Tablet PC and Subnotebook users

Status
Not open for further replies.

rty

Staff member
Jan 19, 2002
Singapore
Does anyone own a tablet PC? If yes, how satisfied are you with it and do you see any cons of your tablet PC? (Beside the price, of course)

I am currently using a "conventional" notebook with a big screen but unfortunately it weighs a ton. A big screen is nice to have if you have to work all day on the desk with it but I am a lazy person and like to work in bed. Bringing a notebook that weighs a ton to bed turns me off. Beside its weight and size, the heat generated by it is also annoying. Now I am beginning to have a "vision" of owning either a tablet PC or a slim sexy good looking notebook to accompany me in bed. I am thinking of those Japanese made notebooks like Toshiba, Fujitsu... etc

If you have any suggestion or experiences, please share with me...

Thanks

For my personal use I use 15" Sony Vaio GRZ20 P4 at home, not so heavy but the battery life is sucks.

At office I am using Vaio V505 older model PIII with docking bay for travelling use. This laptop is very nice with solid aluminium casing but when detached from the docking bay the after a while (30 mins) the casing become very hot since the this laptop doesn't have heat sink fan build in. The heat sink fan is in the docking bay. I tried to use it for long period at non-aircon room (on the site) after awhile I barely can rest my palm on the casing when I use the touch pad, damn hot.

I think Sony Vaio TR should be better since this model have mini heat sink fan, but the price is put off.

Another option is Fujitsu lifebook ultra portable, my boss is feel happier with his new fujitsu ultra portable after dumping the sony to us.

Knighthunter said:
Another option is Fujitsu lifebook ultra portable, my boss is feel happier with his new fujitsu ultra portable after dumping the sony to us.

yes...i love my Fujitsu Ultra portable....i got both B-series and P-series
lb_b2610_2.jpg

lb_p1110_2.jpg

even the B-series is small enough to put in the front pouch of my mini-trekker, so light that i can bring to school everyday. Battery life is amazing, the large capacity battery can last 5-6 hours easily. The price is very affordable too, the touch screen is very useful, just like using a tablet PC.

Alternatively, u can get the IBM ultra slim laptop that Space just got, centrino CPU with 1GB RAM :bigeyes: , looks good and i prefer black casing than silver casing.

But none of laptop I ever see/use can beat Sony LCD quality and casing craftmanship (very close to Apple Ti-Book quality). The closest rival is IBM LCD.

I agreed Sony LCD display shine above the rest but get faulty easily.

Knighthunter said:
But none of laptop I ever see/use can beat Sony LCD quality and casing craftmanship (very close to Apple Ti-Book quality). The closest rival is IBM LCD.

Me using the HP TC1000 tablet... just love it..
Battery live is great.. detach the tablet from the keyboard and can work on bed using the stylus

I'm using the Compaq Tablet PC -TC1000.. Love it very much... :heart: its ultra portable, I carry it around in my bag. It has Built in 802.11b, CF Slot, you can scribble on it.. and lots of wonderful features...

Just hope that it has Built in Bluetooth Though ;p But all in all.. its a great asset.. ;)

Hi guys, thanks for sharing the information.

I think price, portability and durability should be the prime focuses for lazy persons like me. Speed and screen quality would have to take the back seat.

The Fujitsu P and B series that Wai got look great but I see they don't have the touch pad and controlling the cursor using a tiny rubber piece that sticks out from the middle of the keyboard doesn't sound good.

Ah... yes, now I remember seeing Willy using a tablet PC during the Clubsnap anniversary dinner. It's indeed pretty cool.

Ok guys, let me take the next step: buy 4D tomorrow. No, it's not a new Canon DSLR. I am talking about the Singapore Pool's 4D, yes, that one!

cafe vienna said:
Take the plunge... get a powerbook! :)

No, thanks. I am not prepared to make this quantum leap.

I am using the IBM Thinkpad 'X' series, which is the below 2kg ultra portable category.

It is light and easy to lug around but the fact that both it's FDD and CDROM are external on the docking bay, sometimes makes it very frustrating when you want to access a CD but did not bring the docking station.

If you bring the docking station, then it is as heavy as a typical 2.7-3kg laptop which defeats the purpose of getting an ultra portable in the first place.

Most of the ultra portables I find have the FDD and CDROM external.

Battery life is good. Typically abt 3 hours with power saving on.

It comes with a CF slot to read CFs and Micro drives. so you can get a 1GB CF/MD to backup your important files.

I really liked the Toshiba's Protege series but they are VERY EXPENSIVE.

Status
Not open for further replies.