Superzoom cameras, which is the best?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoomlover

Apr 24, 2009
Hey bros and sis, I am contemplating to get a superzoom camera. Am currently looking at Canon SX10 IS (20X zoom), SX1 IS (20X zoom with HD vid), Olympus SP 590 UZ (26X zoom), Sony HX1 (20X zoom with HD vid).

My priorities are zooming, ability to take good macro pics, colour quality of pic, and the ease of the cam's interface usage. HD, though good to have, is not really a must.

Any good recommendations (other brands or models are okay too) or bad experience in using one? Would love to hear more. :)

Hey bros and sis, I am contemplating to get a superzoom camera. Am currently looking at Canon SX10 IS (20X zoom), SX1 IS (20X zoom with HD vid), Olympus SP 590 UZ (26X zoom), Sony HX1 (20X zoom with HD vid).

My priorities are zooming, ability to take good macro pics, colour quality of pic, and the ease of the cam's interface usage. HD, though good to have, is not really a must.

Any good recommendations (other brands or models are okay too) or bad experience in using one? Would love to hear more. :)

Remember the more u zoom, the more degrading the quality will be. I would personally recommend the SX1 IS and it's full HD.

Last edited:

I would actually go for the FZ28 -- 27mm, 18x, 1/2.33"

thanks Snoweagle and mayhemics, yeah I did consider Lumix FZ28 (18X zoom) too, how's the quality like? I have never own a Lumix before.

I checked Flickr for sample photos, somehow think Canon SX's series have better and more vibrant pics compared to Olympus, not sure if it's coz of the majority of Canon users, thus more better pics are taken.

The other time I went to Audio House, they recommended Sony HX1 and kept mentioning the very good G lens, could you really see the difference and worth that extra bucks?

you might also want to try the Fuji S100fs....

Personally tried it before, and I would prefer it over many of the superzooms i have used before.(FZ30,50,20, one of sony H series and the olys)

the sensor performance and colour comes out abit better than the rest, although that may be personal preference:)

thanks Snoweagle and mayhemics, yeah I did consider Lumix FZ28 (18X zoom) too, how's the quality like? I have never own a Lumix before.

I checked Flickr for sample photos, somehow think Canon SX's series have better and more vibrant pics compared to Olympus, not sure if it's coz of the majority of Canon users, thus more better pics are taken.

The other time I went to Audio House, they recommended Sony HX1 and kept mentioning the very good G lens, could you really see the difference and worth that extra bucks?

I tried before Olympus' SP-550UZ. The image quality at the tele end is horrible, even with image stabilisation activated.

you might also want to try the Fuji S100fs....

Personally tried it before, and I would prefer it over many of the superzooms i have used before.(FZ30,50,20, one of sony H series and the olys)

the sensor performance and colour comes out abit better than the rest, although that may be personal preference:)

I do think the Fuji superzooms are pretty power packed :)

all prosumers are generally quite equal, life is fair

you will get a compromise for every benefit gained, simple as that.

my suggestion is, you go and try these in the shops, get the one you like best, the feel.

i recon that you'll be surely guranteed to get a Tcon extra convertor after a few while with ur chosen superzoom cam..

just saw Nikon has a P90 which features 24X zoom, 12.1 Megapixel resolution and 1cm Macro mode. What do you guys think of this?

just saw Nikon has a P90 which features 24X zoom, 12.1 Megapixel resolution and 1cm Macro mode. What do you guys think of this?

Looks interesting, but I'd prefer the HX1. The auto-panorama stitch and tilting LCD screen is great.

oh man I dream of a superzoom in my sleep
clear.gif

My choice is still the Panasonic FZ50, still no camera (non-dslr) is able to match is versatile.:thumbsup:

I was also researching for superzoom cameras for the last one month. Finally purchased Olympus SP-590 for the long zoom (26X) + 12MP, design/handling, ease-ness of capturing quality pictures (test this at the shop mostly at the max zoom) and price. I agree w/ comments below re: personal preference will be a big factor. I checked Panasonic Lumix FZ-28 (18x zoom, 10MP), Canon Powershot SX10 (20X zoom, 10MP), Nikon P90 (24x zoom, 12MP) plus few new products I encountered at Singapore Expo (Nikon L100 (15X zoom, 10MP) & Fuji Finepix S-1500 (12x zoom, 10MP)). I was focusing on Canon SX10 at first (my first ever digital camera was also Canon :) but also interested w/ the Panasonic FZ28 for the quality picture, long Li-Ion battery life, HD video, etc. Though ended up swayed w/ the newer longer zooms of Nikon P90 & Olympus SP-590. The Canon SX10 & Panasonic FZ28 prices are still relatively high for the specs and those thought of better value w/ the newer Nikon & Olympus (with a lot of freebies offered w/ the new models). Finally chose Olympus vs. Nikon for reasons above (also liked Nikon P90 for the tilt-able + 3" LCD and the use of Lithium battery though read of a rather short battery life). I also preferred the pictures taken w/ Olympus vs. Nikon's during tests at the shop (especially when taking portraits at max zoom). Have taken many pictures w/ the Olympus the last few days and so far quite happy w/ the results.

The Sony HX-1 with its very good panorama feature is very good, and its tilting LCD is very useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.