Switzerland Hotel Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oly5050

Feb 1, 2005
Hey Guys, I know some of you are avid travellers and some may have gone to Switzerland before. So I will be going to Switzerland in the next 1-2 weeks and will be hitting Zurich, perhaps Lucerne. These are not my primary destinations but are cities we will stay for a couple of days each. Does anyone have any recommendations on hotels and/or things to do at the above places. Thanks so much!!!

It all depends on your budget. I suggest you google. Usually I never have problems to find hotels in Europe using the internet and I must say I always find what I expect to find, internet descriptions are always accurate according to my experience.

I just came back from Zurich and Lucerne. I stayed at the Walhalla Hotel which is very near the main station in Zurich. The main station is the rail station that connects to the Flughaven airport and Lucerne. Its 10-15 minutes from Flughaven to Zurich main station and 50 minutes from Zurich main station to Lucerne. The hotel is 3 - 5 minutes walk. Very close. But don't expect too high standards. Better than an army bunk though.

As for places of interest, just get a guide from the hotel lobby. It has everything on it. I did mostly walking. Spent 1 day in Lucerne and couple of days in Zurich. Was on a business trip.

I just came back from Zurich and Lucerne. I stayed at the Walhalla Hotel which is very near the main station in Zurich. The main station is the rail station that connects to the Flughaven airport and Lucerne. Its 10-15 minutes from Flughaven to Zurich main station and 50 minutes from Zurich main station to Lucerne. The hotel is 3 - 5 minutes walk. Very close. But don't expect too high standards. Better than an army bunk though.

As for places of interest, just get a guide from the hotel lobby. It has everything on it. I did mostly walking. Spent 1 day in Lucerne and couple of days in Zurich. Was on a business trip.

better than army bunk sounds quite bad. lol. btw, how much was it?? how is zurich compared to lucerne?

There's nothing much to see in Zurich. Better to go Lucerne. The hotel is not that bad lah. Do a google on the hotel name. There are some pics there. I think it was SGD200 per night. Everything in Switzerland is expensive. Luckily company pay.

Outside their train stations there are many tourist info/help. they even have hotel kiosks with the many hotel info/rates. very traveller friendly. their trains leave punctually so dont be late.

https://www.secure-stc.ch/(zlngk545zz0am34525qtif45)/detail.aspx?idhotel=10978&bs=454&language=en

I stay at Hotel Des Alpes in Lucerne, along the river and in the old town. Lots of things and places you can do or go eg. Mount Pilatus, Swiss Path, cruise along Lake Lucerne .....

Enjoy.

Was the hotel as bad as it appeared in tripadvisor photos. The bed looks so thin and the TV so tiny. Will it be hot in the rooms in June?

just remember to plan your itinerary around the weekends.
as far as i've experienced, Switzerland (or pretty much most of europe) is "dead" during the weekends. shops are closed, people are not around, things just slow down to a crawl.

No, the bed is better than the pic but its normally 2 single beds put together. The TV is small though, just like the pic. But you should be out shooting in the day and at night, reviewing pics. Not watching TV. Hahaha...

And I agree with weishengg that weekends are dead. There's a day market on Sat though. Sell lots of funny stuff.

Was the hotel as bad as it appeared in tripadvisor photos. The bed looks so thin and the TV so tiny. Will it be hot in the rooms in June?

Bed is ok and there is air conditioning/ heater in the room. Yes TV is a tiny 14inch mounted on the ceiling. I was down at the Irish pub beside the hotel almost every night watching Champion League. :)

With Euro 2008, Switzerland is likely to be very crowded, especially for Zurich, Geneva, and Berne or Basel (? can't remember) where matches are hosted there. May have to get hotel further away from the city and off the tourist places. Usually the Tourist Promotion Board can help with booking hotel and they are found nearby of the railway station.

Lucerne is a nice city but very touristy and will be a lot worse during this time. Those mountain nearby will also be crowded. Imagine all the standard and package tours go to Lucerne and the nearby, Mount Titilis (check spelling).

People come to Switzerland mostly for mountain scenery and this is best done on foot; IE hiking. You can take the train ride to Interlaken (city of two lakes) but stay up in the mountain like Wengen, Murren, Grindelwald or other mountain resort areas. Along the hike, can see beautiful peaks like Jungfra, Eiger and Monch, and lakes. Warning: Can have difficulty getting accommodation during hiking season and weather can be unpredictable as in rain/cloudy/thunder.

Another area to visit will be the Rhine fall (largest waterfall in Europe). Stein Am Rhein is a very beautiful old town.

Do google or check out guide-book. Have fun!

How about driving and car rentals? Is it recommended? And if so, should I rent from Zurich or Lucerne or Lausanne? Which city would I most need a car?

How about driving and car rentals? Is it recommended? And if so, should I rent from Zurich or Lucerne or Lausanne? Which city would I most need a car?

Whether you need a car really depend on where you want to go and what you want to see. Btw, arrange car rental from travel agency in Spore is cheaper than doing it in Switzerland.

Getting a car is nice if you plan to drive along the mountain and lake, enjoy the view, scenery and at your own pace and have the ability to visit more remote place where the train have no access or limited bus access. If you are taking this route, then suggest that you get the car straight away from Zurich.

Driving around is a fun way to explore Europe. Depending on your itinery, it is best to rent a car from the airport of arrival. But Switzerland is quite well connected by trains and buses, so if Zurich is your 1st stop, you may want to take a train 1st to Lucerne and rent a car there. In my opinion, there isn't much to explore in Zurich, and the city is quite easy to explore on foot.

Also look out for the local town tourism office. There you can find out more of the places of interest and hotels, and you can grab a copy of the city map.

Went to this hotel Victoria Jungfrau Grand Hotel & Spa. It is really very nice, very grand. But is at Interlaken.I guess it is not where the TS will be going. But I really really lke this place alot. I dined at the restaurant too, called La Terrasse. I did not take pictures of the place, cos it would be quite weird.
But took couple of shots of myself there. Perfect service, I must add.

Status
Not open for further replies.