Super Newbie !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wongwbh

Nov 14, 2007
Hi Guys,
This is my 1st posting in this forum. After months of consideration, I have decided to get myself a DSLR. Finally! But I am still unable to decide which model to start with. I have narrowed them to these 3 models Canon EOS 500D, Nikon 5000D and the Alpha 380 (Coming Soon). I am really new to photography (idiot!) and I hope to get as much advise from you guys. Greatly Appreciated :);):D

All 3 cameras will serve you well! Some of the 1st few primary things to consider for your 1st camera is budget (most impt infact) and the design/UI of the camera (which one you comfortable with)

Go try them all of them out at PC show this weekend if you haven handle all of them before. Cheers :)

I got the chance to try out both EOS 500D and the D5000 Camera with kit lens on @ Alan Photo in Sim Lim. For the alphas, I tried them @ MSColor @ AMK. All 3 looks gd to me.

You can only decide on one! :)

just a note:
Nikon produces lenses with and without autofocus motors, named AF-S and AF respectively.
D5000 cannot autofocus with AF lenses. You need an AF-S lens to autofocus.

Really? You like all 3 after holding them and trying them out? Usually you'd be preferring one brand's ergonomics over the others.
ie you like Canon, so you hate Nikon; or you like Nikon and hate Canon... hahahha very rare to like all! :)

Hmmmmm. Will bear that in mind. Just found Alan photo is having their own Nikon promotion in conjunction with PC Show 2009. Should i get the D5000 now or wait for the Alpha 380 to be release ?

Hello...welcome.

As mentioned before all entry level cams (regardless of brand) would be able to give you good photos if you use them within their limitations. However, do note that for Nikon & Canon the image stabiliser is on the lens while for Sony, it's in the body. So making practically every single lens that you mount on the body to have image stabiliser.

Maybe you can go to the shops to try them to see which you prefer and which suits you most.

I got the chance to try out both EOS 500D and the D5000 Camera with kit lens on @ Alan Photo in Sim Lim. For the alphas, I tried them @ MSColor @ AMK. All 3 looks gd to me.

haha all 3 looks gd, but definitely there'll be one which u prefer the most, i.e. feels better in your hands, looks better to u etc. ppl usually choose the brand first, and then decide which model best suits them, haha. do read up more on photography, coz juz owning a dslr will not do all the magic ;)

That is why finally I wanted to get myself a entry level DSLR to practise wad i learn. Just to check with you guys. Does Canon or Nikon has <Eye Start> AF Focus which Sony has ?

That is why finally I wanted to get myself a entry level DSLR to practise wad i learn. Just to check with you guys. Does Canon or Nikon has <Eye Start> AF Focus which Sony has ?

Nope. IIRC, this function is only available to Minolta/Sony cams. This is what I like also. :)

We share the same sentiments. That is one of the reason why i was attracted to the alphas. But alot of my friends discourage me from buying alphas is bcos of the lens range avaliability and price.

Why all newbie always ask, sony, canon and nikon??? WootSK aka canon user aka pentax promoter recommand you pentax K20D or K10D FTW. Btw pentax also have IS builted in their body. Also they are cheap and good ^_^. Sadly to say, as a canon user, I like canon body, but... I do not quite like the lens of canon. The reason is because I find the contrast of canon lens quite dull (bare in mind that I tried asking my canon friends and most of them also say the colour are quite dull). I sort of suspect it is the lens coating. Furture more canon lens quite expensive. Now I am a happy user of canon 30D with CZ 50mm f1.4, I would say that the CZ lens provide better colour than my canon 50mm F1.4 thought I lack the luxury of having AF. All the above are from me as a user POV, no offence to canon fans and canon L lens fan. My 2 cents :D

Last edited:
We share the same sentiments. That is one of the reason why i was attracted to the alphas. But alot of my friends discourage me from buying alphas is bcos of the lens range avaliability and price.

Range & price? :think: Maybe you can aske them what range they need that Sony doesn't have since Sony has lenses from 11mm-500mm. Price wise, I believe Sony's pricing is pretty competitive comparing to theirs and I think the Minolta 70-210mm f4 beercan (which has the same quality as the Leica's) is cheaper than the Canon's L lens of the same range. Best of all, Sony is the only brand that has AF on CZ lenses not to mention the image stabiliser on the CZ lenses which the others can only put on their wish list.

Hi super newbie

you see any pro photographer in national geographic or discovery or in F1, they often use these 2 brands .. Canon and Nikon
i am a newbie in DSLR as well , recently just bought Canon EOS 500D. still learning the manual way but i can already shoot great pictures at day and night using auto.
Plus the price from John 3:16 is quite good.

by Canon EOS 500D DSLR newbie

LOL. Thanks for the advise dude. Will keep on checkin out the models and reading up.

Hi super newbie

you see any pro photographer in national geographic or discovery or in F1, they often use these 2 brands .. Canon and Nikon
i am a newbie in DSLR as well , recently just bought Canon EOS 500D. still learning the manual way but i can already shoot great pictures at day and night using auto.

Not sure if you are aware that some of these photographers are being sponsored. Anyway, to me, a pro is someone who is making money out of photography and not just those who are shown on the TV/magazines. And there are pros out there using Sony, Pentax and Olympus too.

Last edited:
Hi super newbie

You should know that those ppl are actually sponsored
Marketing at its best.

Thats great news. Quite depress to c only the alpha 330 selling @ pcshow. But Alan photo promotion is really hard to resists. If dun buy now will have to wait for next IT show or promotion.

Thats great news. Quite depress to c only the alpha 330 selling @ pcshow. But Alan photo promotion is really hard to resists. If dun buy now will have to wait for next IT show or promotion.

The A330/A700/A900 will be available at the IT show. Maybe you can check out MS Color or Cathay Photo instead, I got most of my stuff from them as I didn't have a very good experience with Alan Photo.

Icic. Actually i am waiting for the alpha 380. Thought it will be launch @ PC Show.

Icic. Actually i am waiting for the alpha 380. Thought it will be launch @ PC Show.

Just contact MS Color or Cathay directly if you want the A380 since most of the freebies given at such shows/fairs are quite useless and I believe the shops will try to match the offers as the ones in the shows/fairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.