Sweating = moisture = bad to camera?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shen siung

May 21, 2008
hi there,

even this question seems weird, but I always has a sweating palm. Will this cause any obvious problem / potential problem to a SLR? As I suppose sweating = moisture = bad to camera....

Thanks

There'd probably be sweat stains... But that's about it. It's a camera, not paper...

But if you're really concerned, you may consider wearing gloves.

even this question seems weird, but I always has a sweating palm. Will this cause any obvious problem / potential problem to a SLR? As I suppose sweating = moisture = bad to camera....

What are you shooting that causes your palms to sweat so much? :bsmilie:

Unless you have sweat dripping off your palms, there shouldn't be any problem. As others mentioned, the grip may disintegrate / come off, but the camera itself should be OK. You can also consider something like Camera Armor, but personally I won't bother.

if u are worried, give ur gears a good wipe-down at the end of the day with a moist cloth or disposable wet wipe. :)

I've got sweaty palms too and sometimes can be quite bad too. Luckily my cameras are still working fine and the grip of the cameras are still as the same as before. Guess you don't have to worry too much and keep shooting.

It is a good practise to run through the camera and any gear with a wet cloth and quickly with a dry cloth. Best to do it at the end of each day shoot and more so for users with sweaty palms. Also if you happen to go the beach, caught in the rain or any water splash, do the same.

What are you shooting that causes your palms to sweat so much? :bsmilie:

Hmm, just shooting as normal, but usually this sweating happens in hot and humid environment, in countries with colder weather (less humid) less sweating...

It is a good practise to run through the camera and any gear with a wet cloth and quickly with a dry cloth. Best to do it at the end of each day shoot and more so for users with sweaty palms. Also if you happen to go the beach, caught in the rain or any water splash, do the same.

ic... when talking about wet / moist cloth, is it only apply to the surface of the camera body?
Or, the method can also be applied on lenses (caught in the rain or any water splash)?

Thanks a lot as I'm quite new to these maintenance related tips.. :)

hi there,

Thanks

my advice is to change the subject from xmm to something more compatible with your camera and hands.

that way, you will not sweat so much.

jokes aside.. no, why would moisture be bad to your camera, when it is on the exterior? moisture only raises issues of fungal growth.. which can be resolved with dry cabinet usage.

Umph, we use Pentax and it's not an issue so far..

But i sometimes pick up another photog's Nikon and..
I know it's just personal opinion, but so many of them have this odor and feel bad to the touch :(

But it's their cam and their "feel", so since they're the users they might feel all right with it.

I know it's just personal opinion, but so many of them have this odor and feel bad to the touch :(

But it's their cam and their "feel", so since they're the users they might feel all right with it.

Sorry, not quite understand... is it mean Nikon can stand sweats better?

I think xylestesins meant the opposite, that his / her Pentax holds up to sweat better than Nikon.
Yeah. My Pentax also no issue. The rubber grip still looks as new as before. It's very resistant to sweat and wear.

Umph, we use Pentax and it's not an issue so far..

very interesting!
can i safely conclude Pentax is 'sweat-resistant'?

my guess is not the camera itself having the odor, but the neck-strap or hand-strap being the likely culprit..
please do not throw brand names into such sweat issues.

sorry i never use nikon camera before,

but my pentax no stains one :bsmilie:

hi there,

Thanks

might cause the camera to shrink.

minox_dcc_lm3-4_hand_mr3_g.jpg

hi there,

Thanks

:) It should not be a problem. The thing is to protect your camera from knocks or drop and the rain. My 350D had been dropped by my dad before in the snow and also crushed by the mrt train door before. That time I thought 'walao, liao', but it still functions like normal.

Trying hard not to cause any brand conflicts between this, but there's a tradeoff, to be fair.

Nikon is famed for it's good grip and comfy ergonomics, but it MIGHT give you some sweat issues.

Pentax rubber is hard and stiff, some like it some don't, but it keeps sweat off better (maybe?).

Neoprene is always a bad source of sweat collection. The Pentax provided strap is made of suede, i suspect it might stink with enough sweating too. My film camera uses the voigtlander strap (The A&A one) , it looks thin but it's strong and holds up cameras very nicely without causing any strain at all, miraculously. The Pentax strap is actually quite uncomfy (IMO), i love my voigtlander strap alot better. And it doesn't seem to suck much sweat at all

Last edited:
Trying hard not to cause any brand conflicts between this, but there's a tradeoff, to be fair.

Nikon is famed for it's good grip and comfy ergonomics, but it MIGHT give you some sweat issues.

Pentax rubber is hard and stiff, some like it some don't, but it keeps sweat off better (maybe?).

Neoprene is always a bad source of sweat collection. The Pentax provided strap is made of suede, i suspect it might stink with enough sweating too. My film camera uses the voigtlander strap (The A&A one) , it looks thin but it's strong and holds up cameras very nicely without causing any strain at all, miraculously. The Pentax strap is actually quite uncomfy (IMO), i love my voigtlander strap alot better. And it doesn't seem to suck much sweat at all

Well thanks! This info really enlighten me. I never knew there are some plastic materials quite withstand sweats.... :)

Well now I know sweating won't really hurt the cam, just that I feel uneasy with the stink, he he.

Status
Not open for further replies.