Super Budget Product Photography?

beebeeice

Aug 14, 2010
Serangoon
Hello guys!
I got a question. What is the simplest rig i can get for Product Photography?

Right now, i just use my table lamp, a white board as a reflector and some cardboard paper as background.. But is that enough?

Just wanna take some Small Gadgets (for fun) like Headphones, Earphones, Watches, Mouse etc..

that's enough, yeah. Though I'd recommend a long sheet of paper that you can use as a nicer backdrop.

Do a google search for "product photography basic setup". lots of articles and images showing the setup.

Thanks yo! I currently use 2 Drawing Blocks taped together as backdrop..

Thanks yo! I currently use 2 Drawing Blocks taped together as backdrop..

you can always head to art friend to get materials to aid you in your shots i.e. paper, colored transparent wrapping etc..

cheap desk lamps? mustafa.

That sounds simple enough.

Can also consider adding tracing paper/vellum to your lamp to act as a diffuser if you want softer highlights/shadows. Additional light sources (more table lamps) would be interesting also.

I tried using normal A4 paper for diffuser. Kinda thick. So i think best is Tracing Paper

I used thin white cloth depending on how strong your light is. Paper might get burnt under high temp of tungsten bulb (if you are using).

The real cheapest I used is some rechargable batt I have at home + several LED torch lights from daiso to place at various angles. Can use them to do some light painting too.

Backdrop can consider clean towels (plain colours), sometimes the texture of the cloth makes it slightly interesting.

Last night, I used black card board, ikea lamp and a piece of aluminium foil...

The result is disastrous! :bsmilie:

Last edited:
beebeeice said:
Hello guys!

Right now, i just use my table lamp, a white board as a reflector and some cardboard paper as background.. But is that enough?

Just wanna take some Small Gadgets (for fun) like Headphones, Earphones, Watches, Mouse etc..

If you want a completely shadow-free image, what you're using may be tough. The table lamp will be too hard. You need to modify that. Can use tracing paper to soften the light. White balance will be tricky if you have different light sources. So shoot in total darkness and completely control your light. Also use mahjong paper with a smooth curve to get rid of the horizontal line.

If you want to completely isolate your subject, try black velvet as background. I use it a lot for my shoot. It sucks light man. I think I blogged about something like this before. Can check my blog link below.

Good luck. If you need more help, PM me.

Hello guys!

A light tent and your standard speedlite will do very very well. Or you can place table lamps outside the light tent.

You can either make a light tent using cardboard boxes, or just buy one for less than $50.

The result.
5412233075_210ecb76db.jpg

Last edited:
A light tent and your standard speedlite will do very very well. Or you can place table lamps outside the light tent.

You can either make a light tent using cardboard boxes, or just buy one for less than $50.

The result.
5412233075_210ecb76db.jpg

< $50 meh? i saw the one selling at funan stationary shop for $200+.. whoa lao.. heng i didnt buy..

I have a flash + tripod. So I found a box, together with a $1 white backdrop, and some kitchen tissue...;p

5293494461_c4d9b4f493.jpg

181922_10150097698489518_810204517_6042596_480148_n.jpg

I used my parquet floor as a backdrop along with my table lamp as the light source...

beebeeice said:
I used my parquet floor as a backdrop along with my table lamp as the light source...

I'm not sure if that's the outcome you intended, but it doesn't look very appealing to me :)
Too dim. The "backdrop" is distracting.

I'm not sure if that's the outcome you intended, but it doesn't look very appealing to me :)
Too dim. The "backdrop" is distracting.
I was going for a classical look..
Cause that is an Acoustic Headphone, the moment Acoustic hits me, i would think of wood.

Maybe its just my Editing Skills.. XD

I got another pic here..

182861_10150097717209518_810204517_6042915_7615668_n.jpg

beebeeice said:
I was going for a classical look..
Cause that is an Acoustic Headphone, the moment Acoustic hits me, i would think of wood.

Maybe its just my Editing Skills.. XD

I got another pic here..

Ok I get what you're trying to do.
But i haven't been swayed. The photo doesn't entice me to go out and buy that pair of headphones :)

But anyway wrong place to be posting photo after photo :) this one not gallery section.
Cheers!