Sweat and Camera

rdhalla

Jun 4, 2011
Singapore
rdhallafoto.tumblr.com
Hello! :)
I hope you are all doing well.

I wanted to ask and may be someone has the answer.
I use 7D and when taking photos in hot weather somtimes hand will get sweaty due to prolonged holding of the camera and its very annoy and sometimes disgusting. So i keep wiping my camera and my hands over and over.! I hate sweat but i cannot do anything about it.

I was wondering if anyone has a solution to it? Like a GLOVE or somthing that people can wear when shooting? to prevent the camera getting sweat on.
Having iodine in sweat it will leave white residue in the filaments of the camera rubber( if you know what I am talking about) ;)

SOO any solutions? Any glove out there. ?

thanks

Last edited:
Hello! :)
I hope you are all doing well.

I wanted to ask and may be someone has the answer.
I use 7D and when taking photos in hot weather somtimes hand will get sweaty due to prolonged holding of the camera and its very annoy and sometimes disgusting. So i keep wiping my camera and my hands over and over.! I hate sweat but i cannot do anything about it.

I was wondering if anyone has a solution to it? Like a GLOVE or somthing that people can wear when shooting? to prevent the camera getting sweat on.
Having iodine in sweat it will leave whote residue in the filaments of the camera rubber( if you know what I am talking about) ;)

SOO any solutions? Any glove out there. ?

thanks

Well... there is nothing we can do if you tends to sweat quite a bit. But you can paste duct tape or Camo tape over your camera (at the location of your grip) to 'protect' it from your sweat. Of course do check and change that tape as and when needed because if pasted there for some time, it might have residue left on it.

I wouldn't recommend glove, it is already very hot in Singapore weather, wearing glove will make your hand sweat more and it will not be too comfortable.

...Having iodine in sweat it will leave white residue in the filaments of the camera rubber( if you know what I am talking about) ;)

Are you sure there is IODINE in sweat?

Sweating is a normal body function. Best to get used to it and get rid of the aversion.
Wipe the camera with a damp cloth when you get home to remove sweat and any stains that may have formed already. If you really want to use gloves then get some for bicycle or motorbike: mesh material and rubber to prevent slipping at finger tips. You can wash them if necessary. But do note: the rough material (Kevlar) might cause abrasions of the paint or rubber at the camera body and the knobs / buttons. Decide what is more important for you.

Wow. Learnt something new today! Having said that, the white stuff left behind from sweating is probably salt rather than iodine. :)
Yes, it is not pure Iodine, rather some salts where Iodine is mixed in.

Thank you everyone for the response. Yes there is some percentage of iodine in the sweat :)
When i said Gloves. I meant like those thin liners, Not like winter gloves haha. I dont sweat a lot but just my hands. I'll try to look more in to this matter and incase i get around a way i'll post it here. :) Thank you everyone.

Last edited:
Personally, I feel that even the thinnest form of glove regardless of material will cause heat to be trapped in there and cause more sweating. Why not just clean the rubber grip part after use?

Thank you everyone for the response. Yes there is some percentage of iodine in the sweat :)
When i said Gloves. I meant like those thin liners, Not like winter gloves haha. I dont sweat a lot but just my hands. I'll try to look more in to this matter and incase i get around a way i'll post it here. :) Thank you everyone.

This is somthing i found, Its a silk liner and looks pretty thin. I would probably cut out the wrist area on the glove ( Refering to that fat badding over the wrist area) and sew it. ! hope that will work.

http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/Pure-Sil...boarding_Clothing_LE&var=&hash=item1e5fd1ed12

http://www.landsend.com/products/me..._187942?cm_mmc=CA-_-RT2014-_-Google-_-Dynamic

Have you try wearing a glove in hot sunny Singapore before, no matter how thin it is? Let me tell you... and maybe it is just me, I try wearing a glove, not the winter type but a thin white glove once... my hand started to sweat in a couple of minute. Not comfortable at all. This is why, I advise that you ditch the gloves and either,

1) clean your grip every now and then,
2) Put on some tape on the grip to protect it, then remove those tape once in a while to change new ones so that there will be no residue left on it.

rdhalla,

Any chance you have sweaty palms?

My ex-colleague has it.
As we were in engineering line, he always wore gloves when inspecting metal fabricated parts that were not surface coated (eg chromium plating)

Some claim that Botox can put a stop to it. But please check with a physician before going for any treatment.

EisMann

rdhalla,

Any chance you have sweaty palms?

My ex-colleague has it.
As we were in engineering line, he always wore gloves when inspecting metal fabricated parts that were not surface coated (eg chromium plating)

Some claim that Botox can put a stop to it. But please check with a physician before going for any treatment.

