Switzerland and snow capped mountains

whiteshades

Feb 28, 2010
Hi guys, I will be heading to Switzerland for an extended period. Was wondering what to consider when taking photos at ski resorts? Never done it before. Filters to get when shooting at the ski slopes? Things to consider? Safety issue etc? :dunno:

Thanks in advance :)

Currently using Pentax K-x.

1. you can use a polaring filter to cut down on snow reflections
2. if you want to have 'pure' white snow, over expose 1 stop or so
3. if you want to see the details of snow, under expose 1 stop or so
4. if the lighting condition is tricky, eg. half scene directly under the sun, half in shadow, you can consider expose correctly for each half in two shots, then merge them in post processing. Or you can do some averaging of your meter readings.

Just my 2 cents, hope it helps :)

Last edited:
Unless you're an excellent skier, it would be a very bad idea to bring along your DSLR while skiing. Compact would be ok but make sure you're willing to part with it if anything happen. Bad things that could happen with it: dropping it while on the ski lift, landing on it with a bad fall while skiing, getting wet as snow gets into your pocket, dropping it while skiing, etc. I ski with my compact before and dropped my camera pouch while one the ski lift. Otherwise if you're not skiing but just want to take some pics of other people skiing, you can get up from the side of the skii slope with your DSLR, or snap near the bottom of the slope.

Unless you're an excellent skier, it would be a very bad idea to bring along your DSLR while skiing. Compact would be ok but make sure you're willing to part with it if anything happen. Bad things that could happen with it: dropping it while on the ski lift, landing on it with a bad fall while skiing, getting wet as snow gets into your pocket, dropping it while skiing, etc. I ski with my compact before and dropped my camera pouch while one the ski lift. Otherwise if you're not skiing but just want to take some pics of other people skiing, you can get up from the side of the skii slope with your DSLR, or snap near the bottom of the slope.

Thanks for the reminder and yes I am aware of the dangers of skiing with the DSLR! I'll most likely be shooting when I'm not skiing and probably pass my camera to my friend's who aren't skiing.. Ski Resorts tend to have wonderful sceneries :lovegrin:

1. you can use a polaring filter to cut down on snow reflections
2. if you want to have 'pure' white snow, over expose 1 stop or so
3. if you want to see the details of snow, under expose 1 stop or so
4. if the lighting condition is tricky, eg. half scene directly under the sun, half in shadow, you can consider expose correctly for each half in two shots, then merge them in post processing. Or you can do some averaging of your meter readings.

Just my 2 cents, hope it helps :)

Great! Just got myself a CPL filter. Thank you so much I will keep that in mind :D Might probably use HDR for number 4.

You might want to bring a GND. From my experience, bringing DSLR for skii trips is overkill. compacts are much better. Evenings tends to end with drunken stupor and it's not the wisest choice to have expensive optical equipment around.

Ultimately there are lots of factors to determine if you want a DSLR around. like the weather that day, or the thickness of the snow and if it's very rocky. But again. i think DSLR for skii trips is overkill.

Thanks for the advice, other than skiing I might head up the mountains just to shoot pictures since I'll be staying in Switzerland for some time hence the use of DSLR. But point taken to not go skiing with a DSLR around.

What about doing long exposure shots?

If there are cable cars such that you don't need to carry your luggage up then it would be good to bring along the tripod, for sunrise/sunset and night shots.

Hi guys, I will be heading to Switzerland for an extended period. Was wondering what to consider when taking photos at ski resorts? Never done it before. Filters to get when shooting at the ski slopes? Things to consider? Safety issue etc?

Thanks in advance

Currently using Pentax K-x.
I've had absolutely no trouble whatsoever while skiing with a camera. Just make sure your bag isn't too heavy with camera equipment or it will become really difficult to do quick, sharp turns.

Oh and I would recommend that you get a waistpack while shooting on the slopes, especially on more crowded mountains since it does take awhile to get your camera out with gloves and whatnot while using a backpack. There are a fair number of inexperienced skiiers/boarders who will do nothing to stop themselves from plowing into you while you're shooting. With skis on and a DSLR in your right hand, a fall really isn't gonna be pretty.

Unless you are an experienced skiier, STAY OFF the black/double-black/ungroomed slopes since they increase your chance of falling and more importantly, the chance of some kid crashing headfirst into you while shooting.

Last but definitely not least, safety first! Don't try to get any difficult shots which require you to bend over etc. especially if you are not an excellent skiier.

Great! Just got myself a CPL filter. Thank you so much I will keep that in mind :D Might probably use HDR for number 4.

Oh one more thing. Please be careful if using the CPL on a wide angle lens, especially the UWA, as the CPL will make the sky look uneven due to different angle of polarization.