Supreme Court

ZenoWai09

Jan 2, 2010
Singapore
www.flickr.com

Click to View Large

in what area is critique to be sought?
Composition and exposure, color temperature, etc.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
I would like to capture the beauty of old Supreme Court under the dark blue sky.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
It was a beautiful night. I took this photo when I did photo-walk near club quay.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
I personally liked exposure and color temperature of this pic.

the trees and the buildings ard the dome is stealing the subject's attention. rem the rule, less is good.

This will be a better composition.

21aerme.jpg
<-- imagine you take this right at the first time.

Click to View Large

in what area is critique to be sought?
Composition and exposure, color temperature, etc.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
I would like to capture the beauty of old Supreme Court under the dark blue sky.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
It was a beautiful night. I took this photo when I did photo-walk near club quay.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
I personally liked exposure and color temperature of this pic.

Then why did you shoot this picture from this position, with all the distracting elements?
Agreed that the exposure and colour temperature are quite nice.

IMO, the exposure and color temperature are good as you said.
However, the composition are just normal, or not outstanding.
I do feel, supreme court is not easy to take a good view, however, sometimes walk around more and to experience more with different angle, different focal length might give you some surprise.

i love the picture - the sharpness, the mood and the exposure. i think it is perfect given the trees are inevitable and to capture the dome alone is meaningless.

capture the dome alone is meaningless.
i dun agree.

if u are into architectural photography, u dun capture the whole building unless its unique as a whole.

so in this case, the dome is the most unique part of the building (u dun see such domes elsewhere in sg dun you? but the rest of the building, there is a few similar ones, eg, fullerton hotel) . especially with the lighting on it. the rest are just distractions.

cos when u show foreigners this photo, "they will question, where is this building? and which country?"

Last edited:
it is perfect given the trees are inevitable and to capture the dome alone is meaningless.

and you are wrong again. If TS walk around to the other side of the court house, less huge trees can at least be avoided (different angles as mentioned by Shen Siung).

example:
http://amitkulkarni.info/pics/singapore-pictures/singapore-images/singapore-supreme-court.JPG

alternatively he can go closer to the building, squat down, shoot upwards at certain part of the angle.

TS's current composition is just like taking a pns, walk ard, stand still (at his height) snap and go type of photos. I wun even say there is a composition in the first place. Anyone can do this also, if he is standing next to TS. lol

Last edited:
but something to encourage TS.

the colors and exposure is great.

i am actually mesmerized by the light colors emitted by the dome which is complemented by the sky color...

u know how to do a 100% crop? dun mind can crop out the dome portion and show us?
:)

hi sinned79,

u aldy cropped the pic.. thanx for that.. :)

21aerme.jpg

more comments pls..

Ermm u shoot in raw format? If so if u are using canon u can use the dpp software by canon then use the trimming tool on it to crop out this dome part then batch process out as jpg... Cos the current crop i do for u only sharp at this size but once resize bigger resolution will lost...