Sunset

NikD90

Feb 12, 2011
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/eeshmengi/5862762229/]
Couple - Sunset by NikD90, on Flickr[/URL]

I took this picture in Phuket (Potong beach). The sunset was beautiful and I wanted a subject for the amazing background. I clicked the couple who were talking to each other.

1. in what area is critique to be sought?

Capturing sunset better especially when there is a lack of subject. What can be other subject? I tried beach chair as well but this one came out the best. I also want guidance for post processing. I have currently adjusted the white balance and increased the contrast.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

As mentioned above, I am a newbie and wanted to capture sunset. I have earlier tried sunset but read somewhere that there should be a subject to capture a good sunset picture

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

It was a beautiful sunset and calm waters.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
I think I followed the theory properly but I feel there is something missing. I am not sure is it due to lack of PP.

hi, newbie here too! i love sunset shot too. anyway my comment about this is i cant really see what the couple is doing, its not your fault cos u duno them, do u? so its sort of like a candid to shoot what they were doing. or u culd have went to an angle where their silhouette can define more of their actions ie. kissing or hugging. if i were to take this shot i would have went in closer put the couple on one side of the frame and shoot it from a lower angel. of cos with the sun included as the background and i would also make the couple rather dark as u have done.

i hope my comment help a little to fulfilling what u think might be missing.

Cheers
Yong Meng
Your friendly Noob Photographer

great shot, I think you did capture the colours of the sunset well... however, i did find the clouds at the top left of the photo a little distracting, maybe your photo would be absolutely perfect if you cropped the clouds out? or did you intentionally leave them in?

anyway, i think its a great photo...

great shot, I think you did capture the colours of the sunset well... however, i did find the clouds at the top left of the photo a little distracting, maybe your photo would be absolutely perfect if you cropped the clouds out? or did you intentionally leave them in?

anyway, i think its a great photo...

I agree on this one.

Thanks guys.. I had to keep the cloud as I was trying to follow 1/3rd rule. If I try to remove the clouds, the subjects comes almost in the center of the pic. It is a candid shot and I think the couple was trying to click the sunset photograph

If I would to take this shot, I will use a tele lens and take it in portrait. More isolation instead of just placing your subject in the center of the frame. Landscape or portrait will give you a diff perspective. Best is to try both.

You have a subject, but your subject is silhouetted. Is there something about the subject which you included in the frame for? The sea isn't exactly that calm as you described. And your subject broke up the "calm" sea anyway.

Crop further, zoom in more or move in more. Unless I'm mistaken, your subject is the couple and the sun. Perhaps a portrait will be suitable.