Super Macro

D-Wade

Dec 1, 2009
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
Hello, newbie in Macro here
I have a tamron 90mm right now, am satisfied with it.
I believe if I want to get closer shot (eyes of dragonfly, fly, ants)
which tools do I need to pair my tammy?

Which is best for my setup? ext tube or raynox 250?

Not a pro at macro...But, I think most people will recommend ext tubes since tammie 90 can already focus at short distance. + raynox is another piece of glass infront of the lens which will in a way degrade image quality. But for the ext tubes, you will likely be losing at least 1 stop of light.

Reverse mount

I think you don't need anything else. Just work on 1:1 you'll still see details in DF and flies' eyes.. :bsmilie:

actually eyes of DF are compound one, meaning from two big eyes that we see there's a lot inside of it.
that's what I want to capture =)

Yup, like I said, they are really big compounds, nothing like a weevil's. Very easy to capture.

This is not even shot at 1:1 and the compounds are already obvious.

5601902463_78a69890eb_z.jpg

spree86 said:
Yup, like I said, they are really big compounds, nothing like a weevil's. Very easy to capture.

This is not even shot at 1:1 and the compounds are already obvious.

Care to share what is your setup?
Thanks.

Suggest you join a few outings to get a feel of it before buying anything else based on recommendation alone. LOL (guilty of this)

D-Wade said:
is in 90 and 100 can already this, wow, nice shot there, with victor diffuser I assume hehe
Just finished mine, but haven't had a chance to use it yet.

so this is 75% crop?

Yup you can already do this with your usual macro lenses. Hmm this was before I made the victor diffuser I think, that's why the eyes are kind of blown out. It would look better with the victor diffuser.

I forgot how much I crop it by but there wasn't much cropping.

Yup you can already do this with your usual macro lenses. Hmm this was before I made the victor diffuser I think, that's why the eyes are kind of blown out. It would look better with the victor diffuser.

I forgot how much I crop it by but there wasn't much cropping.

thanks, this is really nice
hope I can take something like this

I would stick with my lens first then think about something else later

guys.. pls advise

if i want to try reverse mount, which one of below lenses will yield a good result?

• 18-55mm kit lens - max magnification 0.34x
  • 50mm f1.8 - m.m 0.20x
  • 100-200mm f4.5 - m.m 0.12x

thanx in advance

intrance said:
guys.. pls advise

if i want to try reverse mount, which one of below lenses will yield a good result?

[*]18-55mm kit lens - max magnification 0.34x
[*]50mm f1.8 - m.m 0.20x
[*]100-200mm f4.5 - m.m 0.12x

thanx in advance

The 50mm f1.8 would be good. The aperture ring really helps a lot and your working distance isn't that bad.