Tablet for editing

shelomoh

Mar 17, 2009
I would like to find out info on tablet, those that you use a pen and draw on it, the context is editing photos in photoshop. Not talking about those netbook wannabes like iPad, Xoom, .. etc.

So far I see the industry seemed to talk only about WACOM Intuos.

I just want to know:
- What is the benefit of using tablet for editing. Does it help much? I do a lot of portraiture touch ups and editing.
- What is a good tablet to start with. I went to Harvey Norman and only find this Genius brand but am not sure if it is that useful at all.
- What to look out for in getting a tablet.

But first, do I really need a tablet.

Thanks.

well, ive been using a wacom since the first graphire series came out. Other brands are catching up, but wacom is still in the lead.

maybe first try and figure out how u normally use a mouse. A pen tablet greatly mimics the natural use of arm and wrist movements for a much greater control for some fine detail work. That being said, unless ure doing more of illustrations/drawings, a smaller sized tablet would suffice. A bigger sized tablet would really benefit those who need wide arm movements, usually in drawings/illustrations.

What is the benefit of using tablet for editing. Does it help much? I do a lot of portraiture touch ups and editing.
- If you're really comfortable with a pencil or paintbrush, a tablet is really easy to pick up. Its my main device for a device input nowadays. That being said, it might not be for everyone.

What is a good tablet to start with. I went to Harvey Norman and only find this Genius brand but am not sure if it is that useful at all.
- A cheap bamboo pen is good for everyday use, small, portable and cheap.

What to look out for in getting a tablet.
- pressure sensitivity, maybe lookout for some software bundles(if any)

I have a wacom intous 4 purchased from cathay photo last year. I like to use it especially for product etching. Using the Pen tool is really intuitive with a tablet. If you're doing simple editing, which involves mostly of mouse clicking you probably do not need a tablet. Tablet work is more for extensive editing, example for fashion work where air brushing is required and needing to redraw eye lashes etc or if you make use of brushing extensively.

The bamboo should suffice if you want to try it out, but it still costs a bit, almost $200++ was it? I would not recommend the Genius or any other brand, I've tried a Genius before, model unknown but it just didn't have the same feel as the wacom. Maybe technology has improved, I don't know. What does your wallet say?

Thanks. I was thinking of trying out Bamboo too.
Bamboo got 2 models. The lower priced one is without touch, at S$130. The higher priced one is with touch, at S$170. Touch means the ability to do resize, rotate, scroll, using hand movement like on iPhone.

I do a lot of brushing for layer masking, not so much on drawing but realized that I have to, for eye lashes, except that I used customed brushes to draw eye lashes.

S$170 is fine. Cos the higher models are like > S$500, bigger size, wireless, better software bundles, ... etc.

One last question, the Bamboo does it come with the same pen as the higher models?

I think its a different pen between Intuos and Bamboo. I read some "not so good" user reviews on the Touch, it's not practical to swap like using a touchscreen smartphone, so the feature become redundant.

If you do more retouching and spending more time in Photoshop, you should consider Intuos4 small size. I got mine used off eBay.

Intuos tablet can last a long while as long it's not abused or tortured like "can it blend?".

Wacom uses a patented technology that requires no battery needed to drive the pen on their tablet. Sad to say, Genius really lack behind it's own brand name.

I am still trying to get used to tablet. Got the Bamboo Pen & Touch and find myself turning Touch off most of the time as I am too used to keyboard shortcut and mouse. So now trying to juggle with mouse, keyboard and tablet. Plus the drawing is not so smooth as I have imagine. The pen tip is too small... Would explore more as I only have a few hours with it.

I have the Bamboo Pen only coz I know I will not use the touch part.

The Bamboo Pen is good enough for my photo editing as I do not use it to draw. Is not ultra accurate but it's better than using the mouse to edit

If you feedback it's not as smooth, maybe it's true.. because I tried it once at IT Show.. the demo set of Bamboo had failed to impress me. So i got the Intuos4 in the end.

Depending what you are doing really.

Bamboo series are great for it's portability and relatively cheap price. I bring this whenever I am out of the country with for my MBP.

In my studio, I am using the the biggest version of the intuos 3, don't see the point of buying the intuos 4 yet.

Wacom is the last tablet you will need and it last... Though not cheap too.

The different between wacom and mouse is, one is painting with brush and one is painting with brick. The work will be easier and more refine.

If you do lots of clicking, you might protect yourself using wacom to reduce injury on your arm.

Last but not least, it worth every cents of it but you nee to spend time to get use to it. If you use it extensively, 1-2 days if not about 1-2 weeks.

At least in the beginning, you will feel that you are using your feet to write...

I can't live without it for any editing.

Regards,

Hart

>Wacom is the last tablet you will need and it last...

I'm still using the original Intuos, the gray one with plastic overlay & thin pen..
I've been secretly wishing it'll retire somehow and I will 'upgrade' to one of the new, super slick versions..
But alas its still serving me well all these years...lol:bsmilie:

Come to think of it, it's my only computer item that has resisted 'upgrading' through the yrs..lol

And yes, you'll need some time to get used to it,I similarly hated it at first..after which I only use my mouse for gaming..

Last edited:
Don't bother about wacom touch. I've intuo and bamboo p&t and the touch function is for surfing at best.