Super Newbies here

PrincessWhite

Deregistered
Jan 26, 2011
punggol
:embrass:Hi, all

i am a super newbies have never use a slr / dslr before, due to work i wish to learn new skill to enhance my skill and also to pick up new hobby.

but i have no idea what to get and how to do know the slr or dslr is suitable for me and if is in good condition?
can anyone help ^^,:D

Hello! Welcome :D

Be careful of the BBB virus here :bsmilie:

simi is BBB virus BUY BUY BUY?
Yes, it happens when you read what people say here and look at the photos where they state their equipment used. You will feel so inspired by their photos, feel your equipment produces unsatisfactory results and want to get better equipment to produce better results, ending up with you having a significantly thinner wallet :)

hahahahha!! BUY BUY BUY same in golf when i juz started i really BBB lo spend lots of money hahaha, but is interesting game. i guess i really need to check up alot of thing before getting the dslr

You need to indentify your needs and budget. Then read up on the specs and performance of the equipments, then you can shortlist those that you want or need to get before you buy buy buy.
Then after your needs change you can buy buy buy again... the never ending cycle :bsmilie:

hahahahha!! BUY BUY BUY same in golf when i juz started i really BBB lo spend lots of money hahaha, but is interesting game. i guess i really need to check up alot of thing before getting the dslr

Yup. Most importantly, don't let others tell you what to buy. Nikon, Canon, Sony, Pentax, Olympus, they all make great DSLR cameras with unique features... Things like movable LCD, or built-in antishake, or live view (fast AF or slow AF), or robust body, or numerous manual controls, etc etc.

hahaha ok ^^, i will do my shortlisting before i do the action of BBB ^^, girls favour BBB

hahaha ok ^^, i will do my shortlisting before i do the action of BBB ^^, girls favour BBB

yeah! ;p welcome fellow gal-shooter! :p

first you have to decide which DSLR you want ...

go out to shops and try out the various models...
nikon, canon, pentax or sony

in Vivo City just outside the cinema lobby there is a Canon Showroom lets you try out the various models... from the canon 550 to the high end models...

for Sony look for sony style stores they should have the latest ones there

for Nikon and Pentax you may want to browse around Funan to get a feel for the cameras

then you determine how much budget you have... so that you could decide which brand to go for

my advice would be to buy the brand your friends are using... so that you have aready support group that could provide you with advice or maybe let you try out some of their gear before you purchase them

start with a kit lens package first then play with it then after a while you can decide what kind of lenses you need to get to upgrade your setup

once you upgrade you have a lot of choices

do it all lenses like the 18-200 tend to be more expensive since you don't have to change lenses

regular telezooms like the 55-200 a bit cheaper but you have to change lenses from time to time..

prime lens for low light(indoor) and portraits 35mm 1.8 50mm 1.8 dont cost much but they are quite handy

then there are those big aperture lenses which cost a lot more but dont go into that yet play with the regualr lenses first before you invest in these

then there is flash guns as the built in flash in DSLR cameras tend to be too harsh for faces and lack power...

get the 3rd party ones first they are much cheaper

yongnuo - 100sg+
nissin-100-200sg

they dont cost as much as the original ones..... but they do the same basic things
in the future if you are more tech savvy you could think about getting the more expensive flashes which has a lot of more features

and then heres the best part for ladies... you get to buy a bag..... there are a lot of choices out there backpacks, sling bags etc... my advice is since i'm sure you have a lot of bags now get those camera inserts from orient photo for 25sg and just transfer your gear in your existing bags

when you get enough equipment then you could get a dedicated camera bag

or you could use the bag that will come as a freebie

then get a dry box to store your gear when not is use it will cost around 20-30sg at funan and that will suffice for the meantime but you will have to load it with silica gel from time to time as soon as you have more equipment you could get a dry cabinet which you could just plug in cost around 100sg+

as for the tripod most packages will give you a tripod as a freebie try it out first if you find difficulty using it upgrade to a more expensive and stable one

by the way dont let the stores chop you into buying expensive UV filters they dont really do much for your pics they just protect you lens from damage
a 20-30sg hoya filter should be good enough

anyway feel free to ask questions here most of the people here quite friendly and helpful

by the way i also stay in cck message me when you get your DSLR maybe we can shoot some stuff around the neighboorhood

cheers

Last edited:
links to previous post

prices

http://alanphoto.com.sg/nikonslr.html

local sets with singapore warranty

http://www.ddelectronics.com.sg/

grey sets with shop warranty only ( meaning the service centers here wont honor the warranty )

by the way i'm not connected with them its just that their websites are the only ones listing updated prices

there are cheaper shops in funan as well...

camera inserts

http://cgi.ebay.com/FOSSOUX-LC-Part...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3efcbb2454

one last note these are the reputable shops that you may want to buy from

dont buy from courts, harvey norman etc as they are more expensive...and definitely dont go to sim lim.... and lucky plaza except for orient and i photo

dont wait for IT show the price there are more expensive as well

alan photo
mscolor
john 316
tk photo
slr revolution
orient photo
parisilk
i photo / lord camera
cathay photo

other shops buy at your own risk

Last edited:
Hi welcome. All the brands make good camera, if you can compose your shots well. I think for most, budget would be a key factor. Based on that, you can already eliminate some of the cameras. Take your time to consider, only you know what u want and your own circumstances. For example, someone who has old EF lenses at home, or canon mount lenses may consider getting a canon dslr. Ergonomics is another key factor, because it has to feel comfortable in your hands. For me, Nikon bodies feel more comfortable in my hands, whereas someone else might reckon a Sony body or a Pentax body is more comfy.

Most importantly, read with a discerning mind. Everyone will say tons of good things about the brand of their camera. After all, isn't that probably why they are still using the camera of that brand? Then, it will sound glorious under their words, but u got to ask yourself whether the good points they raise is what u need. If your needs are simple and basic, then it is not too difficult to get a camera.

One thing i always find true for most casual use is that u can't really identify what brand and even what make of the camera used to take the awesome pictures u see. I had seen really nice shots, guess randomly is Nikon D700, then actually is D90.

Disclaimer: I'm not a Nikon user. :bsmilie:

Last edited:
Welcome to CS :)

Welcome!