Super wide and all that jargons- help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

darylyn

Mar 10, 2009
Northern Territory
Hi,

I'm a newbie with camera stuff and considering of buying Super Wide Angle lens for my EOS 400D camera to replace my kit lens .

I'm hoping to get a lens that is

1. walk-about for streets and sceneries..holidays
2. like everybody else- value for money of course

I have read good reviews and have 2 options:

1. Canon Super Wide Angle EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM
2. Sigma Zoom Super Wide Angle 17-35mm f/2.8-4.0

any other suggestion sa re welcome

Further anyone can anyone enlightned me these jargons ?
EF-S vs EF
DX
VR
FX
L lens and prime lens..
:confused:

So you reckon any lenses would fit the EOS 400D aye?

thx in advance

Last edited:
The zooms mentioned can be pretty competent in taking streets / landscapes for holidays as mentioned. Some might love to have a longer reach, but that is really individual shooting preference.

Further anyone can anyone enlightned me these jargons ?
EF-S vs EF
DX
VR
FX
L lens and prime lens..
:confused:

In short :

EF-S = lens mount created for the APS-C Canon DSLR. EF is lens mount for the 35mm format DSLR.

DX = What Nikon labels their APS-C Nikon DSLRs, FX being designated as their Full Frame DSLRs.

VR = Vibration Reduction, a mechanism used in Nikon lenses to stabilise the image in the lens from movement induced. Canon calls it IS ( Image Stabilisation )

L lenses are Canon's top of the line EF lenses, aka " Luxury " lenses, with better optical make and tougher built. You can identify them by the red ring.

Prime lens is simply a lens with fixed focal length. In contrast, a zoom lens is one that covers a range of focal lengths stated.

The Canon lenses will fit the 400D.

You probably need to read up more details by googling.

Ryan

get the lens catalogue and give then a good read
you will be talking like a seasoned photographer in no time :)

Your kit lens is 18-55 mm, so 16-35 or 17-35 lenses won't give you a much wider perspective than your kit lens.

Your kit lens is actually pretty competent so you might want to invest in an UWA instead to complement your kit lens. Something that starts from 10 or 11mm. :)

If you want super wide then you might want to consider the EF-S 10-22mm.
Really good quality.

Take note that that EF 16mm - 35mm is a super wide meant for full frame bodies lke EOS Mk1 - Mk5.

For the EOS 400D there is the 1.6x crop factor to consider. Getting the EF-s (meant for cropped bodies) 10-22 will give u the 16mm minimal focal that you want.
If you get the EF 16mm - 35mm, you will end up with about 25.6mm - xx mm instead, which is not much difference to the (18 * 1.6 )mm that your kit lens give you at the moment

those 2 lenses that you have suggested are SUPER WIDE on FULL FRAME :)
if you buy any of the 2 lenses, it's the same using your kit lens and taking a step back to take the photo.
if you wan an approx. focal length of 16mm-17mm on 400D, get the canon 10-22. alternatively, there are also 3rd party brands you can consider.
why a canon 10-20? because this is designed for APC-S sensor, which means it has a cropped sensor of X1.6. if you mount in on your 400D, it will give a a focal range of 16-35.2.

get the lens catalogue and give then a good read
you will be talking like a seasoned photographer in no time :)

Can talk, cannot do, no use. :bsmilie:

Wow! Thanks yawl for your input.
Now it's clear .I will have to do more homework on this before start buying.;).
SO any other brands besides Canon or Sigma for 400D?

There are also tamron & tokina to consider, many positive comments have been made about how sharp the tokina 11-16 is

Status
Not open for further replies.