[SURVEY] Why Digital?

Why go digital? (Your biggest deciding factor)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Necroist

Jan 27, 2002
www.ragingbox.com
I'm doing a survey for a report, hopefully you guys can help me out.

ST1100 said:
Multiple answers how?
Actually, the plan is to tick your biggest deciding factor, the one that you feel is the most important in contributing to your move to digital.

Thanks for the votes so far btw!

actually i don't find it cheaper in a long run,
1) coz the DSLR is like Computer and handphones it improve every year, thus you would have to upgrade almost every time there's somthing new out.or else you are left out.

but the rest of the option are much up for debate

I would not thing that you "<i>would have</i>" to upgrade. Simply put, computers and technologies are advancing at such rapid pace it's impossible to catch up with it, and I find no reason why I should if I'm happy with my camera. As in, you know, if I get myself a 10 megapix camera today and this 20 megapix camera comes out tomorrow, there's no obligation to get it if the former can serve me well for my needs.

you can change iso every shots.

Goldmember said:
you can change iso every shots.

Couldn't agree more.

So many time I loaded an ISO100 film in my camera for daytime shooting. Then when encountered an interesting subject in evening or night, I just couldnt get a proper shot. (And no, I dont usually carry a tripod around).

Well, my reason for going digital (in the near future and depending on Minolta. :D) would the ability to experiment without fear of development costs...... I think it provides a very shallow learning curve since u can try multiple times and find out how the camera works without waiting for the film and remembering what the situation was exactly like when u review the prints and of course the quality of the prints is also dependent on the studio... so digital has this (to me) very important edge.......

But i think its human nature, maybe the 20megapix is half the price of the 10 megapix, i'm sure you will be tempted to get one and discard the later, if you are a pro will.

bAa said:
I would not thing that you "<i>would have</i>" to upgrade. Simply put, computers and technologies are advancing at such rapid pace it's impossible to catch up with it, and I find no reason why I should if I'm happy with my camera. As in, you know, if I get myself a 10 megapix camera today and this 20 megapix camera comes out tomorrow, there's no obligation to get it if the former can serve me well for my needs.

insport said:
actually i don't find it cheaper in a long run,
1) coz the DSLR is like Computer and handphones it improve every year, thus you would have to upgrade almost every time there's somthing new out.or else you are left out.

Actually, the reason why pple keep upgrading has nothing got to do with technology. Does the introduction of the 10D or the 300D decreased the ability of the D30 to deliver clean and sharp pictures? Does using a 10D automatically make a person produce better pictures than the D60 (photographic skills wise). The reason why pple keep on upgrading is due to their own vainity. (Same goes with handphones actually).

I believe the greatest advantage of digital (at least for me), is the instant review. I find this extremely useful in the persue of photographic artistry as you can see what you've shot and correct it immediately on the spot.

TME said:
Well, my reason for going digital (in the near future and depending on Minolta. :D) would the ability to experiment without fear of development costs...... I think it provides a very shallow learning curve since u can try multiple times and find out how the camera works without waiting for the film and remembering what the situation was exactly like when u review the prints and of course the quality of the prints is also dependent on the studio... so digital has this (to me) very important edge.......

Things which you get easily you forget it easily also....

For business, in my case - All Of The Above. There wasn't, and still isn't a main deciding factor.

For personal use, last option.

How come there's not option for the sheer undeniable quality of the pictures?

Whew!

faster work flow and ease of post production.
if shoot on film, must scan and that take time...
but the resolution of films scanners supercede all but the most expensive dslrs
so thats a plus for film...

andylee said:
Things which you get easily you forget it easily also....

I'm not so sure about that...... i tend to remember these kind of things...... :)

Jed said:
How come there's not option for the sheer undeniable quality of the pictures?

Whew!

Film better quality than digital? I'm not sure about this..... not necessary I guess.......

Someone told me once that analogue cameras (i.e. film) is better because it is analogue, there is not sampling rate unlike digital so it is a more faithful reproduction of the actual scene and can capture a lot of the intangibles.......
Any comments?

OK, this is the answer.

If you want fast and convenient, go for digital.
If you want quality of photo that make you "wow!", go for film.

It will take a longer time for digital to go into a quality equivalent to film, about 1*MP. If it is affordable, I will switch to digital definitely.

Another disavantages of digital is the micro computer drains battery very fast. If you bring it to travel, better prepare additional battery and charger.

Status
Not open for further replies.