Taipei Photography Resources

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

vince123123

Hi guys,

I'm making a trip to Taipei in June and would be grateful for recommendations on where to go for photography related products.

I'm not so much looking for mainstream stuffs like camera bodies or lenses or flash, but more of the weird accessories that would be useful. THings like maybe flash diffusers, studio accessories, weird clamps and brackets or the like - similar to the things one can find at Apliu Street in Hong Kong.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

you will be looking at the other side of Guang Hua Road ( not the IT Side) and Nova IT Mall (Opposite Taipei Main Train Station) for these resources. Apart from Nova IT Mall, you should be walking around the Taipei Main Station Area as there are some queer shops around with cameras on display while I was there the last time.

There's actually a "camera street" in Taipei! See below. Enjoy your trip! :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/koonisutra/3231194378/

That's Bo Ai Road, diagonally across from the Taipei Main Station. The things there I find are not exactly cheap, but if you are looking for accessories like portable storage, portable printers, flash brackets, I think you will find a larger selection than in Singapore etc. Actually, I'm going to Taipei tomorrow, will go check out the prices.

Been living in Taipei for past year.
Like what Prismatic mentioned, it's Bo Ai road you should visit for cameras, lens, bags, tripods, standard accessories etc.
You need to know which shops to go to when at Bo Ai, not all are cheap (or reliable..) ;)

But if you are into studio stuff, might want to check out http://www.kphoto.com.tw/front/bin/home.phtml instead.
Can compare prices too first before you come.

Thanks to Prismatic and Streetlite! I'll check out and put in my itenarary, the resources you have mentioned. I'm looking more for funny accessories than the usual standard accessories though. Also studio stuffs :)

Prismatic - I'll wait eagerly for your report!!

Streetlite - thanks for helping, since you are staying there, perhaps you can help me.

I'm currently finalising my hotel stay and am currently considering San Want Hotel just at Zhongxiao Dunhua station. However, I'm now having second thoughts as someone told me that that area (in the Dinghao Shopping Zone) may be too high end - ie all the expensive branded shops only. I'm looking more for a place with lots of amenities, convenience stores and the like nearby the hotel, including 24 hour places if possible; and hence was considering a secondary location at Caesar Park Hotel at the Taipei Main Station (also near Ximending).

My prior experience in HK was a mistake as I stayed at HK island, where there's not that much cheap type shops around. In my second trip, I stayed in Kowloon, at the Mongkok station, and that was much better :) I hence hope to repeat this in Taiwan and not make a second mistake :) If anyone can help that will be good.

Thanks!

Hi VInce,

If you look at that flickr pic with the photo shop area, there is a hotel there :)

perhaps you should just try your luck by going there and ask on the spot what the rates are.....

HS

Thanks Hongsien - Becuase I'm travelling with family, I hope to get a booking done and settled rather than go there and then wonder where to stay haha :)

Hi vince, really depends on what amenities you want. Convenience stores are everywhere in Taipei, and I mean everywhere.
Dinghao area is upper class shopping belt. There are of course some smaller shops carrying accessories & several backalley shops which sell stuff cheaper, but in general it's more of a look-see-but-no-buy area.

If you're planning to stay closer to Ximending area, a popular hotel many Singaporeans book is: http://www.rainbowhoteltaipei.com.tw/
From there, it's convenient to go to Bo Ai road (camera stuff), Nova at Taipei Main Station (computer stuff/games stuff), Shin Kong Mitsukoshi just beside Nova (shopping center).
There's also Taipei CityMall (underground mall behind Taipei Main Station) that you can check out: http://www.taipeimall.com.tw/

Let me know if you need more info :)

Last edited:
Hi Streetlite,

Thanks so much for your information and hopefully you can assist me in deciding :)

What I look for in hotels (in order of priority).

1. Must be VERY NEAR MRT station - I don't like to walk far with heavy shopping bags :p

2. MUST have internet access - whether pay or pre-packaged.

3. Should have room service - cos I always end up coming back late when all the eating places have closed.

3. Ameneties wise, ideally has convenience stores nearby (so don't have to go far for things like food and water), eating places nearby and ideally those which open late.

4. THe hotel itself should be 4 star or higher - I like living comfortably hahah :)

From what you say, seems like Dinghao may be quite upper class for me, at least the area, although the hotel does look good (the one I was looking at, ie San Want).

