Taipei MRT

Status
Not open for further replies.

HydroPoP

Jun 18, 2002
hydrop.multiply.com
I was very impressed by how the taipei people conduct themselves while taking the taipei MRT. Everybody stand to the right side of the escalator even during peak hours, allowing those who want to walk taking the left side. Everybody queue up for the train and when the door opens nobody rush to enter. Those who were not in the queue will join from behind. :thumbsup: This is very orderly even during peak hours.

I guess this is what Singaporeans should learn. :think:

Welcome to the ways of the singaporeans. seriously, you can't change culture in a split second. you've to consider other factors like how busy and how 'badly' a person wants a seat. it's a chain reaction i suppose.

I was very impressed by how the taipei people conduct themselves while taking the taipei MRT. Everybody stand to the right side of the escalator even during peak hours, allowing those who want to walk taking the left side. Everybody queue up for the train and when the door opens nobody rush to enter. Those who were not in the queue will join from behind. :thumbsup: This is very orderly even during peak hours.

:thumbsup: for people in Taipei

It matter of upbringing. Some Singaporeans really lack of that (sad to say)

Exactly. When I took the Taipet subway 6 yrs ago, I'm totally impressed by the way the commuters conduct themselves. Considering the fact that their politicians always have a free for all during parliment seatings... :bsmilie:

i went to taipei a few years ago and in sg, i'm used to standing at the left. my mum was saying that standing on the left means pro left-wing meaning communist. wonder how's true it is.

but anyway, london tube stations goes in the same way. but they will definitely be pissed off if you're blocking their way.

:thumbsup: for people in Taipei

It matter of upbringing. Some Singaporeans really lack of that (sad to say)

Talking about this, I was pretty disgusted by what I saw on Mon when I took the MRT home. :thumbsd:

A guy of SEA origin, simply just squeeze in and sat in between 2 ladies. The 2 ladies are seated in their respective seat. When 1 of the lady told the guy , " Hey mister , you are not sitting in a seat but squeezing in between 2 seats. "

And the guy point to the left side of the lady and said , " There is still space ."

But all the seats are taken.
The 2 ladies are not those petite lady and there is clearly no space for another person. If the person is not feeling well, I'm sure commuters will give up the seat for him/her. But this person still have the cheek to say there is still space. The 2 ladies looked pretty disgusted. If I happened to my friend, probably I will just do something to make the person feel ashame. But then again, will such person feel ashame in the 1st place ? :think: :bsmilie:

Talking about this, I was pretty disgusted by what I saw on Mon when I took the MRT home. :thumbsd:

A guy of SEA origin, simply just squeeze in and sat in between 2 ladies. The 2 ladies are seated in their respective seat. When 1 of the lady told the guy , " Hey mister , you are not sitting in a seat but squeezing in between 2 seats. "

And the guy point to the left side of the lady and said , " There is still space ."

But all the seats are taken.
The 2 ladies are not those petite lady and there is clearly no space for another person. If the person is not feeling well, I'm sure commuters will give up the seat for him/her. But this person still have the cheek to say there is still space. The 2 ladies looked pretty disgusted. If I happened to my friend, probably I will just do something to make the person feel ashame. But then again, will such person feel ashame in the 1st place ? :think: :bsmilie:

:eek: That's scary. Wonder if he had any motive. :thumbsd:

You forgot we live in a "fine" city, so if people dare to chop seat with a tissue paper packet then this is really nothing :dunno:

If I can afford it, I'll buy my own car. Rush hour commuting is bad. Sometimes I need to say 'excuse me' to a person up to 3 times before he/she knows I'm saying to him/her and moves. :(

Exactly. When I took the Taipet subway 6 yrs ago, I'm totally impressed by the way the commuters conduct themselves. Considering the fact that their politicians always have a free for all during parliment seatings... :bsmilie:

I work in Taipei. People taking escalators always stand on the right side leaving the left side for anyone who is in a rush to walk up the moving step for increased speed. Good behaviour but it is strange when it comes to the way Taiwanese drives. They are among the most discourteous drivers around, especially the taxi drivers. Traffic rules are meant to be broken and if you are a pedestrian, take extra care when crossing the road at traffic light junction even when you have the right of way.

Don't get me started on how much i hate taking train in Singapore. I always believe those who should take a seat are in the following order : Elderly/Kids/Pregnant/Disabled people, followed by women, then if there's space left, then the guys fill it up. I can't stand people not giving up their seats for pregnant ladies and the elder - I have seen many of such cases. I take the train everyday from City Hall back to the east(haven't took a seat in the train since god knows when, always travelling during peak hours), when the orchard train comes along, you see masses of human suddenly choking up the entrance to the trains. This leads to passengers being delayed when they are trying to alight. Sometimes i really wish Singaporeans can just inherit that little bit of social grace from other countries.

Sometimes you just wonder would it be better off owning a car... :dunno:

dun give up seat for elders and pregnant ladies nvm. but i f***ing f***ing f***ing hate those who rush into the train the moment the door opens. cant they just wait for passengers to alight first???

dun give up seat for elders and pregnant ladies nvm. but i f***ing f***ing f***ing hate those who rush into the train the moment the door opens. cant they just wait for passengers to alight first???

i definitely agree with the latter. :angry:

I just ram anyone who blocks my way when i try to get out.

Singaporeans are getting more and more KS. I noticed that when a train (with no more seats) arrived, the passengers still rush into the train without letting other passengers alight first. I just wonder... you rush in also no use cos theres no more seats. Rush in to get a good place to stand?

Even on LRT. Sigh... they failed to let passengers alight first. If not, they will only leave a very small gap, big enough for a person to alight and squeeze through them. Even LRT also want to get a good seat? Its only a few minutes away from your destined LRT station! Stand for a little while also cannot ah?

Is Singapore still a gracious society? I think it never was. :thumbsd:

I heard from my Taiwanese friends that when the Taipei MRT started service, they had staff to stand at the escalator to remind the commuters to stand on the right. I guess after a while it becomes a habit. I think over here, the small and insignificant signs pasted around at some hard to see spots aren't really working. Maybe we really need a more proactive campaign to encourage people to do so.

Honestly, I don't care if people stands on the left or the right side, what I really hate are those whole stand RIGHT IN THE CENTRE with hands on BOTH handrails. Sometimes, when I am in a hurry and encounter these people, I will evenly nicely ask them, "Excuse me." But what really turns me off is that on most occasion, these people will actually turn around and give you that annoyed look like all the bad things in the world can be blamed on you.

very simple: start fining those who don't abide by the escalator rule. You will see a tremendous difference after that... Singaporeans are the most kia see type.. anything that break their wallets, they will learn the rules fast

Status
Not open for further replies.