Super Zoom compact with APS-C Sensor - Wishful Thinking

Occiput

Apr 30, 2012
I was out with my old FZ28 today when I started day dreaming of a Fixed Lens Super Zoom with a APS-C Sensor. Light, Compact with IQ! Maybe someday.

The closest thing now is the Sony Nex series but I think no one would call it compact once you slap on a wide zoom.

your point being?

do you even know why super telephoto zooms for APS-C sensors and larger are huge?

Occiput said:
I was out with my old FZ28 today when I started day dreaming of a Fixed Lens Super Zoom with a APS-C Sensor. Light, Compact with IQ! Maybe someday.

The closest thing now is the Sony Nex series but I think no one would call it compact once you slap on a wide zoom.

Yah, my dream cam - 10-1000mm f1.4 lens on a 22MP full frame sensor compact body totaling 500g in weight and will slip inside my pocket. Of course must be able to do ISO 1,024,000 and 20 fps with AF-C and a battery life of at least 2,000 shots.

Do you know what you are talking?
If you are looking at APS-C sensor. You cannot expect a 1/3" sensor lens size.
For APS-C sensor size, NEX E-mount is by far the smallest possible APS-C size lens.

Can, if you want small sensor compact superzoom kind of size, then prepare to have a F/22 lens. :bsmilie:

Otherwise, if you don't care for superzoom, you already had the Sony R2, there are bunch of APS-C sized compact cameras (e.g. Sigma DP series, Leica X1, etc)... None of them are superzoom though, for a good reason... If your lens is going to be huge, then you might as well use a DSLR. :bsmilie:

Last edited:

Yup there are 18-200mm zooms for NEX. It might not seem too compact but in the form and weight department it probably is a big step forward from the clunkier SLRs. Micro 4/3 has a compact 14-140mm as well.

Interesting name btw. Occiput. Very visual.

Ryan

Your wish may just come true in Summer this year. There is rumors of a Sony fixed len camera with APS-C.

Thanks UncleFai, Edutilos-, Giantcanopy.

Guys, just letting the imagination romp around a little, fully aware of optics, physics, etc. Sorry to waste anyone's time, I did put "Wishful Thinking" in the heading.

Even if this is one day possible, I foresee it being in the 10k-20k range... :(

Maybe a 18-300mm lens on apsc with 10x digital zoom but might start at f5.6.

UncleFai said:
Yah, my dream cam - 10-1000mm f1.4 lens on a 22MP full frame sensor compact body totaling 500g in weight and will slip inside my pocket. Of course must be able to do ISO 1,024,000 and 20 fps with AF-C and a battery life of at least 2,000 shots.

Nex is the best liao