But the rainbow one you mentioned also sounds good, not sure how close/far it is to the MRT (will check it on the map when I go back cos the map is at home). I was also thinking of Caesar's Park which is apparently 2 min away from Taipei Main Station.

Bearing in mind the above, it sounds like staying in the Taipei Main Station area is better than at the Dinghao area right?

Thanks again for your time! :)

Hi vince, really depends on what amenities you want. Convenience stores are everywhere in Taipei, and I mean everywhere.
Dinghao area is upper class shopping belt. There are of course some smaller shops carrying accessories & several backalley shops which sell stuff cheaper, but in general it's more of a look-see-but-no-buy area.

If you're planning to stay closer to Ximending area, a popular hotel many Singaporeans book is: http://www.rainbowhoteltaipei.com.tw/
From there, it's convenient to go to Bo Ai road (camera stuff), Nova at Taipei Main Station (computer stuff/games stuff), Shin Kong Mitsukoshi just beside Nova (shopping center).
There's also Taipei CityMall (underground mall behind Taipei Main Station) that you can check out: http://www.taipeimall.com.tw/

Let me know if you need more info :)

TS - the hotel san wang got 2 24hr convenient store behind it. a 7-11 and a family mart. no worries abt returning back to hotel late and no makan shop left open as taipei convenient store got many varity of cup noodle not those u find locally. cheap and very nice, got meat and stuff

free internet just need to plug your laptop in with the cable. and san wang is a 4 stars hotel

stayed there last year on a work trip, the metro is just 1min walk away. behind the hotel also got some nice alley makan shop, a meal abt $6-8, with drink and quite a big portion of food.

if u club, opposite san wang is a club LUXY, never been in there but heard its quite happening place.

Last edited:
Ah great to hear positive review of San Want, that was my first choice although now I'm wondering if its good since its supposedly in the more upmarket area. But you have reassured me that there are lots of 7-11 and family mart there heheh :)

I don't club one :p hehe :)

TS - the hotel san wang got 2 24hr convenient store behind it. a 7-11 and a family mart. no worries abt returning back to hotel late and no makan shop left open as taipei convenient store got many varity of cup noodle not those u find locally. cheap and very nice, got meat and stuff

free internet just need to plug your laptop in with the cable. and san wang is a 4 stars hotel

stayed there last year on a work trip, the metro is just 1min walk away. behind the hotel also got some nice alley makan shop, a meal abt $6-8, with drink and quite a big portion of food.

if u club, opposite san wang is a club LUXY, never been in there but heard its quite happening place.

Okay, just got back from Taipei on Friday. I only took a quick walk through Bo Ai Road cos I wasn't looking to buy anything in particular. General impression, prices for official stock is more or less the same as Singapore. Accessories wise, if you are looking for 3rd party tripods, flash brackets etc, is slight cheaper (the local brands) and more variety. Memory cards are definitely cheaper, as are computer parts if you are into those.

Vince, Cesar Park is not bad, never stayed there, but looks quite alright from the outside. I was staying at Miramar Gardens, courtesy of my Taiwanese friends. The hotel service is very good, it's at Bade Road, near Guanghua Market and all the computer shops are. There's a 24hr ramen shop and 7-11 across the road. Only downside is, it's a 10 min walk to the nearest MRT at Zhongxiao Fuxing.

Just checking, what do you mean by "the other side of "Guang Hua Road"? I can't seem to find a "Guang Hua Road" in my Taipei map...

you will be looking at the other side of Guang Hua Road ( not the IT Side) and Nova IT Mall (Opposite Taipei Main Train Station) for these resources. Apart from Nova IT Mall, you should be walking around the Taipei Main Station Area as there are some queer shops around with cameras on display while I was there the last time.

Hi Streetlite,

Thanks so much for your information and hopefully you can assist me in deciding :)

What I look for in hotels (in order of priority).

1. Must be VERY NEAR MRT station - I don't like to walk far with heavy shopping bags :p

2. MUST have internet access - whether pay or pre-packaged.

3. Should have room service - cos I always end up coming back late when all the eating places have closed.

3. Ameneties wise, ideally has convenience stores nearby (so don't have to go far for things like food and water), eating places nearby and ideally those which open late.

