Surprise find on a lonely beach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harlequin

Mar 6, 2003
East of Singapore
www.gorgeousfeathers.com
There was hunch telling me to walk to this beach today around late afternoon. Was quite surprised to find these terns doing dive bombing for fish and resting on the sandy beach. Quite a healthy population.

34365390-46c1-02580190-.jpg

34365403-ea9c-02580190-.jpg

34365448-237b-02580190-.jpg

34365383-183c-02580190-.jpg

34365411-ca72-02580190-.jpg

34365424-c709-02580190-.jpg

SniperD said:
woo hoo... definitely top notch.. very nicely captured.. I like the 3rd pic best... :)
Thanks SniperD. At least for a change from Bee-Eaters and Black Shoulder Kites, which have been the favourite birds of the month of May.

These are adult Little Terns. They should be entering into breeding season soon from Mid June till mid Augest. They normally lay their eggs right on the beach.

Wow...nice and sharp! Especially the 1st one - This is what I call 'in-flight' entertainment!

BTW what lens are you using?

Keep shooting man!

Good catch my friend! Heaven has been kind to present you with little terns this time. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Yep, with green background as well. :D

The fellow in the first two shots looks familiar. But then, all adult little terns in breeding plumage looked this way. :confused:

It is an uncommon resident. Thanks for sharing! ;)

Thanks Picard and SK for the comments.

Shot with a 600mm lens.

The green background was purchased from CP....;) ....just kidding. Guess the sea today was not that blue.

Fantastic SHoot.
I very jealous already.

Harlequin said:
Thanks Picard and SK for the comments.

Shot with a 600mm lens.

The green background was purchased from CP....;) ....just kidding. Guess the sea today was not that blue.

Wow... glad to see another Nikon user shooting :thumbsup: Great shots!

Harlequin, I heard lately you haven't been mobolising Garion, chngpe01 and skfoo for shooting :nono:

espn said:
Wow... glad to see another Nikon user shooting :thumbsup: Great shots!

Harlequin, I heard lately you haven't been mobolising Garion, chngpe01 and skfoo for shooting :nono:
Thanks for the comments ESPN.

The mob sometimes is too sudden even for others to join in time. Its much faster than SAF. :D

I like to start very early in the morning around 5am , to catch the first light.

But someone is still in the chatroom hunting for "wildlife" and cannot wake up.

Nice series. I saw lots of Terns recently ... guess it's mating season like what Vinnievinyl stated. :cool:

Fred said:
Nice series. I saw lots of Terns recently ... guess it's mating season like what Vinnievinyl stated. :cool:
Thanks Fred for the comments.
Saw them trying to mate this afternoon but guess they were a bit shy... :embrass: maybe because of a big bazooka staring at them... ;p

Bro Harlequin .... u wanna accept students or not? :D

damm swee pics man ....

What 600mm lens make u using?

wheels said:
Bro Harlequin .... u wanna accept students or not? :D

damm swee pics man ....

What 600mm lens make u using?
Me not up to standards to accept students lah ! Maybe one of these days you can tag along.

Thanks for the comments.

I'm using a Nikon 600mm F4 AFS + 1.4TC with D2H.

Harlequin said:
Saw them trying to mate this afternoon but guess they were a bit shy... :embrass: maybe because of a big bazooka staring at them... ;p

;p Peeping Tom. :bsmilie:

Fred said:

Is it mating season already? :) I saw quite a few doing their "bombing" dive along the canal near clementi ave 5 as well... :)

Wolfgang said:
Is it mating season already? :) I saw quite a few doing their "bombing" dive along the canal near clementi ave 5 as well... :)

The season should start soon if not already started. I have got shots of parent feeding already fledge juvenile on 8th August last year. working back on the time and it should be around now till August

I have seen them almost every weekend through out the whole year around western side of Singapore, so it is pretty safe to say they are resident in Singapore. The problem is that they like to lay their eggs on the beach and right now is school holiday and beaches in singapore are full of school boys and girl. So the season may only start at July. Never the less, it is good to know that the numbers are set to increase.

Status
Not open for further replies.