Surabaya, Mt Bromo & Malang

Pinoy

Jan 17, 2002
ClubSNAP East
www.flickr.com
Guys,

Me and my friends are planning to spend 4D3N in Surabaya this coming April. Due to restrictions with SilkAir's current promotion, it's actually gonna be more of 3 full days since we'll reach Surabaya only in the evening.

The initial plan is as follows:

Day 1:
- Arrive in Surabaya at 17.50 hrs
- Transfer to Cemoro Lawang. I read Lava View offers the best view of Mt Bromo? How do we book this hotel? :dunno:

Day2 :
- Rise up at around 2am, leave for Mt. Pananjakan.
- After sunrise, go to the base of Mt Bromo then hike up to the crater.
- Return to hotel. Check out.

At this point, it's not quite clear what are the worthy things to do and visit... especially from a photography perspective.

Day 3:

Day 4:
- Return flight at 18.40 hrs

Other than the question above, one thing that I'm unsure of is whether it's worth staying in Cemero Lawang for 2 nights. My thinking is that in doing so, we'll be able to have 2 chances at Bromo sunrise.. you know.. just in case the weather's uncooperative on our first "climb".

What do you guys think?

Appreciate any input given. :)

:Later,

Bromo & Malang are lovely places to go but do check when is the rainy season.

How are you travelling from Surabaya to Bromo? When you arive at 5pm, the public bemos from probolingo up to Bromo will have stopped for the day..... there are plenty of private minibus, but they chop carrot!

Suggest you spend the 1st night at Surabaya and wake up early to catch the bus from bus terminal. If its your 1st time taking public buses in Indon, they only start to move when they are nearly full. You should be able to reach Cemaro Lawang (the place at the edge of Bromo) around noon. Do take a walk around to look at the available accomodations. You will be surprised at 70k Rp rooms so near the edge! Note that the cheap rooms have no attached bath, no sitting WC and no hot water. But you can get a pail of hot water at 15k Rp ......

If budget is no prob, you may want to get a package that include rooms and transfers. If you are on a tight budget, then I may have more tips later.

We contracted Pondok Tours last year (Nov to be exact) for our Yogyakarta trip and apparently they can cover/serve Surabaya as well. They've given a quote of 2.8 million rupiah for 4 days of travelling in and around Surabaya, including Bromo & Malang. This also includes the airport pick up and send off. The vehicle that will be provided can accommodate up to 8 persons so I guess not a bad deal if the total cost is split into 8 persons.

I agreed with MLSK that public transport from Surabaya to Bromo (cemara lawang) is hard to find. Especially at night, that is almost impossible, I think the last mini bus from Probolinggo to Cemara Lawang at 4 / 5 pm. Not considering you have to travel to from Surabaya to Probolinggo.

Are you saying you will rent a car from Pondok Tours to travel around Surabaya and Bromo, If yes, you should consider to rent a 4 WD car as it is really needed if you really want to travel around Bromo. 4WD It is a must in bromo.

I actually was in Bromo last month, it is hard to get sun rise during raining season, it is raining season now. But during dry season, it is cooler there, 0 C . However, It is nice there, I want to go there again probably this year, during dry season.

For the hotel, there is a new hotel, I stayed there for 1 night after moving from other hotel, it is much more better option that rest of the hotel. It is the most expensive one, normal price is around 350k rupiah or 50 SGD per night, inside the room got hot water. I really need hot water in Bromo. I think you can book on line or call them. pm me if you really need more info.

The route you mentioned (mt penanjakan) is the normal one, I would say if I have to take photo, I would find something different. Normal price to rent a jeep (6 person inside a jeep) for normal route = 300k rupiah or ard 50 dollar SGD. at the end, you will be offered to other place, which is also beautiful with additional money 150k rupiah => pasir berbisik and padang savana. others route will be much more expensive!

There are others attraction there but not many people visiting.

Went MT Bromo once...left about 6am and back only about 8pm.

It is quite a long journey from the place I was at but it worth the visit. A 4WD is a must to go all the way to the crater. Should have sulphur emitting from the crater. You may choose to take a horse ride when you past the cafe before proceeding to the crater. It is a good experience but you got to endure the long journey.

Are you saying you will rent a car from Pondok Tours to travel around Surabaya and Bromo, If yes, you should consider to rent a 4 WD car as it is really needed if you really want to travel around Bromo. 4WD It is a must in bromo.
Yes. An ELF bus will be provided for the trip throughout Surabaya, Malang and Bromo. Within Bromo, we'll have to get a 4WD jeep though -- at a separate cost.

I actually was in Bromo last month, it is hard to get sun rise during raining season, it is raining season now. But during dry season, it is cooler there, 0 C . However, It is nice there, I want to go there again probably this year, during dry season.