4. THe hotel itself should be 4 star or higher - I like living comfortably hahah :)

From what you say, seems like Dinghao may be quite upper class for me, at least the area, although the hotel does look good (the one I was looking at, ie San Want).

But the rainbow one you mentioned also sounds good, not sure how close/far it is to the MRT (will check it on the map when I go back cos the map is at home). I was also thinking of Caesar's Park which is apparently 2 min away from Taipei Main Station.

Bearing in mind the above, it sounds like staying in the Taipei Main Station area is better than at the Dinghao area right?

Thanks again for your time! :)

i don't think rainbow hotel in ximenting suit u, as u mention u want to live comfortably. The room is like hotel 81 standard. but the location is good, at the heart of shopping area. and is about 5 mins walk to ximenting station.

and ximenting station is just one stop away from taipei main station. (5 mins)

If u want to get the DSLR stuff from taipei. not all item are cheap. their bag is way too ex. but filter is cheap. i know the price inside out.

And what kind of shopping u want? diff area has diff shopping.
feel free to ask me anything about taiwan. coz i'm been staying there for 3 years. ;)

i don't think rainbow hotel in ximenting suit u, as u mention u want to live comfortably. The room is like hotel 81 standard. but the location is good, at the heart of shopping area. and is about 5 mins walk to ximenting station.

If u want to get the DSLR stuff from taipei. not all item are cheap. their bag is way too ex. but filter is cheap. i know the price inside out.

feel free to ask me anything about taiwan. coz i'm been staying there for 3 years. ;)

Sorry to OT, but where can I buy those Taiwan bowl noodles in Singapore? The spicy one with pork. Any idea? I am so missing those....... :p

Hmm I think I'll stick to San Want for now heheh :) near MRT and looks quite comfortable enough :p

I'm not so much looking to get DSLR stuffs, more of those funny photography accessories which make life easier; studio stuffs, clamps and whatever- more the knick knacks like you can find in Apliu Street in HK or Ruby or TCW in Singapore.

For shopping stuffs, again I'm more looking into funny knick knacks, household items (things like say, a better toothpaste squeezer), cute stuffs (like doraemon collectibles - I'm still trying to outfit my car with doraemon car accessories from various places) and the like.

Not into the branded places or branded bags, clothes etc. Perhaps something like Jurong Point or Far East Plaza, as opposed to something like Paragon or Takashimaya (the branded area).

I love night markets too (cos of the knick knacks that can be found there) and have slotted in Shilin, Huaxi St, Raohe St, Shida, Gongguan, Gongming Lane, Miaokou Nightmarkets in my iternarry based on what I've seen in the Insight Guide to Taipei.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

By the way, have you went to this Leofoo Village Theme Park? Is it good? I like theme parks too.

Hmm I think I'll stick to San Want for now heheh :) near MRT and looks quite comfortable enough :p

I'm not so much looking to get DSLR stuffs, more of those funny photography accessories which make life easier; studio stuffs, clamps and whatever- more the knick knacks like you can find in Apliu Street in HK or Ruby or TCW in Singapore.

For shopping stuffs, again I'm more looking into funny knick knacks, household items (things like say, a better toothpaste squeezer), cute stuffs (like doraemon collectibles - I'm still trying to outfit my car with doraemon car accessories from various places) and the like.

Not into the branded places or branded bags, clothes etc. Perhaps something like Jurong Point or Far East Plaza, as opposed to something like Paragon or Takashimaya (the branded area).

I love night markets too (cos of the knick knacks that can be found there) and have slotted in Shilin, Huaxi St, Raohe St, Shida, Gongguan, Gongming Lane, Miaokou Nightmarkets in my iternarry based on what I've seen in the Insight Guide to Taipei.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

By the way, have you went to this Leofoo Village Theme Park? Is it good? I like theme parks too.

Wow, you already name all the night markets. lol
shilin is the best bet. is the biggest night market, got alot of funny stuffs.
ximenting also not bad. just behind ximenting, there's a building called WanNain. they have great stuff too.

And behind Zhongxiao DunHua station. there's alot of small shops selling nice clothings. Is quite near your hotel.

Leofu theme park - not bad, worth the visit.

Status
Not open for further replies.