Sweden

Status
Not open for further replies.

sylvia

May 11, 2006
I intend to get a D80 after my exams, however i made last minute decision to go to Jönköping, Sweden for 1 month of summer studies. And this further drive me to get my own dslr. But due to budget constraints and i have no idea how much i'll need in sweden. I cant decide if i should get my dslr now. I assume i probably need 2K even if i bring instant noodles there. and i have less than 2 weeks of break after my exams, before i leave for sweden. i wont have sufficient time to find a job.

I will not forgive myself for not capturing beautiful images of sweden, so I forsee myself getting a d70s from the bns here, or try to loan a camera from my friends. They will unlikely lend me for 1 mth overseas. or loan a camera from any rental. or buy a d80 and spend lesser in sweden. sounds rather sad to go there without any money.

my parents will most probably be unhappy if they know i "splurge" on cameras. and i'm sort off in some financial diffculties. contradicting huh. argh.

Get a PnS?

sweden is ok if u live off the supermarkets and stay away from the restaurants and hotdog stands..

and yes u'll definitely whack urself if u go there without a camera.

get a cheap 2nd hand d70s, a kit lens and a tripod and u're set to go.

A good PnS or Prosumer, 2nd hand ($200 - $500) would be great if you know how to get the best from it. I've got some very nice 11x17 enlargements hanging on my wall from my prosumer. DSLR will not give you better results if you don't know how to realise it's full potential, and the last thing you would want to do is agonise over technicalities on a 'once in a lifetime trip'. Keep the marnie for more fun stuff in Sweden, IMHO.

definately not a pns anymore. i'll should be able to handle it. i've use several dslr before. didnt purchase my own due to budget constraints and time. i dont shoot regularly. Last time, if i need, i could easily borrow from my friends and use the sch's. now it's time for me to get my own dslr. so i'm thinking maybe i should invest in d80 instead.

buy D40x , MS color selling $1150 ;)

I think it all depends alot on your total budget for the trip, and where your priorities are. IMO, DSLRs are nice to have, not need to have. (when compared to PnS) If you can spare the cash, of course, by all means, go for a DSLR. Else, I feel that a PnS is enough. Remember, you still have to get lenses, batts, tripod etc along with your DSLR.

If what you are after is landscape, you'd probably use ISO 100 and tripod. On that aspect, I found the difference between my old Sony F series (any of the F707/717/828) and DSLR negligible. The inferior high ISO performance of Sony F series is offset by the fast lens. For general use I found the ISO 100 f/2 of the Sony F series on par with ISO 400 f/4 of DSLR. The f/2 of Sony F series probably has more DOF than f/4 of 1.5/1.6x crop factor DSLR.

frankly speaking. i am using my Coolpix S7c when i go travelling. so small and compact and the image quality it gives me, rather not bad i must say. but of course you will need to post process it.

do not tell me to NPNT. its futile. :bsmilie:

canon S3 IS also not bad !! :thumbsup:

if your finances cant afford you a Dslr, its actually ok because nowadays a small PNS can go a pretty good job already. ;)

Scandinavia in general is quite ex but also depend on which part u are visiting. Stockholm is ex ex ex.... Then like what the others said, cook ur own loh.
In terms of photography, maybe buy a 2nd hand DSLR and stuff if you are one of those who will feel tortured without shooting.
But sometimes during travelling, I felt photography being a burden, especially when your got a tight schedule. For example, when you only got 1/2 an hour to visit a place, most of the photographers will spend like 20min shooting and 10min actually looking and immersing into the environment. And you will probably come back to the country within the next five years.
So, if you are on a tight budget and schedule, why not just relax and absorb their culture and environment. You will probably appreciate them better when you come back next time.
that way, a PnS is good enough
But most CS photographers will probably too reluctant to let go of photography when travelling

Borrow a P&S camera.. Enjoy yourself there. ;) It's like taking fireworks, either enjoy the whole show or just shoot shoot shoot!

i survived on bread, eggs n the caviar... buy frm supermarket. e bread there r so nice tat u kip eatin it.
308579385_1d77ccf81b.jpg

get a camera within ur budget... no dslr it's okay...cuz u still can visit sweden agani when u start to earn enuf $$ to tour the whole place... 先苦后甜

for landscape scenery shots, the different between prosumer and DSLR won't be too great if they are on low ISO setting, the main advantage of DSLR is able to use ultra wide angle or fish eye. May be slightly better colour graduation output. Night shots just use tripod. If you are taking a lot of portrait or in door shots, then DSLR may make some differences.

hey sylvia, I lived in Jonkoping for awhile just last year and would be glad to share with you what I know. I was attending school at Hogskolan i Jonkoping at HLK.

