Switch from PC to Mac - CS4 and Calibration Queries

bluepanda

Jun 17, 2008
Hi

I'm thinking of switching from PC to Mac. Hope the experts out there can help with some queries:

1. Currently using CS4 on Win7. Buying Mac version of CS4 (or CS5) will incur more cost, obviously. I'm thinking of running CS4 on Win7 via BootCamp. Does anyone have any experience with this (or with using BootCamp in general)? Will CS4 on Win7 via BootCamp run slower? Will Windows version of CS4 have any problems running on a Mac? Any other practical advice, e.g. copying of files, backing up, etc., will also be appreciated.

2. If I have both OS X and Win7 installed on the same Mac, do I need to calibrate twice (i.e. once in the OS X environment, and once more in Windows)? Or would once do, and which one? Probably using Spyder3Pro.

Thanks much in advance!

Yes, you would need to calibrate twice. Mac OS once and Windows 7 another time, and as for the issue of performance it would be the same.

Thanks for the quick and direct response.

Beyond the installation phase, I'm also concerned about usage-related issues going forward. Eg., there's going to be software updates, so I have to install browser and anti-virus too. Does the software list stop here?

Then, there's drivers so that Win7 can talk to Mac hardware. In addition, I also understand Mac OS X cannot write to the NTFS partition, so how to transfer or backup files?

I realise this may straddle to the grey area of non-photography topic, but I'm posting here because I would like to get photography-related actual experiences and how do people overcome the above "problems", or are they non-issues to begin with? Any users with actual experience willing to share?

All in, would getting the Mac version be an easier solution, money issue aside?

Thanks again!

1. Currently using CS4 on Win7. Buying Mac version of CS4 (or CS5) will incur more cost, obviously. I'm thinking of running CS4 on Win7 via BootCamp. Does anyone have any experience with this (or with using BootCamp in general)? Will CS4 on Win7 via BootCamp run slower? Will Windows version of CS4 have any problems running on a Mac? Any other practical advice, e.g. copying of files, backing up, etc., will also be appreciated.
Hi,

I have just switched from PC to Mac. My CS3 PS works on BootCamp. So, I have no idea about CS4/ CS5. Shouldn't be a problem. The performance was alright. However the filter effect was a bit slow. It will show a pop up window saying 'Loading...', not when I am on OS X.

Trust me, it's a pain to keep restating to change to BootCamp. Best advice: Get the Mac version. The transferring (copying etc.) of files was easy. I could locate the files easily. There is also the problem of the 'control' and 'command' button confusion.