Switching systems all the time...

Status
Not open for further replies.
xdivider said:
Well, the S2 ccd arranges the sensors in a hexagonal pattern rather than the standard square. In theory, by arranging this way, one can capture more vertical and horizontal details but lose diagonal ones which the SuperCCD gets back by clever interpolation. That is y native raw is actually a 12 MP file cos In layman's term u got 12 MPs worth of vertical and horizontal lines. Studies shows that our eyes are actually more sensitive to horizontals and verticals so this is a overall gain. However the disadvantage is that at full size, u tend to find artifacts like moire due to the interpolation and u have a bigger file to boot. However, when u print out big, and this is the purpose of the whole thing, the effect is very similar to having a larger number of pixels. The upsizing and subsequent downsizing also makes the 6MP jpegs look more detailed than the competitors as most of the artifacts are lost when size is reduced. For more info, dpreview's fuji forum and the SuperCCD reviews are a good read.

hello,

ok, i understand it better now. :thumbsup:
thanks for spelling it out easily for non-techies like me who don;t really want to know such heavy technical details. haha

rgds,
cheesy

a last word from me. Just to clarify a few things.
1. Jed, I agree it was a mistake for me to downgrade from a d1h to a d100. At that time, it didn't occur to me that not all pixels were created equal. My mistake and trust me i'm still smarting quite sorely from that one.

2. I am in no way saying that the d100 is a bad cam. Someone wanted to know what i found lacking in the camera so thats what i mentioned. I am not asking anyone to agree with me.
3. Maybe i am an eqpt nut, for the record, it did cross my mind to switch back to a d1h or even better a d2h. Those who know me well enuff will know i was seriously eyeing the d2h. I sold the d100 becos i expected the d2h out earlier.
4. Jed is right in saying they are of a completely different class. And that i should not compare A to B. My mistake and i admit it. Shoot me if u have to.
5. It was not an easy decision to switch systems after so many years. Whether its a mistake or not, i will find out in time to come. Even if it is, it is only a mistake for me and not for others. Just as switching from a d1h to a d100 was a mistake for me. For the time being, i have covered 2 events so far with the 1d and i find i'm more satisfied with the photos, so are the ppl i was shooting for.
6. One man's meat is another's poison. If u really feel u can justify the price of a d100, go ahead, by all means. I just find that for your stated purpose, its a big overkill.

Cheesecake said:
oh my...

so chyeo, u still looking for a D100 or a 10D or a 1D or a S2Pro? ;)

my vote goes to S2Pro over D100. Most often than not, it is personal preference.

not much real difference besides S2Pro and D100, each has its own advantage.

though i mux admit, i've seen blown-up poster (A0 sized) studio work of some food items being taken by both a D100 and a S2Pro (i was wth sadness on that day).
S2Pro wins ... ok, albeit slightly. slight difference between the 2 DSLRs but it really surprised me that DSLRs can come up with such an amazing work... no joke.

how was it done? don't ask me. i don;t know the technical details or the technique to go about doing it. the people who did this are pro in their own field.
think they want to share wth u their secret?

wah seh, 1 day never see my thread then it became so hot ah? :sweat:

Er I had considered 1D before, but now that I have quit Canon, I have no intention to return to it so quickly. Thus my choice is S2Pro and D100.

xdivider said:
Well, the S2 ccd arranges the sensors in a hexagonal pattern rather than the standard square. In theory, by arranging this way, one can capture more vertical and horizontal details but lose diagonal ones which the SuperCCD gets back by clever interpolation. That is y native raw is actually a 12 MP file cos In layman's term u got 12 MPs worth of vertical and horizontal lines. Studies shows that our eyes are actually more sensitive to horizontals and verticals so this is a overall gain. However the disadvantage is that at full size, u tend to find artifacts like moire due to the interpolation and u have a bigger file to boot. However, when u print out big, and this is the purpose of the whole thing, the effect is very similar to having a larger number of pixels. The upsizing and subsequent downsizing also makes the 6MP jpegs look more detailed than the competitors as most of the artifacts are lost when size is reduced. For more info, dpreview's fuji forum and the SuperCCD reviews are a good read.

Huh?

BTW, will somebody PLEASE do something about this minimum 10 character post thing?

chyeo said:
wah seh, 1 day never see my thread then it became so hot ah? :sweat:

Er I had considered 1D before, but now that I have quit Canon, I have no intention to return to it so quickly. Thus my choice is S2Pro and D100.

wow chyeo, u're really something. no intention to return to it so quickly. haha

really, there's no such thing as brand-loyalty nowadays but to some, it does exist.. but i still love my FM2n as much as i first started shooting with it. ;)

maybe i'll upgrade to a medium format, but not uproot. a mamiya would be nice. :p
oh by the way, mamiya and nikon do have some connections in the past. ;) perhaps this helped me to make up my mind... faster.

Try out the Contax G series if you have the spare dough, especially the 45mm and 28mm. Body takes some getting used to, but lenses are something hard to forget.

chyeo said:
I admit this is purely for personal satisfaction.

Why do people switch systems all the time?

Well you have the best answer. Personal satisfaction.

Thread can close now? :dunno:

Next thread: Why do some people die die must stick with one brand... :sweat:

Oh thought the thread died a natural death? Haha... until Parchiao revived it...

Snowcrash said:
Next thread: Why do some people die die must stick with one brand... :sweat:

Ever heard about brand loyalty? :D

Cheers. :cool:

Cheesecake said:
maybe i'll upgrade to a medium format, but not uproot. a mamiya would be nice. :p
oh by the way, mamiya and nikon do have some connections in the past. ;) perhaps this helped me to make up my mind... faster.

Actually, I think Bronica and Nikon had stronger links.

Status
Not open for further replies.