ahbock

May 15, 2009
Singapore, Kim Tian
Please advice if the below itinerary possible in 8 Days

Taipei Taipei 101 (台北101)
Ximending (西門町)
Shilin Night Market (市林夜市)
Fisherman's Wharf (漁人碼頭)

Nantou Sun-Moon Lake National Scenic Area (日月潭國家風景區)
Cingjing Farm (清境農場)

Kaoshiong Fo Guang Shan Monastery (佛光山)
Liuho Night Market (六合夜市)

Chiayi Alishan National Scenic Area (阿里山國家風景區)

Last edited:
more than enough

Planning to go Taiwan next year Apr as well... way too many places I want to visit.

Apart from the above :
Taroko gorge (太魯閣國家公園)
Jiufen (九份)
Yang Ming Shan (陽明山國家公園)
Wulai (烏來)

Too rush for 8 days?

Planning to go Taiwan next year Apr as well... way too many places I want to visit.

Apart from the above :
Taroko gorge (太魯閣國家公園)
Jiufen (九份)
Yang Ming Shan (陽明山國家公園)
Wulai (烏來)

Too rush for 8 days?

yes:) too rush. especially going to alishan would kill a good 3 days i think:think:

i think taipei and a little of kaoshiung would be adequate.

bullet train gets you from tp to ks vv fast ( 2 hours)

search for high speed rail taiwan on search sites for info and prices.

You basically have a pretty good itinery there, though its quite the standard trip. Yang ming shan and jioufen should also be included, as it's not too much of a hassle to get there.

Please advice if the below itinerary possible in 8 Days

Taipei Taipei 101 (台北101)
Ximending (西門町)
Shilin Night Market (市林夜市)
Fisherman's Wharf (漁人碼頭)

Nantou Sun-Moon Lake National Scenic Area (日月潭國家風景區)
Cingjing Farm (清境農場)

Kaoshiong Fo Guang Shan Monastery (佛光山)
Liuho Night Market (六合夜市)

Chiayi Alishan National Scenic Area (阿里山國家風景區)

Went Taiwan last month for 9 days. Places I went Hua Lien (Ocean Park, Taroko), Nantou (Cing Jing, Puli, Sun Moon Lake), Alishan, Taipei (Jiufen, Danshui etc.). I would advise you to skip Kao Shiong if possible because nothing much there and travelling to and forth cost alot by HSR, quite waste of time. Suggest you to travel half of Taiwan first. Recommend you to go Taichung instead since you are going to Cing Jing and Alishan and visit the FengJia night market there. Anyway mine was not rushed as I employed a driver cum guide from Hua Lien to Cing Jing to Alishan, it's very relax and timing is more flexible, had alot of free time.

Alishan can be done by staying just 1 night unless you want to view the sunset, just reach Alishan by around 3pm else 1 night is good enough. Cing Jing will be better to stay 2 night as the view is so much better than Alishan esp the sunset, sunrise n star glazing. On the way to Cing Jing, must go is Hehuanshan to see the sea of clouds if you are lucky else it will be too foggy to see anything. And if you go during the month around Feb, it will be snowing in Hehuanshan.

As for Sun Moon Lake, do stay 1 night if you want to view the great scenery cos in the afternoon, there's nothing much to see.

Travelling to Alishan and Cing Jing is a very long journey so better check your timing properly in order not to be too rush.

Enjoy your trip, Taiwan is a very nice place with nice people. :)

Last edited:
Alishan can be done by staying just 1 night unless you want to view the sunset, just reach Alishan by around 3pm else 1 night is good enough. Cing Jing will be better to stay 2 night as the view is so much better than Alishan esp the sunset, sunrise n star gazing.

Enjoy your trip, Taiwan is a very nice place with nice people. :)
fusionz,
i understand the train trip from taipei to alishan is quite complication?
wonder if u have a writeup some where

i plan to go next year for star glazing, cypress forest, sakura, not too sure which months are the best? thanks!

fusionz,
i understand the train trip from taipei to alishan is quite complication?
wonder if u have a writeup some where

i plan to go next year for star glazing, cypress forest, sakura, not too sure which months are the best? thanks!

Nope, it's not complicated at all. Just need to research abit and I have done quite a comprehensive research before I went, have almost all the info required, train/bus timing, pricing etc.

There's few options:

Either take a HSR or TRA to Chiayi and take the public bus up to Alishan (the train from Chiayi to Alishan are disabled due to the typhoon some years back), or arrange with your minsu to get you up to Alishan from the train station. They will bring you to Fenchihu on the way up. And no, I haven't have time to do a writeup for my trip. Will be doing it when I am free. Train to Chiayi takes ard 90min to 150min depending on HSR or TRA and bus to Alishan takes around 2+ to 3hours.

As for star glazing, Cing Jing will be a better place cos from Alishan central, you won't be able to get the best view but in Cing Jing, staying in the right minsu will ensure you get the best view of the whole Cing Jing and sea of stars as it require the whole place to be dark without artificial lighting. I was taking star trail around 12am and most of the places have turned off their lights.

But note that journey from Alishan to Cing Jing can take you almost close to a day by train and bus.

Sakura should be around the month of Sept but I won't recommend you to go during this time as it's typhoon season. Check this site: http://emmm.tw/L3_content.php?L3_id=3093 but you need to be able to read traditional chinese. Cypress forest is always there year round but the whole trail will take you slightly over 2hours to complete by foot. If you go in the month of Apr to May, there's firefly tour.

Try the month of early March as it's very cooling since it just turn Spring and weather will be very good. If you don't mind hot weather, you can go during summer june to aug but Alishan and Cing Jing will still be quite cooling. If you go in the month of March, do bring a thicker jacket as the weather will be very cold in the mountain area esp at night since you want to do star glazing. Anyway, still recommend you to tour half of taiwan 1st and the other half in your next trip else it's very time consuming on travelling.

Last edited:
fusionz,
thanks .... will browse thru those links. my trip will only be next year
i'm not fond of rushing thru, prefer to focus on specify area & enjoy slowly.
actually been to taipei few times already, just not familiar traveling out of taipei yet