Taipei streetscape

Status
Not open for further replies.

kh_drew

Aug 5, 2002
Singapore
Visit site
Will be going to Taipei around Christmas for a week. Any ideas of where are the nice places to capture the pulse of the city?

andrew

thr first place to come to mind would be xi men ding..there's a train stop to the place. very cool. something like tokyo's ginza.

and the night markets..hmm can't remember what's the name exactly...there's one to the north of the main city centre...

Originally posted by jon33
thr first place to come to mind would be xi men ding..there's a train stop to the place. very cool. something like tokyo's ginza.

and the night markets..hmm can't remember what's the name exactly...there's one to the north of the main city centre...

Xi men ding a lot of chiobu =x hehe.. go to their lu pian tan and yeh shi (street hawker stalls + night market(pasar malam)) . Very nice. Yeah! xi men ding is like tokyo's ginza, fasion sense very strong there.

ah ha! remember what the night mkt's called...shi lin!

there are lots of night mkts around, get a travel map from the CKS airport @ taipei when u touch down. if u can't read chinese its not too bad, cos most signs are in hanyu pinyin....

must try the chicken cutlets (ji pa)..damn power...

went i went there after training stayed at rainbow hotel - right in the middle of xi men ding! woo hoo!

i like the small shops that sell these really cool trinkets...keychains of south park characters etc made with clay and hand painted..less than $10...good way to impress girls back home ;)

miss the place. oh if you're gg at the end of the yr it can get rather cold and wet. bring jacket. and take care of cam.

hmm..i would take pics of the scooters there...evryone's got one! very busy..and the riders very power...

Yar taiwan's quite interesting..

EVERYONE drives a scooter.. quite cute... then the girls.. hais.. the girls are what I miss most about that place man..

Think you can get some really good street shots especially of the night markets.. and buy some softtoys (quite cheap)...

Oh if you into karaoke, they are karaoke crazy, really HUGE karaoke places, other than that.. I think CDs are really cheap there (original ones)

Can't remember where else I visited.. but mostly the most interesting places would probably be the night markets or their so called shopping area

Have fun...

Originally posted by enivre
Yar taiwan's quite interesting..

EVERYONE drives a scooter.. quite cute... then the girls.. hais.. the girls are what I miss most about that place man..

Think you can get some really good street shots especially of the night markets.. and buy some softtoys (quite cheap)...

Oh if you into karaoke, they are karaoke crazy, really HUGE karaoke places, other than that.. I think CDs are really cheap there (original ones)

Can't remember where else I visited.. but mostly the most interesting places would probably be the night markets or their so called shopping area

Have fun...

Go there shoot pic of the PING LANG mei (main cause of driving accident in taiwan) . hehehehe.

hopefully you will still be able to see the ping lang mei in their oh-so-attractive uniform..(i saw a topless one in kaohsiung before...that's another story)

read that city officials are gg to make it official that the pinglang mei must not wear too revealing dresses..

yeah, the revealing outfits are officially banned now.

thanks for all the advice. saves me the trouble of getting a lonely planet. anyway i'm setting myself a challenge of shooting with just the 28/2.8 AIS lens set on hyperfocal distance. see what turns out! ;)

andrew

eagerly waiting the results andrew :) btw if u have the time make a trip to the southern part of taiwan, the heng chun area. IMHO its got the best scenry in taiwan...must visit kenting nature park...

but its a long way from taipei. 6 hours plus bus ride

cheers, have a good trip..

Originally posted by jon33
went i went there after training stayed at rainbow hotel - right in the middle of xi men ding! woo hoo!

i like the small shops that sell these really cool trinkets...keychains of south park characters etc made with clay and hand painted..less than $10...good way to impress girls back home ;)

miss the place. oh if you're gg at the end of the yr it can get rather cold and wet. bring jacket. and take care of cam.

hmm..i would take pics of the scooters there...evryone's got one! very busy..and the riders very power...

