Super Newbie!

Status
Not open for further replies.

plsoong

Jan 31, 2003
Visit site
hi peeps,

this is so embarrassing.... but please help if you can:-

i was playing with a si bei old digital video cam...JVC 1st generation i think..... and recorded some stuff on the DV tape.

connected to my desktop via firewire and i could see the whole "clip" .... but must i do a "capture video/tape" so that all of the information inside the cassette gets converted to an avi file or what? coz if i do that, if the tape lasts 90 minutes, then it will be running for 90 minutes to capture EVERYTHING right?

I got a copy of Sony Vegas 7.....

any kind souls can help, how do i even start?

I'd like to cut, split and join various clips and then adjust say a section of clips to make them look desat, maybe another section of clip to look b&w? does it have a plugin that can make say a WHOLE selection of clip batch process to run a certain effect?

ARGH...pulling my hair out liao! :sad:

Vegas has batch capture, so you don't need to capture the whole tape..

To prepare for the batch capture, open the Capture screen, and then click on the Advanced tab. Then play once through the tape and Log the In and Out points as you go. After you are finished logging, rewind the tape to the beginning (optional, but can save wear and tear if you do it manually).

Then click on the menu item Transport/Advanced Capture/Batch Capture and do the batch capture. Note that you might have problems if the tape has breaks in the timecode, because the In and Out points will be affected (e.g. you could have clips that are later on the tape but have earlier In/Out points, and this will screw up the automatic searching).

Vegas has batch capture, so you don't need to capture the whole tape..

To prepare for the batch capture, open the Capture screen, and then click on the Advanced tab. Then play once through the tape and Log the In and Out points as you go. After you are finished logging, rewind the tape to the beginning (optional, but can save wear and tear if you do it manually).

Then click on the menu item Transport/Advanced Capture/Batch Capture and do the batch capture. Note that you might have problems if the tape has breaks in the timecode, because the In and Out points will be affected (e.g. you could have clips that are later on the tape but have earlier In/Out points, and this will screw up the automatic searching).

Thanx bro!

at least that will get me started to capture the whole tape later at night... as such, it means that it will "play thru the whole 90minutes" before it can "become" a clip ?

Thanx bro!

at least that will get me started to capture the whole tape later at night... as such, it means that it will "play thru the whole 90minutes" before it can "become" a clip ?

Well, you will need to be there to select the clips for capture, right? After that, the capture shouldn't take very long, because the camera will fast forward each time to reach the next logged clip.

How come your tapes are 90 minutes? You using Long Play mode or something?

If you do need to capture the whole tape because of timecode problems, you can set Vegas to do automatic scene detection, so it captures the tape as many small files rather than one huge file. Then you can quickly scan through and delete the clips you don't want. This is actually kinder on the camera's tape mechanism cos it doesn't have to shuttle back and forward searching for In points.

Well, you will need to be there to select the clips for capture, right? After that, the capture shouldn't take very long, because the camera will fast forward each time to reach the next logged clip.

How come your tapes are 90 minutes? You using Long Play mode or something?

yar i think i use LP mode coz testing out only...so thot maybe do it on the cheap to get mileage and then i rewind and forward like crazy......alamak.....that will spoil the tape? :dunno:

I'll mostlikely get another DV tape to do proper shoots.

when the clip is captured, it is both Video and Audio channels rite? so say i can actually delete only the audio channel and leave the video intact? or both ahs to go at the same time?

any particular links that i can search to do a brief tutorial of Vegas? :p

thanx mate for the help! at least tonight i will be up doing something useful!

In the Vegas Capture Preferences, you can select whether to capture the audio with the video or not. This is useful if you don't want to use the audio at all.

If you have already captured the clips and the unwanted audio is there, you can select all the clips in the Media Pool and drag them to the timeline. All the audio will go onto one track so you can get rid of it quickly just by deleting that track.

Vegas tutorials? I have never come across any, usually I prefer just to play around with a new program until either I can use it or I get so frustrated that I uninstall it.

You can try aone.com for Vegas training materials, but not sure how much they cost.

http://www.aone.com.sg/pages/traindvdpag.html

Alternatively, you can just use the Vegas help which is pretty good, and post a question iin the Video Editing forum if you get stuck.

There's also an official Sony Vegas forum where you can ask for help, but most of the posts there are nothing to do with Vegas so I don't go there much.

http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/forums/showtopics.asp?forumid=4

Good luck.

In the Vegas Capture Preferences, you can select whether to capture the audio with the video or not. This is useful if you don't want to use the audio at all.

If you have already captured the clips and the unwanted audio is there, you can select all the clips in the Media Pool and drag them to the timeline. All the audio will go onto one track so you can get rid of it quickly just by deleting that track.

Vegas tutorials? I have never come across any, usually I prefer just to play around with a new program until either I can use it or I get so frustrated that I uninstall it.

You can try aone.com for Vegas training materials, but not sure how much they cost.

http://www.aone.com.sg/pages/traindvdpag.html

Alternatively, you can just use the Vegas help which is pretty good, and post a question iin the Video Editing forum if you get stuck.

There's also an official Sony Vegas forum where you can ask for help, but most of the posts there are nothing to do with Vegas so I don't go there much.

http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/forums/showtopics.asp?forumid=4

Good luck.

:bsmilie:

u have alot more patience xia...

i'm already pulling half my head's hair trying to figure out what does this slider/button do..

just yesterday i made one section turn halfway black and white, but i realised.........say for a particular section, i wanna make it black and white, if i drag one of the "picture frame" down, it doesn't break into individual frames rite?

what i mean is that, the "frames in the video" isn't displayed so that i can control exactly which frame for to be b&w or which ones to be continued in colour rite?

thanx for your help man! don't wanna overload you with too much just in case u're busy... but u've been a really kind samaritan!!!:thumbsup:

the rest of the video pros...help please!

If you want to see the individual frames on the timeline, you need to zoom in further. You can use the scroll wheel on the mouse to zoom the timeline, it is really cool!

But if you don't want to zoom in, you can step individual frames by pressing Alt and using the arrow keys.

Status
Not open for further replies.