Superintendent of detention centre sacked over Mas Selamat's escape

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lmodel

Jun 19, 2005
Jurong Island
Superintendent of detention centre sacked over Mas Selamat's escape
By Channel NewsAsia | Posted: 26 May 2008 1437 hrs

SINGAPORE: The superintendent of the Whitley Road Detention Centre has been sacked over security lapses that led to the escape of Jemaah Islamiyah detainee Mas Selamat Kastari. His deputy has also been demoted in rank, with a corresponding pay cut.

The two were the most senior officers in charge of the ground management of the detention centre, and were among six Internal Security Department (ISD) officers charged over the escape.

Two other Gurkha officers were also charged and have been demoted after pleading guilty.

Deputy Prime Minister and Home Affairs Minister Wong Kan Seng disclosed the moves when he updated Parliament on the disciplinary action taken after Mas Selamat's escape.

Mas Selamat had escaped from a ventilation window in a toilet at the detention centre on February 27 and remains at large.

No grilles were mounted on the window. Mr Wong said the superintendent should have instructed the renovation contractor to install grilles on the ventilation window.

Instead, the superintendent asked for the handle of the window to be sawn off in the mistaken belief that it was a sufficient security measure. This, Mr Wong said, was a serious error.

The superintendent and his deputy have also been held accountable for the lack of supervision over the subordinate officers implicated in the escape.

Mr Wong said the ISD's command director, whom the superintendent reported to, has also been relieved of his duties on April 24.

Although the command director was neither directly nor indirectly linked to the lapses of specific officers down the line, and he was not at fault over the lapses, Mr Wong said he was formally the apex of the supervisory and management chain of command overseeing the detention centre. - CNA/ac

Can't believe it. The last 2 para states that the ISD's command director has been relieved of his duties but was not at fault over the lapses. It happens just becuase he was the top at the chain of command overseeing the detention centre.

In this case, I think it is only fair that our Mr. Wong be relieved of his duties since he overseas the whole Home Affairs. :dunno::dunno:

In this case, I think it is only fair that our Mr. Wong be relieved of his duties since he overseas the whole Home Affairs. :dunno::dunno:

do anything also not happy, last time people complain no big shots kena fried, now got one big shot kena ALSO not happy

sack everyone that has anything to do with this case la

including the delivery van uncles that deliver food to the detention center, the policemen who patrol the area nearby, etc

it is very easy to cry out for sacking... until it becomes YOU in the hot seat.

Probably the bigger shot who getting much better pay and so suppose to bear more responsibility are unaffected :rolleyes:

Agree with you,

Looks like it depends on the mood of the day, rather than whether they are actually directly involved. The deputy was also not involved and yet he has been demoted.

The question now is, who supervises the Command Director and why wasn't he taken to task for failing to supervise the supervisor :bsmilie::bsmilie:

The superintendent and his deputy have also been held accountable for the lack of supervision over the subordinate officers implicated in the escape.

Mr Wong said the ISD's command director, whom the superintendent reported to, has also been relieved of his duties on April 24.

Although the command director was neither directly nor indirectly linked to the lapses of specific officers down the line, and he was not at fault over the lapses, Mr Wong said he was formally the apex of the supervisory and management chain of command overseeing the detention centre. - CNA/ac

Can't believe it. The last 2 para states that the ISD's command director has been relieved of his duties but was not at fault over the lapses. It happens just becuase he was the top at the chain of command overseeing the detention centre.

Qn: Does the delivery van uncle supervise any of the people who were directly responsible for the escape?

do anything also not happy, last time people complain no big shots kena fried, now got one big shot kena ALSO not happy

sack everyone that has anything to do with this case la

including the delivery van uncles that deliver food to the detention center, the policemen who patrol the area nearby, etc

it is very easy to cry out for sacking... until it becomes YOU in the hot seat.

