super panaromic shot of orchard rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

denniskee

Oct 26, 2003
bukit batok
Visit site
Hi to all csers

In June this year, more than 2,700 people braved chilly temperatures in Cleveland to pose nude for Spencer Tunick, setting world record in mass participated nude photography;

More recently, we saw the world’s largest book "Bhutan: A Visual Odyssey Across the Last Himalayan Kingdom" exhibited in Kinokuniya in Ngee Ann City. Nearly as big as a Ping-Pong table, the photography book captures the beauty of "the last Shangri-la" and her people.

I have an idea to capture a series of panoramic shots of Orchard Road from CK Tang to Centre Point over 9 hours.

This is a large feat requiring immaculate coordination to achieve the clockwork precision. It is my pleasure to invite you to join in a trial session.

The first trial will be a short segment of Orchard Road, stretching from CK Tang to Lucky Plaza, shooting across from Wisma Atria/Ngee Ann City. This would be a Saturday, from 9:00am to 9:00pm (preparation time factored in).

Equipment
We would standardize the equipment, using 50mm lens with camera set on tripod, shooting with slides of the same brand. The choice to use slides over digital is because of slides are full frame and can be converted to digital medium by scanning; It is critical to standardize the brand of slides so as to ensure same color cast. 50mm focal length is the widest without distortion. It typically has very good optical quality regardless of the brand. Tripod is used to ensure that the precise framing is consistent throughout the trial, so that images taken from adjacent cameras can be stitched digitally at the overlap with ease.

Execution
One person would frame for all cameras. Two other persons would be the boundary markers over at CK Tang side for the framing process. All photographers would synchronize their watches (digital watches preferred). Each camera would be manned by a team of two. These activities would take place in the morning from 9:00am to 11:30am. The shoot would start at 12:00pm sharp. Once the cameras are set, photographers need only to press the shutter buttons.

Each camera would be loaded with a roll of 36 exposures to be fired at 15 min interval from 12:00pm sharp to 9:00pm. Alternatively, if we were to shoot at 10min interval, the session would end earlier. Your views are welcome.

Bad weather contingency
Should it rain before 12 noon, the trial will be postponed to the following Saturday. Should the weather turn bad half way through the shoot, we would make do with what had been shot.

Post-shoot processing
To ensure that there is consistency in the developing process, all slides would have to be sent to the same shop (open to suggestion). With the bulk, we can get a good rate at any shop we go to.

Police Permit
I will apply for permit once we are able to hit the critical mass.

Cost
As this is not a commercial undertaking, there is no sponsorship or corporate financial backing. Participants would have to bear all cost involved, including the purchase of slides, development, as well as food and drinks to last the day.

Come spend a fun Saturday with a group of zealous photographers! I have not heard of such feat being achieved before, let alone a collaborated effort involving hundreds of photographers! If we succeed, we could even hold an exhibition!

Together, we can create a master piece!

Please reply by Oct 31, 2004.

Just to share with all cser, I had requested help from other forum (let hope there will be lots of willing photogs) to help pilot this plane that will take the Singapore Photography Community the the next level.

I sincerely invite all to join in. Thanks.

Hey Dennis... I take the vocation of journalist... 1 more thing abt the negatives... Make sure all are bought from the same batch of production... and same shop... Cause different shop different temperature and then different production different chemical contents as well... So the safest, bulk buy the slides and get the firers to register 1st lor...

1) denniskee h/p 92388366
2) alvin
3) nightwolf75 (just PM me once everything is confirmed!)

denniskee - excellent idea for a project. shesshh... the final image would be.... 22MP? :bsmilie:

2) alvin
4) arttl (PM me for the details!!)

Very interesting.... Digital cannot?? :embrass:

Good idea Dennis. I dun mind joining but please confirm the date because it will be the most crucial factor to me, need to apply "permit" in advance as well. :bsmilie:

acrylonithrill said:
Hey Dennis... I take the vocation of journalist... 1 more thing abt the negatives... Make sure all are bought from the same batch of production... and same shop... Cause different shop different temperature and then different production different chemical contents as well... So the safest, bulk buy the slides and get the firers to register 1st lor...

Sounds like we are firing squad. ha ha ha.

U can use my camera. I need lots of photog (that wherer you will play the critical role) and camera (i have 3 film camera).

Thanks.

Reason to use film because 50mm on a full frame gives widest coverage with min distortion. If we shot dslr with 50mm, u get between 50 (1ds & kodak), 65 (1d & 1dmkII) 75 (nikon) 80 (d30, d60, 10d, 20d, 300d) coverage will maintaining a 50mm perspective. then we will need even much much much more camera.

But I am open to suggetions.

point to note : some camera pre-wind film when loaded (eos50) but some dont (1v), so I will split into this 2 groups so the post process is less confussing.

more more more, do you feel the rush just thinking about this. ha ha ha

Can, as long as it slide shot with 50mm lens. As per explain in the start thread.

Another reason for not using digital is its white balancing problem.

WHOA! interesting interesting...
hehe... well, dennis, u know i hve no camera suitable for this event
but i'll go support if i can make it on those days (trial or actual) :cheergal:

interesting idea. will help if i'm available.

2) alvin
4) arttl (PM me for the details!!)
5) madmacs

interesting..i'll go and shoot you guys...it'll be grand! :D if i can wake up on time ah..

Status
Not open for further replies.