Jan 17, 2002
Katong
streetshooter.clubsnap.org
Waiting for the perfect wave
IMG_2866.JPG

Catching a good one
IMG_2850.JPG

A word of explanation:

This is NOT Hawaii. This is the East Coast Beach. Obviously, because of the Indonesian islands, we do not have waves large enough to surf. But that does not stop these Malay boys from making their own surfboards out of plywood sheets, and "pretend-surfing" on the small little waves that come in. They do not, of course, paddle out to sea and surf their way in. Rather, they stand at the beach watching for a slightly bigger wave than normal, then run alongside the beach as fast as they can. At the last minute, they throw the surfboard onto the water just as the wave breaks, and for a blissful second and a half, actually coast along on the water from the sheer momentum. Quite fun, actually, and certainly good exercise. There's a whole subculture evolving around this, with surfer chicks lounging around and a whole bunch of other stuff, which I might explore in greater detail in future.

Hey, I saw some of these chaps after my tennis game at East Coast yesterday! What an uncanny coincidence.

I like the 1st pic...very good!!:thumbsup:

Like the first picture

1) It transcend the local geography ( thought it was not in SG)

2) Looks like a classic ( try sepia )

Was this done on DC or a film SLR?

Ben

sigh its times like these where i think...when O when can i afford an SLR!!

Originally posted by eadwine
sigh its times like these where i think...when O when can i afford an SLR!!

I often see the malay boys playing there...haha looks stupid to me. But when try it..u dun wanna stop!! haha. Maybe I join them next time!

Ead..you can afford SLR lah..juz not DIGITAL loh! hehe

Originally posted by siron

I often see the malay boys playing there...haha looks stupid to me. But when try it..u dun wanna stop!! haha. Maybe I join them next time!

Ead..you can afford SLR lah..juz not DIGITAL loh! hehe

U also can lah!! dun talk so much :kok: haha.
when i start work!!! when i start work!!

Er... actually this is a sport ley... not only in Singapore where here's no waves... people else where does this as well.. run and run and run and throw down board to skim a few meters... Saw it on discovery channel... Uses a tiny, wide board that does not have fins... you can buy them... even in SIngapore..

Nice captures...nice bods.. :D

erm...not make their own boards lah...think they bought em'.

Status
Not open for further replies.