Taiwan bans tripod on all outgoing flights

yc2005

May 14, 2009
Hi guys, I just came back from Taiwan yesterday, and I just wanna highlight the new ruling on tripods on all outgoing flights.

LINK: http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/front/archives/2011/05/25/2003504089

Basically, all tripods longer than 25cm are not allowed to be brought on board planes. This is a new ruling which started on 1st June 2011.

What happened to me was that I have checked in all my luggages, cleared immigration, until the X-Ray area then the customs officer told me I could not bring my tripod on board. Initially they told me to discard my tripod. Im like wtf, my tripod is more expensive than the air tickets I paid for, and no way am I gonna discard them. Then they relented and allowed me to recheck in my tripod as a baggage. I wasted 1 hour going through the whole process, getting my passport re-stamped, etc. I could only check in my tripod with my tripod bag and not with the luggages as they have been checked in. Lucky my tripod survived the journey in one piece.

What pissed me off most was:
1) There isn't any poster or warning signs telling passengers of the new ruling anywhere in the airport.
2) Some of their own airport staff weren't aware of the ruling either, and 1 commented that her own friend (Taiwanese as well) was caught off guard by the ruling as well
3) When I was boarding the plane, I saw a passenger in front of me with a tripod, obviously >25cm :angry:

All brothers and sisters going to Taiwan please take note of this, and check in your tripod with luggages.

Reading through the provided link briefly, I find it quite reasonable to check in the tripod instead of carry it onboard of the plane. No problem there, I normally check in my tripod too...

Did you pack it together with the ball head or separately? Just curious. :)

Reading through the provided link briefly, I find it quite reasonable to check in the tripod instead of carry it onboard of the plane. No problem there, I normally check in my tripod too...

This is the first time I have encountered such an issue. I have brought it on board planes to many countries and no issues at all. I am not questioning the legitimacy of the law; this thread is just to raise awareness to those who usually hand-carry tripods :)

Did you pack it together with the ball head or separately? Just curious. :)

Everything inside. First thing I did when I reach Changi Airport is to rush to the belt to check my tripod

:sweatsm: I'm so paranoid I actually carry both pieces separately. :sweatsm: :sweatsm:

This is the first time I have encountered such an issue. I have brought it on board planes to many countries and no issues at all. I am not questioning the legitimacy of the law; this thread is just to raise awareness to those who usually hand-carry tripods :)

Everything inside. First thing I did when I reach Changi Airport is to rush to the belt to check my tripod

So the tripod is checked-in separately? Wow, what if some dishonest person walk away with a Gitzo when they recognise it

bonrya said:
:sweatsm: I'm so paranoid I actually carry both pieces separately. :sweatsm: :sweatsm:

Actually it's best not to remove the ballhead too many times as it might loosen it.

i see a new market for compact tripods <25cm that can extend till 2m :bsmilie:

crystal1993 said:
Actually it's best not to remove the ballhead too many times as it might loosen it.

I know but then I don't travel with my tripod often.. :x

kei1309 said:
i see a new market for compact tripods <25cm that can extend till 2m :bsmilie:

if you have a good deal for one, I want one! :bsmilie:

Interesting to know... thanks

The thing is... they did not mention anything about monopod. So I take it that you can hand carry monopod on board of the plane? This is something that I don't quite understand... for all reasons, monopod is better as a weapon than the tripod... if security was the main reason for the ban.

I normally just check in my tripod, whether into a hard suitcase or soft bag, i do not see a need to hand carry tripod, my thinking is if a tripod cannot handle the rough handling, then maybe its not worth getting it.

So the tripod is checked-in separately? Wow, what if some dishonest person walk away with a Gitzo when they recognise it

Yes separately, and I am using a gitzo tripod bag as well that's why the first thing I did is to rush to the belt :bsmilie:

I normally just check in my tripod, whether into a hard suitcase or soft bag, i do not see a need to hand carry tripod, my thinking is if a tripod cannot handle the rough handling, then maybe its not worth getting it.

Aluminium tripods would be able to handle all the knocks, and escapes with at most dents; but not CF ones as they are more brittle and breaks on impact more easily. Maybe hard suitcase would be plausible

thanks for sharing, haha will take note to check in the tripod haha

Aluminium tripods would be able to handle all the knocks, and escapes with at most dents; but not CF ones as they are more brittle and breaks on impact more easily. Maybe hard suitcase would be plausible

Can wrap towel around it, even without using a hard case. If it's surrounded by clothes, a lot of the impact will be absorbed..

Yes, there has been clear documentation of decent tripods being checked in naked..

You don't want to see the aftermath, very heart pain.

my luggage is the non hard case type one... but i still check in my CF tripod. so far so good. but i always ensure i got clothings to cushion it.