EisMann

Hello Rhino and Eismann, No i do not have sweaty palms, Its regular like everyone else. I do not over sweat or anything. I always feel when its moist the grip becomes slippery. I always have the strap on.

I think i will just ditch the gloves as most of people recommended not to use and and get use to sweaty grip hehehe. I'll wipe it constantly and buy a softcloth to cleanup :D

I am new to Singapore so still getting use to the weather here. :'(

Thank you.

Hello Rhino and Eismann, No i do not have sweaty palms, Its regular like everyone else. I do not over sweat or anything. I always feel when its moist the grip becomes slippery. I always have the strap on.

I think i will just ditch the gloves as most of people recommended not to use and and get use to sweaty grip hehehe. I'll wipe it constantly and buy a softcloth to cleanup :D

I am new to Singapore so still getting use to the weather here. :'(

Thank you.

I am someone who when asked if I perspire .. I say I SWEAT like a horse. To the point, out in the sun for less then 30 mins doing something physical (including photo taking) I can have a tee or polo shirt soaked thru and you can rinse the sweat from it or drip to my pants LOL. That's to give you an idea how wet I can get. Suffice to say I never had it bad for all camera gears due to it. A trick i know from my early years of playing tennis in the outdoor courts.. the use of cotton wrist bands like those still sold for racket games by Nike or Adidas for example. I use them in my tennis game to minimize the sweat from making my racket grip slippery. As I sweat a lot from the arm down to my hand/palm, the sweat bands will contain the sweat from going further then my wrist. If bands gets too wet as play for hours in the sun, I just change to a spare set or two. I don't use it for photo shooting as the sweat has never really bothered me that much. Also when not holding the camera, it is at my side to due my Black Rapid sling strap, my arm resting on my side will be resting on my camera/lens which means sweating touching it. The sweat thingy to me is more a mind thing then something I care too much or worry. I also have with me 1-2 dry cloths to wipe down if ever.

Apart form that you have to make a habit to change your gear when you are finished using them at the end of the day or after a week of use. I never had any issues with grip rubber or other parts of the cameras spoiling due to sweat being the main culprit in more then 30yrs. Go home wipe it down with a lightly damped cloth follow with a dry cloth and leave to settle in room temp. As a further step for me put my gear away inside my humidity controlled cabinet.

Last part is optional reading and my personal action. This last part is not a MUST do. I have never use a humidity cabinet in my early 20 years and never have issues with moisture or fungus issues given I am always using them thus never a change to sit still and allow fungus to take root and grow. Also I put my gear inside my cupboard which I certify with a humidity meter to have a humidity range of 30-40% humidity rating. A good range that prevent fungus from growing. The reason I use a cabinet now is because I have more cameras, lens and other accessories to store and itchy pockets. heheh... Humidity below 20% and above 55% are the optimal for fungus to grow. But that's for another story.

Last edited:
i wash my hand with soap and dry it clean and straight away handle the camera..it can last quite sometime under the hot day...drys your palms with a dry small handcloth tied to your pouch or somewhere.. BTW..i got serious sweaty palms.....keep the emotion down is just to slow down abit before it starts to drip like tap loose.

Thanks for the input. very informative. Funny that even i never used a dry cabinet in my life and in my career and my camera and equipment have been safe. and since i moved to Singapore 4 years ago . STill never had any issues. Just the more i read about the dry cabinets and how people say its Must. I ended up getting my self. But i have never been able to get hang of it or figure out weather to keep it to L H or M. i am trying to keep the humdity meter between 35- 50. it keeps shuffling. This is a whoel different topic.

My gloves have arrived. I have to say they are very thin I can see my skin though, :) I'll give it a shot. although i read many people said i will sweat more. :D Lets see.

Thanks for the input. very informative. Funny that even i never used a dry cabinet in my life and in my career and my camera and equipment have been safe. and since i moved to Singapore 4 years ago . STill never had any issues. Just the more i read about the dry cabinets and how people say its Must. I ended up getting my self. But i have never been able to get hang of it or figure out weather to keep it to L H or M. i am trying to keep the humdity meter between 35- 50. it keeps shuffling. This is a whoel different topic.

My gloves have arrived. I have to say they are very thin I can see my skin though, :) I'll give it a shot. although i read many people said i will sweat more. :D Lets see.

Some areas of the world a dry cab is not needed. For example in California the average humidity is 30-50 % RH. If you own guitars there you actually need to get humidifiers for your guitars to prevent them from cracking due to low humidity.

Also if you store your equipment in an environment that is always air conditioned in sg, you do not need a dry cab too.

I play golf and the gloves used do not cause one to sweat more. The normal ones are for left hand but you could ask the golf shop for a right handed glove.