Survivors from Dayang 30 Mar to 1 Apr

Status
Not open for further replies.

jelimon

Jan 22, 2007
virgin dives for my A640 and Inon D2000S. Only these are the decent ones, the rest just went straight to the trash can. Would love C&C still, thanks!

clownfish1.jpg

clownfish2.jpg

clownfish3.jpg

seasomething1.jpg

seasomething2.jpg

first shot would've been very nice if there was better lighting. i guess your strobe must have been aimed from the side. try aiming above the port next time for macro shots?

All pictures seem like randomly taken without composition. What setting did you use? Seems like auto but the EXIF suggest shutter priority.

first shot would've been very nice if there was better lighting. i guess your strobe must have been aimed from the side. try aiming above the port next time for macro shots?

alvin - u're rite abt the positioning. was trying to figure out the best position for each different subject but didn't think of going above the port. thanks!

All pictures seem like randomly taken without composition. What setting did you use? Seems like auto but the EXIF suggest shutter priority.

crusher - i was in manual mode.

crusher - i was in manual mode.

One thing about Canon A-series is that they don't have auto flash adjustment in manual mode, so it is very hard to get the correct exposure when shooting with flash on. Maybe that's why so many of your pictures ended up in trash can.

For me I never shoot with manual mode underwater. There is no time for try and error, the fish is not going to wait for you get the correct setting. I either use P mode when I am not using flash and shutter priority when I am using flash.

Nice job Jelimon!

thanks!
What settings did you use?

1/400, f/3.2 for the nemos. can't remember the rest but think u can check frm the exif data

One thing about Canon A-series is that they don't have auto flash adjustment in manual mode, so it is very hard to get the correct exposure when shooting with flash on. Maybe that's why so many of your pictures ended up in trash can.

For me I never shoot with manual mode underwater. There is no time for try and error, the fish is not going to wait for you get the correct setting. I either use P mode when I am not using flash and shutter priority when I am using flash.

i reduced my flash output to the minimum in manual and blocked out the internal flash with a black piece of something that came with the fibre optic cable - rational is that i need just enough light to trigger the strobe, but i could be wrong. how i knw that the camera flash is not affecting the exposure very much is cos at one pt, i forgot to turn on the strobe (DUH!) and everything was black at 1/300 and f/2.8.

have heard frm other shooters to go on Tv mode but i ended up having to tweak both aperture n shutter settings in manual. maybe i'm using the wrong shutter speed in Tv?

pics end up in the trash for 2 reasons - trying out the different settings (therefore over n under exposed pics) and OOF cos lighting was poor.

try your highest f-stop and a fast shutter speed, steep learning curve but more pleasing results as you improve... ;)

okie, will do that next weekend. Does it mean i adjust the exposure using the EV settings on the strobe? I used Low s-TTL for most of my shots.
BTW, am collecting the ikelite housing n Inon macro lens today ;) finally took the plunge. bf's not gonna be very happy abt this...:bsmilie:

hahaha.... luckily i've no gf at the moment otherwise defn will kill me. just got a 2nd Z-240 and a wide angle lens yesterday. gonna sell my d-180 after i get back from the trip this weekend.

higher f-stop and shutter speed freezes more of the action and usually gives a darker background which i like. strobes i usually use manual settings and adjust as necessary. ;p

oh yah ivan/dylan was telling me you can try borrowing his wide angle lens once he gets it back from malaysia... ;)

hahaha.... luckily i've no gf at the moment otherwise defn will kill me. just got a 2nd Z-240 and a wide angle lens yesterday. gonna sell my d-180 after i get back from the trip this weekend.

higher f-stop and shutter speed freezes more of the action and usually gives a darker background which i like. strobes i usually use manual settings and adjust as necessary. ;p

oh yah ivan/dylan was telling me you can try borrowing his wide angle lens once he gets it back from malaysia... ;)

wah...that's a lot of spending :nono: hahahaha, pot calling the kettle black.
i like the darker backgrounds as well cos it somehow makes the subject more outstanding. THough i rem sprain had this amazing pic of a purple nudi against a blue background. am gonna try to get something like that next week. Besides aperture, what other settings should i play with for that effect?

pls thank ivan for me, that's very generous of him. Will arrange with him to see if it's possible to bring it along for next week's trip.

i think you should understand how the aperture, shutter, and ISO interact to control exposure. it'll be alot easier to figure out how to achieve the type of images you want.

u/w photography isn't exactly rocket science, but it sure costs a bomb!
((=

i reduced my flash output to the minimum in manual and blocked out the internal flash with a black piece of something that came with the fibre optic cable - rational is that i need just enough light to trigger the strobe, but i could be wrong. how i knw that the camera flash is not affecting the exposure very much is cos at one pt, i forgot to turn on the strobe (DUH!) and everything was black at 1/300 and f/2.8.

have heard frm other shooters to go on Tv mode but i ended up having to tweak both aperture n shutter settings in manual. maybe i'm using the wrong shutter speed in Tv?

pics end up in the trash for 2 reasons - trying out the different settings (therefore over n under exposed pics) and OOF cos lighting was poor.
When using s-TTL, the strobe is just mimcking the output from your internal flash. Since the flash level is preset in manual mode, you won't get the perfect flash exposure from your internal flash, hence over & underexposed pictures. You should also use centre focus instead of the AIAF, lock focus yourself instead of letting the camera doing it for you.

okie, will do that next weekend. Does it mean i adjust the exposure using the EV settings on the strobe? I used Low s-TTL for most of my shots.
BTW, am collecting the ikelite housing n Inon macro lens today ;) finally took the plunge. bf's not gonna be very happy abt this...:bsmilie:
You can't use s-TTL on manual mode, that's why I suggest you use Tv, use a speed like 1/250s to freeze motion. If you want to use manual mode, you have to manually adjust the flash output of the strobe yourself, that means try and error.

erm woei liang, that's a truckload of stuff to take note of. do i have to pay you for giving so much advice? :bsmilie:

I am learning from here too. :bsmilie: I am going to dayang tonight trying out my new oly 7070 with Z-240 strobe. A bit stress looking at the ikelite housing buttons.

I am learning from here too. :bsmilie: I am going to dayang tonight trying out my new oly 7070 with Z-240 strobe. A bit stress looking at the ikelite housing buttons.

Good luck.. that is tons of multi-tasking there. But if you meet Alvin there..perhaps he can help you. Buy him a beer or something

Prefer you use your camera alone first to know it before getting a strobe on.

I love nemo..and i love the pics. Can I have it as my wallpaper? Big thanks!

Good luck.. that is tons of multi-tasking there. But if you meet Alvin there..perhaps he can help you. Buy him a beer or something

Prefer you use your camera alone first to know it before getting a strobe on.

sold him my single electrical cable, muahahaha.... :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.