The guys are right, if you can do your own cooking and eat simple it's really not too bad, I suppose then the most expensive thing would be rent. As for transport you can get a monthy bus pass for 400kronors (abt 100sgd) but frankly speaking with jonkoping being so small you could walk anywhere. Weather's great about now so trust me you'll love it.

As for camera, if you really want to go on a tight budget you can buy a 2nd hand film dlsr and film can be had for pretty cheap, there's a store down at A6 I think klaus and something (can't remember) where they sell film in bulk. Don't buy from the "photo" shops as the prices there will be twice as high. You'll be hardpressed to find decent camera stores in jonkoping anyway it's just got a population of 200,000. What you do get is magnificent sunrises/sunsets, a great view of lake vattern and lots of ducks ;p

Feel free to drop me an email or msn me at peapilot@starhub.net.sg for any specific enquiries!

Seriously, I think a PnS will suit you better. I think PnS gies better flexibility and fits into your budget constraint, do bring a tripod AND a table tripod along, I find these 2 are more impt than camera for landscape shots, expecially since landscape shots look so fabulous in HDR. haha

I intend to get a D80 after my exams, however i made last minute decision to go to Jönköping, Sweden for 1 month of summer studies. And this further drive me to get my own dslr. But due to budget constraints and i have no idea how much i'll need in sweden. I cant decide if i should get my dslr now. I assume i probably need 2K even if i bring instant noodles there. and i have less than 2 weeks of break after my exams, before i leave for sweden. i wont have sufficient time to find a job.

I will not forgive myself for not capturing beautiful images of sweden, so I forsee myself getting a d70s from the bns here, or try to loan a camera from my friends. They will unlikely lend me for 1 mth overseas. or loan a camera from any rental. or buy a d80 and spend lesser in sweden. sounds rather sad to go there without any money.

my parents will most probably be unhappy if they know i "splurge" on cameras. and i'm sort off in some financial diffculties. contradicting huh. argh.

OK to answer your question more specifically.
Rental of apartment will set you back about $400-500 a month at Raslatt (almost about as cheap as you can get).
Good news is if you're staying at Raslatt you get get a monthly bus ticket discount for half price (200kr instead of 400kr) which is about $50. (Bad news is if you stay there you can't walk to downtown ;p )
If you should decide to stay at Raslatt, the supermarkets around there's pretty cheap too. If you miss asian food, there's an asian van that goes to Raslatt on thursdays and you can get a whole load of stuff there.

If you don't stay at Raslatt, fret not, there are quite a few asian stores there and it should be enough to satisfy your craving for a month. Likewise, you don't need to bring instant noodles to Jonkoping, you can buy them at the asian marts and most supermarkets.

The most common supermarket in Jonkoping is Konsum, but it's not the cheapest, it's just most convenient. To save a few bucks, go to ICA if you're not staying in Raslatt. It is in the city center next to Juneporten, which is just a short walk from Hogsokolan i Jonkoping where I assume you'll be attending school.

If you're in Raslatt, go to Willy's. Cheapest hands down.

Eating out will cost you on average about $10sgd per meal. But in all fairness you do get pretty big portions. The cheapest places to eat are usually at the kebab places and pizza joints. Another thing you might want to note is that the orient house (near juneporten) offers kebab brod (bread with grilled meat and vegetables) for 25kr on weekdays, student special. That was one of my favourite :p

Now that the weather is good don't forget to visit Granna. It's a small town famous for making candies. There are regular buses running the route it shouldn't be difficult to make your way there. Likewise, if hit Granna don't forget to visit Visingso, it's a beautiful little island in lake Vattern known for scenic and nature.

I share with you all these because I thoroughly enjoyed my stay in Jonkoping and I hope you would too. One month is too short to spend getting to know a place, even a small town like Jonkoping, so I hope all these can be of some use to you in your short stay there.

Cheers!

Get a Fujifilm F40fd for $483 (GST included) or less, or an F31fd instead.

stick w the D80. you'll be happily shooting away. you won't spend too much time eating anyway.. bread and butter will do.
hahaha

Get a Pentax K100D. Selling at only SGD 800++ VR/IS on every lens!:bsmilie:

I share with you all these because I thoroughly enjoyed my stay in Jonkoping and I hope you would too. One month is too short to spend getting to know a place, even a small town like Jonkoping, so I hope all these can be of some use to you in your short stay there.

Cheers!

Thanks alot for all your comments. Btw, I managed to convince my friend to loan me his d70s. So money is saved.

Regarding the sweden trip, i will be at stockholm for the first few days, have yet to look for accomodation. and for the next 3 weeks, i'll be in Jonkoping University. the sch coordinator will make housing reservations for us, however i have not recieve any information yet, most probably next week. so i have no idea where i will be staying.

and maybe for the last few days, i will most probably visit goteborg. or you guys have other suggestions? btw, is the car rental cheap?

Status
Not open for further replies.