The night markets are cool.

Have to go try the Chee Pai (Spicy Chicken Chop) and Tien Bu La (Fried fritters with salt, chilli and curry powder) SHIOK!!!

Been to ROC twice on training as well. First hotel not that nice, but the second one had a jacuzzi and Raindow Channel! :D

Shi Lin is Taipei's largest night market. Try Xi Men Ting if you want to buy exoensive stuff as its a little like our Orchard Road, very hip and trendy. Mostly young crowd.

Hua Xi Yeh Shi is mostly night market and restaurants. Can get snake blood and exotic food there. Once saw an FM2 in shrink wrap there for 4000NT = S$200. Did not buy it as no money, just trainees.

There's a 13 Storey SOGO at ChungHsiao Fushing and you can get alot of immitation branded goods there.

HardRock Cafe near Nanking train station and there is a night-spot called KISS LA BOCA in the area. The hottest and coolest night-spot in Taipei. Very happening. Thursday before 10pm no cover-charge. Alot of ang moh restaurants in the area as well if you really need to get a taste of them.

Die Die must try their Chou Dou Fu (Smelly Bean Curd) as Taiwan has close to 10 varieties of the stinky cuisine. Just don't do any kissing after that or your date will faint.

No tax on liquer there so 35cl of Jim Bean is only 125NT = S$7++. So cheers!

My buddy and I stumbled on an area in Taipei that sells computer parts like those shops in Sim Lim Square so everything also buy. Bought a copy of WIN2K PRO Chinese Edition for only 850NT = S$42.5.
Quite a good buy. Upper level (computer parts) Lower level (DVDs, VCDs, Comics, Adult Magazines) all original and damn cheap. (Sent the whole lot back by parcel air-mail)

If you need to purchase adult reading material, send it back by express parcel air-mail and it'll arrive in singapore within 5 days from postage date. (save you the embarassment at local customs)

Have a good trip!

:cool:

arrghh.. too bad when i was there during training... it was durin the earthquake season back then.. so RnR was scaled down... and i had to return to heng chun camp everyday to sleep!!
Thing i like abt Taiwan is the taiwanese accent esp when a grp of girls talk together...:thumbsup: :gbounce:

Originally posted by STShooter

If you need to purchase adult reading material, send it back by express parcel air-mail and it'll arrive in singapore within 5 days from postage date. (save you the embarassment at local customs)

Have a good trip!

:cool:

Isn't importing of these materials illegal? :eek: ;p

Originally posted by Zoomer

Isn't importing of these materials illegal? :eek: ;p

Well, there are legalised adult shops in some parts of Singapore already so I guess there must have been some adjustments being made to the system.

:dunno:

Ohh yeah.. going there in December also... hee hee... 18-24dec
isn't the weather cold there now???

How to keep camera functioning under such condition? Ohh yeah... the condensation part is the one I fear most... dun want to spoil my cam coz of the moisture...
any one who has/had experiences shooting in the cold ?

Originally posted by STShooter

Well, there are legalised adult shops in some parts of Singapore already so I guess there must have been some adjustments being made to the system.

:dunno:

Yes, I realise that there are aids selling here but what about the media??

Think...no. At least officially.

Originally posted by SniperD

How to keep camera functioning under such condition? Ohh yeah... the condensation part is the one I fear most... dun want to spoil my cam coz of the moisture...

taipei is not that cold.
Its probably a cool 15 degrees in the day and 10 degree at night. If suay meet a cold air mass, maybe drop to 8 degree at night.

overall, its a v. nice temperature. No such problem of those you've mention.

winter is drier than normal. Hence, not so much moisture. You probably worry more about moisture in singapore than any other place

Originally posted by SniperD

usually i don't take out the camera and stuff from the bag when i'm back at the hostel after a day out in the cold. A good method would be to wrap the whole camera bag in a thrash bag before stepping indoors. Just remember to take out whatever u need for the night before doing so.

andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.