Super tele zoom lenses

Status
Not open for further replies.
my rocket launcher (sigma 170-500mm) is no slack ok..:nono: but not pinpoint accuracy and speed like laser guided rocket launcher tho..

how about the upgraded version for u (50-500mm) :bsmilie:

my rocket launcher (sigma 170-500mm) is no slack ok..:nono: but not pinpoint accuracy and speed like laser guided rocket launcher tho..

how about the upgraded version for u (50-500mm) :bsmilie:

I'm sure it's no slack... It's the pinpoint accuracy that's the problem. Got quick shift button also hard to use - I will look like a clown quick shifting a lens that's 500mm long. :sweat:

Got 50-500mm ?!?!? Thanks hor.... more LBA. :bsmilie:

i duno whether sigma 50-500 will improve the hunting problem that usually cheaper 3rd party will have in less-than-optimal light, but cannot expect much at that price point lah i guess. mine is oldie, even worse no quick shift, i have to decide whether to MF or not before taking the shot ;(

i duno whether sigma 50-500 will improve the hunting problem that usually cheaper 3rd party will have in less-than-optimal light, but cannot expect much at that price point lah i guess. mine is oldie, even worse no quick shift, i have to decide whether to MF or not before taking the shot ;(

And after you told me about the "bigma" 50-500, i spent a couple hours on more research. :confused:

Good knowledge to have. Although, it will be a while before i "plonk" (to use creampuff's term) on a telephoto lens. :)

Meanwhile, will you be interested in going to the zoo anytime soon. Let's go shoot some animals. :bsmilie:

too late liao..:bsmilie: i just went recently..to test this lens more rigorously. aside from hunting at 500mm, very satisfied :thumbsup: won't vignette on a 1.5x @ 500mm too

Thanks Des, i'll keep a lookout for this... which 2nd shop is it?

Can you imagine someone bringing this lens to shoot macro at the Istana? hehehehe :sweatsm:

Gengh mentioned. The shop is selling that 400mm f/5.6 at $780.

And after you told me about the "bigma" 50-500, i spent a couple hours on more research. :confused:

Good knowledge to have. Although, it will be a while before i "plonk" (to use creampuff's term) on a telephoto lens. :)

Meanwhile, will you be interested in going to the zoo anytime soon. Let's go shoot some animals. :bsmilie:

If you don't need the wider end of bigma, can consider the newer Sigma 150-500mm HSM also. I was birding with some guys yesterday and two of them were using it. The pics are sharp. Of course you don't compare this kind of lens with those 500-600mm prime lens lah.

If you don't need the wider end of bigma, can consider the newer Sigma 150-500mm HSM also. I was birding with some guys yesterday and two of them were using it. The pics are sharp. Of course you don't compare this kind of lens with those 500-600mm prime lens lah.

Hi Des, thanks for the info :)

Right now, I'm overdosed on LBA already... even my eyes are crossed.

Speaking of birding, is a 300mm enough for birding? Already planning to head to Sungei Buloh one of the weekday next week. To get some real-life jungle experience. :bsmilie: Any other tips would be great too. Thank you in advance. :sweatsm:

Speaking of birding, is a 300mm enough for birding? Already planning to head to Sungei Buloh one of the weekday next week. To get some real-life jungle experience. :bsmilie: Any other tips would be great too. Thank you in advance. :sweatsm:

Hey Seb, let me know which repellants works and which one doesnt :bsmilie:

300mm shooting birds at SBG, parks or shoot bigger birds is ok. For serious birding, 300mm is definitely not enough. At Sungei Buloh, if you are in those observation hut shooting into the wet lands for the migrating birds, unless you are just shooting for own recording, 300mm is definietely too short. Add a 2xconverter also not really long enough.:bsmilie:

Speaking of birding, is a 300mm enough for birding? Already planning to head to Sungei Buloh one of the weekday next week. To get some real-life jungle experience. Any other tips would be great too. Thank you in advance.

300mm definitely not enough for birding, I was also experimenting, and I'm quite convinced that 500-600mm is a minimum starting point. For example, with a 300mm lens and further cropped down to a 450mm equivalent FOV, and going as close as I could, I could only get these:

724852539_MjFT9-M.jpg
691588603_67TnU-M.jpg

Those are what I think were pretty typical distances. Some situations where the birds get closer to you it could be much better, but that would depend your luck and the terrain.

Ok, I'm not really a birding person, so better just listen to advice from Des. :embrass: In bird park, 300mm could get you pretty nice shots though. :bsmilie:

Thanks Des and Gengh, seems like if i'm going to get serious on being the next National Geo photog... hahahahaha... you know i'm joking, right?

The target telephoto zoom has to be around 500mm and more. Will see my luck and terrain, Sungei Buloh is too far. Perhaps, will change to Bukit Timah Nature Reserve to cut my teeth first next week. :)

Charlie, i don't use mosquito repellents... the best repellent can be bought at beach road. Army standard issue anti-insect goo in green tubes. :bsmilie:

Thanks Des and Gengh, seems like if i'm going to get serious on being the next National Geo photog... hahahahaha... you know i'm joking, right?

The target telephoto zoom has to be around 500mm and more. Will see my luck and terrain, Sungei Buloh is too far. Perhaps, will change to Bukit Timah Nature Reserve to cut my teeth first next week. :)

Charlie, i don't use mosquito repellents... the best repellent can be bought at beach road. Army standard issue anti-insect goo in green tubes. :bsmilie:

If you are going to get serious on being the next "National Geo photog" with Pentax... save up and look for FA* 250-600mm f/5.6, FA* 600mm f/4 or Sigma 500mm f/4.5 and a very good tele converter at least.

In gardens and parks you can shoot birds like the sunbirds easily with the 300mm.

IMGP2885.jpg

In Sungei Buloh, birds at nearer distance, FOV around 500mm to let you have a rough idea..., imagine you want to get the birds at decent size on your sensor...

IMGP3215.jpg

When i was shooting this fellow i wish i had a 500-600mm with TC...

IMGP3431.jpg

If you are going to get serious on being the next "National Geo photog" with Pentax... save up and look for FA* 250-600mm f/5.6, FA* 600mm f/4 or Sigma 500mm f/4.5 and a very good tele converter at least.

In gardens and parks you can shoot birds like the sunbirds easily with the 300mm.

IMGP2885.jpg

Nice Shots!
Do you typically use flash for these shots? Any how much of a crop is this?
thx

Nice bird shots, Des. Maybe we should go to SBG and shoot some birds again :)

Let me know if you are going. I need to learn from the experts

Nice Shots!
Do you typically use flash for these shots? Any how much of a crop is this?
thx

Thanks. I uses flash depends on situation, the sunbird shots i used flash and the kingfisher is using natural light. Cropped off about 60%.

Status
Not open for further replies.