sweeter than roses

Status
Not open for further replies.

igpenguin

Jan 30, 2002
www.flickr.com
Hi,

Shane Thio and Jeong Ai-Ree rehearsing before the actual concert put up by Sweeter than Roses at the MITA Building atrium.

sweeter_01.jpg

hmm... any idea who's the owner of the harpsichord in the photo?

hmm...
would it look better if the pic was taking further away?? so can see part of the chairs and all...i duno just my idea the way i picture it.

interesting inputs. thanks.

i like this shot because of what the lady is doing. she had stuck her fingers near her mouth which is like a pout. i took this as a reflex snapshot, and it was also the first shot on the roll.

hasbsburg:

owner of harpsichord:
no idea... might be sponsored by SSO or the like. i know a chamber group in singapore that had one specially made by a master in europe.

you are into baroque stuff?

Yup... I'm a big fan of baroque music... especially the keyboard works of JS Bach.

It doesn't really look like SSO's harpsichord... btw, what was the colour of the case? There are only a handful of harpsichords in sg so I'm always curious whenever I see a new one around...

Would you happen to be referring to Musica Obscura? :)

Habsburg,

The harpsichord was the same brown usually worn by cellos, violins etc. You play that?!

Yes, was referring to Musica Obscura...

You must have attended Berliner Barock Solisten's concert at VCH then...

Originally posted by igpenguin
Habsburg,

The harpsichord was the same brown usually worn by cellos, violins etc. You play that?!

Hey, I was there at the Berline Barock Soliten's concert too, knew about it a bit late but managed to get tickets. You are the official photographer?

Regards
CK

ckiang,

i was at the concert as part of the audience ;p

do you guys notice or hear shutters going off during classical concerts where there's a photog? this is an area where i wonder how photographers manage without using near silent cameras... despite that there are coughs, sneezes, and handphones going off at various times too during the concert...

ckiang,

i was at the concert as part of the audience ;p

do you guys notice or hear shutters going off during classical concerts where there's a photog? this is an area where i wonder how photographers manage without using near silent cameras... despite that there are coughs, sneezes, and handphones going off at various times too during the concert...

Classical photographers are more discreet. They shoot when the orchestra is playing at f, ff or fff. ;p Or synchronise with the boom of the bass drum, cymbal, etc. ;)

Talking about coughs etc, they always happen in between movements. And I really HATE the people who applause in between movements. Seem to be a recent trend, never happens in the concerts I've been to years ago.

Regards
CK

Talking about those STUPID photographers who shoot at quiet sections of concerts. IDIOTS. At my piano ensemble's annual "Touch" these two photographers were busy clicking away all over the darned place, my recording equipment faithfully captured all their clicking and camera motor noise. That noise was throughout the WHOLE concert, and darn them to be shooting so close to the stage too.

Hmmm....I heard the rehearsal that sunday too. So beautiful voice.

Photographers really can cause distractions at classical concerts particularly if they are using modern SLRs. The noises somehow gets "amplified" plus a dose of reverberation!

Sumi-Jo was in Singapore, and a photog with his Canon (read: 70-200 white cannon) snapped off something like 10++ frames within the first minute, then stopped until it was time to present flowers, meet the dignitaries on stage etc. Heard his camera clearly when he was taking the singing shots off-stage, along the middle aisle.

I also shot Sweeter Than Roses' actual performance that Sunday, but felt restrained as I try to minimise the distractions while photographing.

Maybe an idea is to use a rangefinder, or a pin-hole camera (duh!) ;p

Scriabinesque, what do you use to do live recordings? Where do you place the mics?

Hmm... dark brown... SSO's harpsichord is a light brown Goble... It doesn't look like any of those I've seen around... so far I've only encountered around 10 different harpsichords in sg... so rare...

Nope, I don't play the harpsichord... Can't find a teacher leh... primary musical interest in the instrument depicted in my avatar :D

Goodness, I didn't know about that concert at VCH until you mentioned it... argh... how could I miss it?? :(

Habsburg,

??? Besides the usual brochures placed at ticketing counters etc, The Straits Times did a writeup in Life! .

Where do you play the organ?

Oh... dunno how I managed to miss the article in Life. So how was the concert? Where were you seated? I'm loathe to pay for the more affordable tickets because they are for seats under the circle balcony. Everything sounds muted from there and the harpsichord would be practically inaudible...

I'm one of the sub-organists at TACMC... ;p Which instrument do you play?

??? Besides the usual brochures placed at ticketing counters etc, The Straits Times did a writeup in Life! .

Where do you play the organ?

habsburg,

What's TACMC? What do you do as a sub-organist? (all the while I thought only one guy plays the organ...)

Was seated under the balcony (duh!). Did find harpsichord hard to hear. It was quite enjoyable, made more pleasurable by the presence of a school friend and girl friend on my sides. The Telemann was a refreshing change in a program consisting mostly of Bach (JS and JC).

My primary instrument is the piano, and I play some other instruments. I can play none of them like an expert...

Status
Not open for further replies.