Supreme Courts

Status
Not open for further replies.

guojielun

Dec 28, 2005
EAST
this is my first attempt in night shots. critics and comments are very much welcome.

shot with Canon 350D with kit 18-55, settings was F/5.6 Iso-100 shutter 6sec. colour repo sRGB
no editing was done to this shot except cropping and signature.

SupremeCourts.jpg

'Melvin Kwok

this shot needs serious editing. it's too un-contrasty.

hmm tink it would be betta to use a smaller aperture and longer shutter (since u r using a tripod i assume) to give a greater dof.. juz my 2 cents :D

i still can't figure out how to adjust the aperture... i'll try again tonight... thanks for the tips!

rTwin said:
hmm tink it would be betta to use a smaller aperture and longer shutter (since u r using a tripod i assume) to give a greater dof.. juz my 2 cents :D

point noted contrast should enhance

schon said:
this shot needs serious editing. it's too un-contrasty.

looks like yuor shot was polluted by some nearby streetlights

Well based on yr initial night shot, it still looks good if that's the kinda efx or night scenery you wanted to capture. It's really all up to you as the photographer yrself to decide what you want and what you're looking for in night photography.

This picture portraits a certain mood and climax at the time of shooting which probably appealed to you in a way. I assume it was taken after mid-night? The building lightings will switched off at mid-night. Correct me if I'm wrong. :)

You can take another shot with all the building lightings on, with the following camera setting - Manual mode, Aperture at f/11, Shutter Speed at 10sec. You can even use smaller aperture and you'll get some star-burst efx from all those lamp posts for dramatic efx so that yr night picture will be more lively. You can invest a little money on HOYA filter like Cross Screen (4-cross flare), Star-Six (6 pointed light flares) or Star-Eight (8 pointed light flares). Always avoid strong lights like spot-lights and flood lights in yr image.

Since you're using 350D, make full use of yr camera functions i.e. shoot in B&W mode. You'll be amazed by the end results it can produced. Try 2 shots with the building lightings on and off. From there you can compare all 4 shots (2 colors & 2 B&Ws).

BTW, try a wider angle and a different perspective for capturing architectural buldings. You can concentrate on the left side building with the dome. It's the Supreme Court and you do wanna make it look superior and grandeur, don't you? :)

Hope my 2-cents info helps. ;)

yes, you are right i shot it after midnight! appreciate your pointers there and i'll try it out maybe tonight. good on you mate!:thumbsup:

Mezzotint said:
Well based on yr initial night shot, it still looks good if that's the kinda efx or night scenery you wanted to capture. It's really all up to you as the photographer yrself to decide what you want and what you're looking for in night photography.

This picture portraits a certain mood and climax at the time of shooting which probably appealed to you in a way. I assume it was taken after mid-night? The building lightings will switched off at mid-night. Correct me if I'm wrong. :)

You can take another shot with all the building lightings on, with the following camera setting - Manual mode, Aperture at f/11, Shutter Speed at 10sec. You can even use smaller aperture and you'll get some star-burst efx from all those lamp posts for dramatic efx so that yr night picture will be more lively. You can invest a little money on HOYA filter like Cross Screen (4-cross flare), Star-Six (6 pointed light flares) or Star-Eight (8 pointed light flares). Always avoid strong lights like spot-lights and flood lights in yr image.

Since you're using 350D, make full use of yr camera functions i.e. shoot in B&W mode. You'll be amazed by the end results it can produced. Try 2 shots with the building lightings on and off. From there you can compare all 4 shots (2 colors & 2 B&Ws).

BTW, try a wider angle and a different perspective for capturing architectural buldings. You can concentrate on the left side building with the dome. It's the Supreme Court and you do wanna make it look superior and grandeur, don't you? :)

Hope my 2-cents info helps. ;)

guojielun said:
this is my first attempt in night shots. critics and comments are very much welcome.

shot with Canon 350D with kit 18-55, settings was F/5.6 Iso-100 shutter 6sec. colour repo sRGB
no editing was done to this shot except cropping and signature.

'Melvin Kwok

Something is not right...

Do you use any filter for taking this picture?

guojielun said:
i still can't figure out how to adjust the aperture... i'll try again tonight... thanks for the tips!

still no inclination, nor patience to read the manual?

pg #84 (for AE mode)
Pg #86 (for Manual mode)

there are pictures with instructions on how to change the setting.... if u still got problems figuring it out... :rolleyes:

yep i had a uv filter on... thought it wouldn't make any diff thats why i had it on even at night:embrass:

catchlights said:
Something is not right...

Do you use any filter for taking this picture?

haha the manual is at home and i seldom return home thats why i've been asking if anybody could help me :bsmilie:

nightwolf75 said:
still no inclination, nor patience to read the manual?

pg #84 (for AE mode)
Pg #86 (for Manual mode)

there are pictures with instructions on how to change the setting.... if u still got problems figuring it out... :rolleyes:

guojielun said:
yep i had a uv filter on... thought it wouldn't make any diff thats why i had it on even at night:embrass:
No, no, uv filter is alright, but your picture like shot on expired film, so dull and lack of contrast.

how can i improve it? :cry:

go back to the same location, but move a little to your right, don't show the building behide the dome Supreme Courts, try to shoot around 7pm+, while the sky still blue, remember to use lens hood.

i think the composition is good! that is the purpose of kit lens. Unless photoshopping to obtain the contrast and colors~. The result from a Kit lens is always very flat for your info.

GOMUS said:
i think the composition is good! that is the purpose of kit lens. Unless photoshopping to obtain the contrast and colors~. The result from a Kit lens is always very flat for your info.
i do not think it's the fault of the lens. i've shot the same location with same lens and camera with different settings, it turns out crisp and sharp. as suggested earlier by other clubsnappers above, try to change to smaller aperture. cos large aperture might be tough for u to do a proper focusing at midnight/dark lightings. :)

dolpjki said:
i do not think it's the fault of the lens. i've shot the same location with same lens and camera with different settings, it turns out crisp and sharp. as suggested earlier by other clubsnappers above, try to change to smaller aperture. cos large aperture might be tough for u to do a proper focusing at midnight/dark lightings. :)

I do agree. It will improve the quality using smaller aperture!
It will appear sharper~. :D

i don't have a hood where can i get one? and what kind should i get? i'll get it and shoot again!

catchlights said:
go back to the same location, but move a little to your right, don't show the building behide the dome Supreme Courts, try to shoot around 7pm+, while the sky still blue, remember to use lens hood.

Status
Not open for further replies.