button"

step-7.jpg

On the next screen, you will need to select "Check if you are a foreigner (fill in your passport no.) then enter your passport number and booking code in the given screen. Your booking code is given to you in Step 3.

step-8.jpg

On the next screen, you will need to select the number of Adult/Child/Senior/Disabled tickets and then click "Confirm" button to initiate payment.

step-9.jpg

On this final screen, you will need to key in your credit card information then click on "Confirm Payment" to make your payment.

step-10.jpg

And you are done!

Note: You will need to print out a form to collect your train tickets at the train station counter! This form will be available to you once you have completed the payment.

Last edited:
thanks for the step-by-step guide! :)

should be ok to get the tickets on the spot itself? for flexibility of schedule

thanks for the step-by-step guide! :)

should be ok to get the tickets on the spot itself? for flexibility of schedule

morning trains usually sold out fast... so try to book at least a few days before. Routes like Taipei to Hualien is very popular and sold out very fast.

Yes, no problem getting tickets on the spot itself, especially if you are headed for popular destinations, because there are many trains daily.

Trouble is weekends, and public holidays, suggest that if you go on such dates you buy the tickets early to avoid disappointment.

morning trains usually sold out fast... so try to book at least a few days before. Routes like Taipei to Hualien is very popular and sold out very fast.

Yes, no problem getting tickets on the spot itself, especially if you are headed for popular destinations, because there are many trains daily.

Trouble is weekends, and public holidays, suggest that if you go on such dates you buy the tickets early to avoid disappointment.

Thanks for the tips! :) Certainly enlightening to note that the tickets are in such high demand for certain trips.

Yes will have to weigh the possibility of disappointment vs the possible inconvenience of being tied to a schedule.

Thanks for the guide.

Hi thanks, this thread came one day after I struggled to book my train tix to Hualien...

Just to add on, if you intend to book a return ticket, you first have to book the destination without paying, but take note of the booking code. You then go through the same process to book the return trip and at the online payment stage, choose return and enter both booking codes. I believe there is some discount for return tickets.

Hi thanks, this thread came one day after I struggled to book my train tix to Hualien...

Just to add on, if you intend to book a return ticket, you first have to book the destination without paying, but take note of the booking code. You then go through the same process to book the return trip and at the online payment stage, choose return and enter both booking codes. I believe there is some discount for return tickets.

yup, the booking code is very important cos you will need it during payment.

Discount if you buy round tickets or if you buy to and fro tickets separately you can bring your tickets, credit card go to station for refund of the discount they have yet to give you during payment.

I am going to Hualien on 11th :) Many train rides are full and they only show you the availability + confirmation of booking together. Didn't manage to get 2 seats together with my gf. Keep giving me tickets like 30 and 32. <-- together?

Remember print the payment sheet, ticket form to collect your tickets. Online payment you can collect at least 30 min before departure if I am not wrong.

Going there on the 13th:cool:

Even though I book both trips separately immediately after they were available online (2 weeks) I end up getting 4 tickets numbering 29-31-33-35 (to) and 37-39-41-43 (return), so I'm just assuming that it's just their seat numbering system.

Wow man it sure sound complicated just to book the tickets...

I'll be there this weekend for a week free and easy.....not done any plan yet....guess will auto pliot when I'm there...;)

Wow man it sure sound complicated just to book the tickets...

I'll be there this weekend for a week free and easy.....not done any plan yet....guess will auto pliot when I'm there...;)

yeah, their booking format quite complicated, took me a few weeks to understand it after doing research online haha

Wah, so many heading to Taiwan ... will be in Hualien from 18 to 19 Dec as my last leg in Taiwan ...

yeah, u go landscape section, lots of taiwan threads including mine lol

------

anyway guys, i think the screenshots is missing, checking with my webhost what happen to my screenshots (apparently got deleted without my knowledge), so please bear with me while i get these screenshots back.