Table-top Tripod/Ultraportable Tripod Recommendations

mouselet

Nov 18, 2010
Singapore
Hi guys,

I am looking at purchasing a table-top tripod or a ultraportable tripod for travelling purposes, as I don't want to carry a full-body tripod around. I am hoping to get one for less than $50, and can support roughly 2kg of weight (d700 + 35 1.4 prime)

Right now I am looking at Manfrotto's MTT2-P02, Oben's TT-100 and Pedco's Ultrapod II. Does anyone has any experience with these tripods, or any other recommendations that I can keep a lookout for?

Thanks!

I was considering the Gorillapod Focus, but the price seems to be a bit on the high side..especially for the model with the ball head

Slik MINI II Tripod .. i tried w my 5D2 + 24-105 + 550ex, the tripod head still able to hold it well .. but u can always change to another head if u wan .. bought frm qoo10

Thanks Zackt87! May I know how much did you buy it for?

I was considering the Gorillapod Focus, but the price seems to be a bit on the high side..especially for the model with the ball head

Don't get the focus(not worth the price), get the slr-zoom model instead

I got the slr-zoom for 80, comes with ballhead as well, able to support 6D+35L/24-105L

Hi mouselet, I have the Manfrotto MTT2-P02, and personally, I think it is one heck of a mini tripod. It is strong, and has on occasion held my D300 with 80-200 2.8 mounted. I think the key with that tripod is balance - the 80-200 works because it's got the tripod foot on the lens. But say a 24-70 2.8, that probably wouldn't work as well because it's front-heavy. I used the Manfrotto throughout my trip to France and Italy last year, and I was almost always able to find a ledge to place it on. I suppose this method only really works in cities, but as long as you're not planning to go into the countryside, it should be fine :)

Examples of pictures taken with the mini Manfrotto:
7024860689_cf3a7900b2.jpg

6902858908_64c1ecbc6d.jpg

6893679140_a5112a4b6c.jpg

Oh I should add that I also have the Slik Sprint Mini II (Slik Sprint Mini II GM 4-Section Tripod w/ SBH-100DQ 611-806 B&H), which has some amount of height (just over 1m), and is therefore more useful in situations without a convenient ledge. However, I personally find that the Slik is less stable than the Manfrotto, although it is definitely usable.

Hi SoundOfSilence,

Thanks for the input! Hmm, may I know where did you get the pod from?

Don't get the focus(not worth the price), get the slr-zoom model instead

I got the slr-zoom for 80, comes with ballhead as well, able to support 6D+35L/24-105L

Hi rh89,

Thanks for all the info! Where did you get the Manfrotto from? I've dropped by Funan over the weekend and didn't manage to find any shops selling that..

Anyway, those were great photos you took! Don't mind me asking, did you have a CPL on when you shot them? And which lens were you using?

Oh I should add that I also have the Slik Sprint Mini II (Slik Sprint Mini II GM 4-Section Tripod w/ SBH-100DQ 611-806 B&H), which has some amount of height (just over 1m), and is therefore more useful in situations without a convenient ledge. However, I personally find that the Slik is less stable than the Manfrotto, although it is definitely usable.

Hi rh89,

Thanks for all the info! Where did you get the Manfrotto from? I've dropped by Funan over the weekend and didn't manage to find any shops selling that..

Anyway, those were great photos you took! Don't mind me asking, did you have a CPL on when you shot them? And which lens were you using?

FOr manfrotto, you should have dropped by at Peninsular Plaza across the street to Cathay Photo. You can find their address here: Contacts | Cathay Photo

Hi rh89,

I bought it when I was in the UK - it wasn't that cheap, around SGD$50.

Thank you. I don't use CPL, so none of them had a CPL on. The first two were shot with the Sigma 10-20, and the last one is shot on the Canon S95.

I wanted to have a look at CP's tripod collection but I didn't realise they were closed on Sundays until I reached the storefront lol..will try to drop by some time this week again. Thanks for the info!

FOr manfrotto, you should have dropped by at Peninsular Plaza across the street to Cathay Photo. You can find their address here: Contacts | Cathay Photo

I see! Thanks for the info once again!

I bought it when I was in the UK - it wasn't that cheap, around SGD$50.

Thank you. I don't use CPL, so none of them had a CPL on. The first two were shot with the Sigma 10-20, and the last one is shot on the Canon S95.

I wanted to have a look at CP's tripod collection but I didn't realise they were closed on Sundays until I reached the storefront lol..will try to drop by some time this week again. Thanks for the info!

Only the one at Marina Square is open on Sunday.

Hi SoundOfSilence,

Thanks for the input! Hmm, may I know where did you get the pod from?

I got the pod from TK Photo, probably you can give them a call first to see whether they have stocks