Qn: Does the delivery van uncle supervise any of the people who were directly responsible for the escape?

oh, one could argue in equal measure, that if you do REALLY feel that mr wong was supposed to actually "supervise" detention centre staff, that the delivery van uncle has a civic responsibility to note that the toilets are not sufficiently secured.

same for any ah mao or ah kao who has been walking about the centre. maybe all the other detainees should be taken to task as well, because they failed to repent and sound out such shortcomings.

to be frank, it is my view that only the detention centre people should be perhaps, chided, with those directly responsible, i.e. the guards who actually take an extended period of time to sound the alarm. mas selamat could have had two coffees before diving out through the window for his escape because of their hesitation. the people in charge of the running of centre, especially the dude who can happily tell contractor that grilles don't need, just saw off window handle.. well any 9 year old child could tell you that even without a bloody handle a window is easily opened.

this silly obsession with accountability is not being pragmatic, i would not like singapore to be run like some corporate world where the ceos are sacked or gracefully step down because the shareholders need some answers. and EVEN then, in the corporate world, step down already, so what? what happens? nothing happens. the company is still screwed up, things still change. if anything stepping down or sacking the people for "associated responsibility' is to me, in many senses, pointless wayang.

i'd wager that the people baying for blood have at some point or another, made noise about singapore being run like a company, i.e. singapore inc. and then suddenly poof! that sentiment is gone and they want singapore to be run exactly that way. double standards, anyone?

whatever it is, i foresee another pointless thread - first there will be some serious discussion, and then there will be trolls, and then the trolls will multiply and the thread shall be shut down. i'm not going to bother wasting my calories and time looking at this. so don't bother replying.

oh, one could argue in equal measure, that if you do REALLY feel that mr wong was supposed to actually "supervise" detention centre staff, that the delivery van uncle has a civic responsibility to note that the toilets are not sufficiently secured.

same for any ah mao or ah kao who has been walking about the centre. maybe all the other detainees should be taken to task as well, because they failed to repent and sound out such shortcomings.

to be frank, it is my view that only the detention centre people should be perhaps, chided, with those directly responsible, i.e. the guards who actually take an extended period of time to sound the alarm. mas selamat could have had two coffees before diving out through the window for his escape because of their hesitation. the people in charge of the running of centre, especially the dude who can happily tell contractor that grilles don't need, just saw off window handle.. well any 9 year old child could tell you that even without a bloody handle a window is easily opened.

this silly obsession with accountability is not being pragmatic, i would not like singapore to be run like some corporate world where the ceos are sacked or gracefully step down because the shareholders need some answers. and EVEN then, in the corporate world, step down already, so what? what happens? nothing happens. the company is still screwed up, things still change. if anything stepping down or sacking the people for "associated responsibility' is to me, in many senses, pointless wayang.

i'd wager that the people baying for blood have at some point or another, made noise about singapore being run like a company, i.e. singapore inc. and then suddenly poof! that sentiment is gone and they want singapore to be run exactly that way. double standards, anyone?

whatever it is, i foresee another pointless thread - first there will be some serious discussion, and then there will be trolls, and then the trolls will multiply and the thread shall be shut down. i'm not going to bother wasting my calories and time looking at this. so don't bother replying.

good idea.

all the parents and grandparents of murderers, rapists or blah blah criminals should go to the gallows.

sack and demoted only?
NSF drive the mini van, hit a lamp post also go DB.
Next time just demote him then.

What? I thought Mat's escape was other honest mistake? :bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

sack and demoted only?
NSF drive the mini van, hit a lamp post also go DB.
Next time just demote him then.

DB oni for conscripts who goofed up? :rolleyes:

The precedent we can draw from this is, the highest guy immediately in charge of that particular area/department will get blamed, and JUST ONE level after that.

The buck stops there. At least thats my interpretation of the findings as reported by the CNA article above.

The toilet cleaner is the biggest culprit......put so many toilet rolls.....without them he will either not jump or will be injured when he landed so cannot run fast.......:nono:

it depends on which talent is more difficult to replace. The easier one will get replaced, the harder one just demote lor.

someone has to take the rap... yes i agree take those directly involved should be reprimanded, but there is also accountability... not asking so and so to step down but what accountability has he shown ??...i especially like his reasoning on why the Director of ISD is let off, its as good as saying he cannot be fault as well... :thumbsd: crap... take them so long so give such answers...

army driver accident has to go DB, why ?? cos the CO needs to take action to cover his ass...accident is never intentional, so its fair for the driver ?? what does accident means in a dictionary...civilian accident how ?? the system here :thumbsd:

unlike other countries, anything happen, even NOT directly responsible the top guy also show accountablilty...here...:sticktong

Canada's Foreign Minister has resigned over a security lapse concerning classified documents belonging to him that were left behind in his girlfriend's apartment.

Status
Not open for further replies.