Suzuki Coffee Moments - Photo Competition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lainey

Nov 13, 2006
Suzuki Coffee Moments – Photo Competition – Sharing a Cuppa

Deeply ingrained into our daily lives, the aromatic brew that is Coffee has touched many of us with its invigorating smell and intense taste. Whether as a bridge from which pacts and friendships are formed, or the heady brew which energizes one through the night, Coffee is omnipresent throughout our society.

Suzuki Coffee invites all coffee aficionados and both professional and amateur photography enthusiasts to share with us their take on how coffee is intertwined with daily life.

1st prize
S$300 in cash
1 night weekend stay at Grand Mercure Roxy Hotel with breakfast for 2 persons
1 year complimentary membership at Planet Fitness
$100.00 IndoChine Dinning Voucher
1 Suzuki Coffee Connoisseur Gift Set

2nd prize
S$100 in cash
1 night stay at Changi Beach Club* conditions apply
6 months complimentary membership at Planet Fitness
$50.00 IndoChine Dining Voucher

3rd prize
S$100 in cash
6 months complimentary membership at Planet Fitness
$50.00 IndoChine Dining Voucher

Terms and Conditions
1. Entries are to be submitted in CD-ROMs together with any empty pack of Suzuki Coffee (200g).
2. Each entry should NOT EXCEED MORE than 5 pictures.
3. Pictures should be original works.
4. Pictures should be in hi-res (at least 300dpi) and saved in .jpeg format.
5. Each picture is to be accompanied with a caption of NOT MORE THAN 100 words.
6. Include your Name, NRIC No., Address and Contact Numbers(s) in your entry.
7. Winners will be noticed by post.
8. Winning entries will be uploaded in Suzuki Coffee website for viewing.
9. Suzuki Coffee holds the copyright to all entries.
10. Winning entries may be published in Suzuki Coffee’s relevant publications.

Selected winners will be notified by post and receive prizes from official sponsors.
Winning entries will be uploaded in our website for viewing.

All entries to be submitted via mail to:
Suzuki Coffee Moments Photo Competition
Sarika Food & Beverage (S) Pte Ltd
10 Chin Bee Avenue
Singapore 619934

Closing Date: 30 November 2006

Note: Competition open to residents in Singapore only.

care to explain this part?

now not only the winner right has seized.... but all send in photos...
is this the common scene in all SINGAPORE photo competition?
:thumbsd: :thumbsd: :thumbsd:

now not only the winner right has seized.... but all send in photos...
is this the common scene in all SINGAPORE photo competition?
:thumbsd: :thumbsd: :thumbsd:

i'm waiting for a reply... lets not point the thumb down so fast... :cool:

seize winner's right, with prize as return, is deemed 'appropriate' since there is a fair trade.

but for all entries, and note the criteria, you have to patronise them, then submit the fotos and let them own the copyright... thats well... waiting for official reply.

i'm waiting for a reply... lets not point the thumb down so fast... :cool:

seize winner's right, with prize as return, is deemed 'appropriate' since there is a fair trade.

but for all entries, and note the criteria, you have to patronise them, then submit the fotos and let them own the copyright... thats well... waiting for official reply.

don't think they will give you their answer... now this is the pattern of the organiser to get tonne of photos and pick whatever they want, do whatever they want.

somemore got to buy kopi powder ...

"1. Entries are to be submitted in CD-ROMs together with any empty pack of Suzuki Coffee (200g)."

Suzuki Coffee's interest in the arts extends to photography as well. This is not the first competition, the previous one was on poetry.

About the copyrights issue, the company has intention to showcase the photos from the competition in their website, literature and potentially a photo exhibition. Participants can see it as exposure and publicity for themselves as they will be credited if their works appear in any platform pertaining to the competition.

In addition, the investment into the advertising and the prizes for the campaign far surpasses that of buying stock images. Hence, please do not see it as exploitation. Rather, it is a move to encourage photography.

Suzuki Coffee's interest in the arts extends to photography as well. This is not the first competition, the previous one was on poetry.

About the copyrights issue, the company has intention to showcase the photos from the competition in their website, literature and potentially a photo exhibition. Participants can see it as exposure and publicity for themselves as they will be credited if their works appear in any platform pertaining to the competition.

In addition, the investment into the advertising and the prizes for the campaign far surpasses that of buying stock images. Hence, please do not see it as exploitation. Rather, it is a move to encourage photography.

i suppose you should add that in your line when you wrote it instead, and dun mix credits with copyrights, when credits own by that company, means the company can do whatever they like with the image what so ever with or without consent from the photographer, and giving credits, the company should acknowledge and consent should be obtained.

In your terms, you should change to 'Any image submitted will be copyright of its original owner, if images was used by Suzuki Coffee will be properly credited accordingly."

look it this way. This photography competition was targetted at the professionals. I'm not sure about the working full time pros, but quality freelancers whose photos are wanted, they get more than $200 per simple photo anyway without selling the rights, 1 hours work can easily hit over $1k (think: 3 photos in 1 hour).

Looking at those people whose photos aren't wanted by commercial entities anyway..
How many of you make $300 for the rights of each photo you take?
How many of you make even $100 for those rights?
How many of you can even get a major commercial entity to put your photos up in their site for free even if you give them the rights for free?

Are your photos even comparable with those making so much more per photo? If they are, why even kaopei here? If you think your photos are so good, then go pick up commercial assignments lar. sell your rights at $500 per photo if you can.

a 4 hour product shoot @ $1k, why even bother with such competitions?
a simple 4 hour model shoot @ $1k, (1 hour of which is make up etc..) why come here complain?

