Superhero

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetShooter

Jan 17, 2002
Katong
streetshooter.clubsnap.org
00001755.JPG

can pass your kung fu on how you did this in PS??

Create a duplicate layer. Convert to black and white.
Apply a layer mask (Reveal All).
Then use the airbrush to mask out the parts you want in colour.

Originally posted by StreetShooter
Create a duplicate layer. Convert to black and white.
Apply a layer mask (Reveal All).
Then use the airbrush to mask out the parts you want in colour.

Hi StreetShooter,

Sorry need to ask somemore in depth as I'm not quite familar with the image tools :)

When you use the airbrush and spray it with, let's say white, the portion which I wants to make colour will be in white.

So is there anything I'm missing here?

Thanks!

P.S: I'm using Paint Shop Pro.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with Paint Shop Pro, but there's a good tutorial on masks using Paint Shop Pro here:

http://hometown.aol.com/ronaldlvick/mask1.htm

Basically this is what you need to do to create the effect:

1. Create a duplicate layer. Imagine that you printed your original image on a transparency, and laid this transparency over your original image.

2. Change the duplicate layer to grayscale.

3. Now apply the mask. This is equivalent to selectively erasing the (black and white) picture on your transparency to reveal the coloured picture below. For Paint Shop Pro, you need to tick Edit Mask as well as View Mask.

If you SHOW ALL, it means that the transparency containing your B&W image completely covers the colour original.

If you HIDE ALL, it means that the transparency is completely, well, transparent, and you only see the colour image.

Easier for you to just try this rather than me explaining too much.

Hope it helps.

Really thanks a lot for the link Streetshooter.

I manage to did it, with the help of the link.

Realize my mistake, I turn the picture into Greyscale which causes all the palettes to be only shades of gray..... After I "colourize" it to black and white, then the results came out :D

BTW for Photoshop, how do you turn the image into black and white? Just curious :)

Thanks!

Originally posted by StreetShooter
Sorry, I'm not familiar with Paint Shop Pro, but there's a good tutorial on masks using Paint Shop Pro here:

http://hometown.aol.com/ronaldlvick/mask1.htm

Basically this is what you need to do to create the effect:

1. Create a duplicate layer. Imagine that you printed your original image on a transparency, and laid this transparency over your original image.

2. Change the duplicate layer to grayscale.

3. Now apply the mask. This is equivalent to selectively erasing the (black and white) picture on your transparency to reveal the coloured picture below. For Paint Shop Pro, you need to tick Edit Mask as well as View Mask.

If you SHOW ALL, it means that the transparency containing your B&W image completely covers the colour original.

If you HIDE ALL, it means that the transparency is completely, well, transparent, and you only see the colour image.

Easier for you to just try this rather than me explaining too much.

Hope it helps.

Originally posted by Blitz

BTW for Photoshop, how do you turn the image into black and white? Just curious :)

From the menu, select IMAGE, MODE and then GRAYSCALE.

Originally posted by rty

From the menu, select IMAGE, MODE and then GRAYSCALE.

I see....

It seems that in PSP 7, selecting Greyscale will turn EVERYTHING into greyscale :(

Thanks!

Weeeeee....off to experiement with my photos :gbounce:

Need more advice...when I change the duplicate layer to grayscale, both layers are affected..what am I doing wrong?

Originally posted by Paladin
Need more advice...when I change the duplicate layer to grayscale, both layers are affected..what am I doing wrong?

Instead of converting it to grey scale, you can drop the saturation till things are black and white.

Originally posted by Flare

Instead of converting it to grey scale, you can drop the saturation till things are black and white.

That's what I did too. I change the grey scale and both layers got affected.

I then change to Satuaration method (all values = 0) and everything works too.

What software were u using?

Status
Not open for further replies.