Supertelezoom lens for EM1 Mk1

EisMann

Feb 15, 2013
Singapore
Morning everyone,

Like to revisit this topic again. Other than Oly F4 300mm or other M4/3 zoom lens, how is your experience using other brands like Nikon, Canon or 3rd party like Sigma?

My current Oly 75~300 is good as long as the light source is behind me.

Have an old Tamron Nikon 300mm lens. It was too contaminated with fungus for me to spend time to strip & clean it.

Like to have one, when fully extends can have at least F6. 3 or bigger opening.

I don't mind to have 2nd hand as I still shoot when have free time in the weekend.

Thank You
EisMann

You should get M4/3 lenses to for the size advantage, and autofocus, aperture change will be supported. Can consider the older Panasonic 100-300mm lens, it is f5.6 at 300mm, or the newer 100-400mm.

In my opinion, if you are considering using Canon/Nikon/etc full-frame or APS-C lenses then might as well get the brand's corresponding APS-C camera, weight together with lens probably will be only slightly more but you get support for autofocus, aperture change etc

I do occasionally use Nikon lenses on my M4/3 camera body with an adaptor without electronic contacts because I have both systems, however it is manual focus only. I don't use my telephoto zooms on M4/3 though because the setup will be very unbalanced negating the weight advantage of M4/3

If you insist on using the lenses, then you might consider the relatively lighter options with an adapter, eg
Nikon 300mm f4 PF (lightest)
Nikon 300mm f4 AFS (has old school aperture ring so can still change aperture with adapter without electronics)
Canon 300mm f4L IS
Canon 400mm f5.6

Reactions: wonglp
I have to agree with thoongeng on using native m43 lenses for the advantages.

Consider for the PL 100-400; light enough to be hand holdable, decent reach and good image quality even at 400 mm. I have this.

I am contemplating the Olympus 300/4; but still hesitating due to the high cost and also that it is fixed and does not have the flexibility to zoom.

I did try the Tamron 150-600 Canon mount with the Metabones EF-MFT smart adapter. I tried once with monopod, but then the results not ideal, but I am suspecting user error and I need to re-look at my shooting setup.

Thanks for your replies.

I guess I have to continue to eat white bread for 3 meals to save up and continue to build up my skill using 75~300.

Thank You
EisMann

PL 100-400mm lens is best bang for the buck for m43 setup.

I am using 300/f4 Pro currently and mounted the TC almost all the time, at times I wish I had the zoom for situation when I want to have shorter focal length for easier birds-in-flight shots.

Thanks for your replies.

I guess I have to continue to eat white bread for 3 meals to save up and continue to build up my skill using 75~300.

Thank You
EisMann

From your previous posts looks like you're into taking photographs of birds. While skill is important, birding is also a genre where equipment counts. There's a reason why people lug huge lenses and big tripods. There's a price to pay for those shots with the birds close up, feather details in all it's glory.

I'm just a hobbyist, while I really love those awesome birding shots, I decided I'm not dedicated enough to get those big canons, hunt down the exotic birds, and wait around for the action shots (though I admit that the recent development of the affordable zooms reaching 500-600mm were really tempting). I shall just admire the masters' works, and if you get tired of eating white bread for 3 meals you might also wanna consider (and chase other stuff in life) :p

Indeed I am Thoon Geng.

I started off with Canon SX50HS, a bridge camera.
Can get the shape and colour, but not the detail of feathers, easily.

3 years ago after countless eating white bread and drinking tap water, decided to splurge Oly after considering the cost, the availability of lenses, esp the telesuperzoom lens at that time. (On the hindsight, should have waited longer to buy a full frame, small form body)

Now I can capture the shape, colour and feathers easily, I am aiming to capture their eyelashes as well. Or able to capture the fighter jet's call sign printed at the body.

I don't mind 2nd hand lenses, my Oly 75-300 was bought from a forummer here. Now I am really tempted to get another with opening at least 6.3 at the full zoom. Hence trying to find out info from users on their experience on using 3rd party lens on Oly body.

Meanwhile I am marveling all the masters' birdie shots here while working on my skill with the current hardware I have.

Lastly, PSSST! Any sugar mommy to recommend?

Thank You
EisMann

PL 100-400mm lens is best bang for the buck for m43 setup.

I am using 300/f4 Pro currently and mounted the TC almost all the time, at times I wish I had the zoom for situation when I want to have shorter focal length for easier birds-in-flight shots.

KT,

Was that a single subject or a flock of them?
They must be quite near to you when they were flying.

EisMann

KT,

Was that a single subject or a flock of them?
They must be quite near to you when they were flying.

EisMann

Usually single flying bird, like raptor. The thing is that at 840mm effective focal length, the angle is quite narrow and to get the bird in frame can be challenging especially when they are fast flying.

IMO, 300 f4 has the best quality but FL 100-400 is the most flexible. I've been using 300/4 since launch and love every bit of it, the details is amazing and almost effortless.