Me, i'm not affliated with suzuki coffee. I've not even heard of such a coffee brand. I always associated suzuki with cars. I think this is just like the BnS forum. If you don't like the terms or the price, leave them alone lar. Caveat emptor.

look it this way. This photography competition was targetted at the professionals. I'm not sure about the working full time pros, but quality freelancers whose photos are wanted, they get more than $200 per simple photo anyway without selling the rights, 1 hours work can easily hit over $1k (think: 3 photos in 1 hour).

Looking at those people whose photos aren't wanted by commercial entities anyway..
How many of you make $300 for the rights of each photo you take?
How many of you make even $100 for those rights?
How many of you can even get a major commercial entity to put your photos up in their site for free even if you give them the rights for free?

Are your photos even comparable with those making so much more per photo? If they are, why even kaopei here? If you think your photos are so good, then go pick up commercial assignments lar. sell your rights at $500 per photo if you can.

a 4 hour product shoot @ $1k, why even bother with such competitions?
a simple 4 hour model shoot @ $1k, (1 hour of which is make up etc..) why come here complain?

Me, i'm not affliated with suzuki coffee. I've not even heard of such a coffee brand. I always associated suzuki with cars. I think this is just like the BnS forum. If you don't like the terms or the price, leave them alone lar. Caveat emptor.

if u wanna kaopei, go somewhere else lor... dun come in & tell ppl to kaopei...

obviously u are misguided, and u are just one obvious person who quarrel for the sake of it. competition is fun, no doubt, but to make it a fair 1, i stated down the facts, so u mean that if you got nothing to do, enter a competition, then you hope that you don't win and hopefully your pics get leeched? thats your satisfaction?

i'm not against the prize (not price), nor the company, i'm only stating no9 wasn't fair.

btw. your 1st line was wrong, it should be not targeted at professionals instead.

if u wanna kaopei, go somewhere else lor... dun come in & tell ppl to kaopei...

obviously u are misguided, and u are just one obvious person who quarrel for the sake of it. competition is fun, no doubt, but to make it a fair 1, i stated down the facts, so u mean that if you got nothing to do, enter a competition, then you hope that you don't win and hopefully your pics get leeched? thats your satisfaction?

i'm not against the prize (not price), nor the company, i'm only stating no9 wasn't fair.

btw. your 1st line was wrong, it should be not targeted at professionals instead.

you're right, my 1st line left out a "not" :bsmilie:

Otherwise. If you read my post, I'm saying that no.9 is fair enough given the target audience.

Suppose you decide to participate, you didn't win, are you in any better/worse position should the rights remain solely with you, or with the organizer?

Are you even sure that the rights of your photos are worth even a single cent, that it's unfair for the organizers to be using your photos whatever way they like?

If your rights of photos are worth as much as you think, then you wouldn't be looking at this competition. You wouldn't even bother.

I agree that some hobbyists produce photos better than alot of (local) professionals, and highly likely those guys would find the terms unfair. However there are a few multi-thousand dollar competitions going on of even greater prestige, so why would those fellas come bother with this small competition? For those hobbyists who don't know of any other competitions than those posted, it's a case of caveat emptor.

Why don't you guys go complain that to some of the MO holders that their prices are unfair, because it's cheaper (better) elsewhere locally? Or some of the 2nd hand sellers are basically robbers, trying to sell their few year old items practically at prices of brand new ones?
There's alot more of these people for you to talk about unfair than competitions.

you're right, my 1st line left out a "not" :bsmilie:

Otherwise. If you read my post, I'm saying that no.9 is fair enough given the target audience.

Suppose you decide to participate, you didn't win, are you in any better/worse position should the rights remain solely with you, or with the organizer?

Are you even sure that the rights of your photos are worth even a single cent, that it's unfair for the organizers to be using your photos whatever way they like?

If your rights of photos are worth as much as you think, then you wouldn't be looking at this competition. You wouldn't even bother.

I agree that some hobbyists produce photos better than alot of (local) professionals, and highly likely those guys would find the terms unfair. However there are a few multi-thousand dollar competitions going on of even greater prestige, so why would those fellas come bother with this small competition? For those hobbyists who don't know of any other competitions than those posted, it's a case of caveat emptor.

Why don't you guys go complain that to some of the MO holders that their prices are unfair, because it's cheaper (better) elsewhere locally? Or some of the 2nd hand sellers are basically robbers, trying to sell their few year old items practically at prices of brand new ones?
There's alot more of these people for you to talk about unfair than competitions.

But things have to start somewhere, if everyone just thinks like you, then all hopes for copyright goes down the drain. Just imagine this... if every other tom, dick & harry company just goes to CS and post a cheapo competition for the sake of 'art', gets about 1000 pictures, randomly choose 3 pictures and issue out, then later, takes 100 pics to do a montage or something about their coffee, and other advertisement, isn't it depriving the other 97 person of their rights?

its at least if u get 1st to 3rd prize u get recognition and prize, the rest don't...

basically, if you say about those MOers, 2nd hand sellers, not relevant to this scenario...

for every submission to release their copyright is unfair
for winning entries to release their copyright is fair

for every submission to release their copyright is unfair
for winning entries to release their copyright is fair

I agree with the above.
Not winning a single cent from this competition...
And who knows? They still use your "non-winning" photo in their advertisement somewhere else in the world and thus making millions outta it.
And you dont get a single cent still...

8. Winning entries will be uploaded in Suzuki Coffee website for viewing.

Can you provide the link to the website?

basket!!! pay $300 for first prize and still want to hold rights to all pictures ah??? what bull crap!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.