sunsets

Status
Not open for further replies.

spacegerbera

Aug 23, 2007
hi all,.
about taking sunset pics,.

was just wondering how to make the various shades of yellow, orange and red become " more" vivid.

i been taking some , and they can be most vivid i guess. just dont know how to adjust the cam settings to do so. the pics i took just does not seem as yellow or red or orange as wad i see irl.

1, is it adjusting the WB and the K?
2, also adjusting the auto WB dial?
3. or maybe need some special fliters at end of lens to " assist" in making the sunset look more vivid> very vivid??
thanks for just some general info lol.

using a dslr.

nic.

first thing you have to be at the right time, about 10mins before and after sunsets are the windows for best sunset results.

second thing is your exposure, sometime under a little will more the colors more saturated.

third, higher kelvin will make sunset more warm, lower kelvin will make it more cold. I like to set at Fluorescents to make it a little purplish. the worst WB setting is auto, you will lost all the colors for the sunset.

Yes... setting the WB helps. AWB will adjust itself to negate the yellowish light from the sunset.

Setting the colour temp within 5000~6500k should do the trick. Play around and find the best WB setting.

BC

and also don't forget about your composition. :)

nice thread. I always find sunsets challenging too...did not realise the play WB setting had on it...will try to modify as per the advice in the thread and see.

noticed a lab park (very popular for sunsets!!)...a few pro bros were using these rectangular filters on the front of their lens. Stole a quick peek at their screen when they clicked a pic...wow...the visual effects were stunning!!! (and my pics were blaaahhhhhhhhhhhh!!! :embrass:)

So to TS - i guess u do need some filters to get that really "vivid" look that you're talking of...if not the pics from naked lens are quite nice too for amateur efforts (look up popular photo websites for exif data pics on sunsets)

the white balance is impt but if you shoot raw, you can adjust it later at home.

you have to photoshop it and darken the sky significantly to bring out the colors. This I feel is the most impt. Darken the sky. You will be amazed how much more colorful the sky is after you darken it in photoshop.

colour temperature??how do you adjust that?? is it the RGB?

Certain cameras have the function of adjusting the color temperature under white balance settings, its manual white balance i think...

k thanks u all.
now i know a bit more bout the WB kelvin thinge.

but is there ani filters and such that can sort of make the sunset nicer? as in the reds and yellows and oranges?? ani suggestion as to brands and models?

thanks nic.

Status
Not open for further replies.