For the hotel, there is a new hotel, I stayed there for 1 night after moving from other hotel, it is much more better option that rest of the hotel. It is the most expensive one, normal price is around 350k rupiah or 50 SGD per night, inside the room got hot water. I really need hot water in Bromo. I think you can book on line or call them. pm me if you really need more info.
Will PM you shortly. We have yet to book the hotels so we're open for alternatives to Lava Lodge.

The route you mentioned (mt penanjakan) is the normal one, I would say if I have to take photo, I would find something different. Normal price to rent a jeep (6 person inside a jeep) for normal route = 300k rupiah or ard 50 dollar SGD. at the end, you will be offered to other place, which is also beautiful with additional money 150k rupiah => pasir berbisik and padang savana. others route will be much more expensive!

There are others attraction there but not many people visiting.
We are seriously leaning towards spending 2 nights in Cemoro Lawang. Thanks for the input given.. :)

Went MT Bromo once...left about 6am and back only about 8pm.

It is quite a long journey from the place I was at but it worth the visit. A 4WD is a must to go all the way to the crater. Should have sulphur emitting from the crater. You may choose to take a horse ride when you past the cafe before proceeding to the crater. It is a good experience but you got to endure the long journey.
Any idea how much they are charging for the horse ride?

Any idea how much they are charging for the horse ride?

I have been there few days ago. They charged 100K rupiah for the horse ride (two ways).

Hey bro, is this still on?

@zapper10: that's not bad. thanks for the info!
@billycadiz: Yep. We're already excited. :)

Itinerary's a work in progress still though. But we've decided to stay for 2 nights at Lava View Lodge and 1 night in Surabaya (Ibis Rajawali).

Nice!! Planning to go there too..
Looking forwrd to your photos and infos bro....tia!!!;)

Another alternative: go up to Ijen Crater. This was my itinerary:

Day 1: Surabaya - Bromo
pick up at the airport of Surabaya, transfer to the hotel in Bromo

Day 2 : bromo - Ijen
early morning, at about 03.15 , 4X4 to the peak of Pananjakan, then Bromo crater, then proceed to Ijen area along the north coast of East java

Day 3: Ijen - Surabaya
about 06.00 , trek to the active crater , proceed to either back to Surabaya

Day 4: Surabaya
I chanced upon a free city tour at the house of sampoerna. It's quite interesting (and did I mention, FREE? ;) )

I took a tour for Day 1 to 3 and stayed at Ibis Rajawali in Surabaya.

PM me if you want details, I can email you my itinerary and contacts etc..

@zapper10: that's not bad. thanks for the info!
@billycadiz: Yep. We're already excited. :)

Itinerary's a work in progress still though. But we've decided to stay for 2 nights at Lava View Lodge and 1 night in Surabaya (Ibis Rajawali).

Lava View Lodge is a nice place to stay... it is located just before the national park entrance. The food menu is good and has a huge variety to choose from :)

And see if you can find a gentleman by the name of Tris... he usually hangs around the reception in Lava View Lodge... you can chat with him, he will share his experience on volcano eruption with you :)

early morning, at about 03.15 , 4X4 to the peak of Pananjakan, then Bromo crater, then proceed to Ijen area along the north coast of East java

I chanced upon a free city tour at the house of sampoerna. It's quite interesting (and did I mention, FREE? ;) )

Yup2 agreed ... Check out Ijen ... when me and wife went for our honeymoon .. we though Bromo will be the climax ... but Ijen stold our heart ...:heart:

Years ago, i took the horse ride up Bromo .... but have to be done early morning so that you can catch the sunrise when you are on top of Bromo ... not, very cold .. and strong sulphuric smell .... not sure whether it is still like this ...

For me..i just grab a private car from the Surabaya train station..the extra cost is really worth the extra time i got on Mt Bromo..

stood at the rim of the fall off like 30 mins just staring at the scenery..:)

i booked the room direct from the link below.

http://www.globaladventureindonesia.com/lava view lodge.htm

sigh...

it was 2 years ago already and me and my gal is still talking fondly of this place..

I traveled to Bromo yearly in December and spend the Christmas there. Don't be fool by the weather. You will be amazed that the most spectacular shots that I have taken were during the worst time of the year in December.

I would usually took a public bus from Surabaya Bungurasih terminal, about 10 km south of the city. I would alight at Probolinggo bus terminal (around 2 hours journey) and get out of the bus terminal and look for public minibuses that run up to Cemoro Lawang on the crater rim, the main tourist centre for Bromo. It takes about an hour. Total cost per person is around 70,000RP. (one way)

But if you have more than 3 persons I would recommend you to book a private Kijang (Toyota MPV) from Surabaya to Bromo and return to Surabaya on the same day. But set off early in the morning at 2am.

I would usually stay 2 nights in Bromo to enjoy the cold air and spectacular sunrise.

At the terminal ask for

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ramdiboy/3827633051/

ME ME ME!!!:)

Thanks so much...!!!