Sunset

-star-

Sep 25, 2010

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
seeking some comments on the composition and technique. will appreciate all comments (am still a beginner) :)

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
to express the feeling of loner..like everything's in the world's gonna to be end..

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
taken in evening awhile after sun has almost set..kinda feeling alone..

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
feel overall of the pic is kinda underexpose? the focus seems to be on the sunset rather than the boat..(is it better to let the focus be on the boat?)

one question- if i wish to increase the exposure, then it is harder to capture the orange-ish color of the sky caused by the sunset...any way to achieve both? :confused:

Google for HDR for exposure.

It is either your horizon is tilted or you are shooting diagonally across the bank as there is no point for reference,

Both the sun and the boat should be your subject of interest. In my opinion, the boat should be placed on the lower left intersection of the 1/3 line and the sun on the upper right intersection of the 1/3 line. To do this, you need to walk a distance to get your angle right. The water will occupied 2/3 across the frame as the sky is not dramatic or the timing is not right.

Best to do before shooting is to explore the place first for the best spot rather than start clicking away.

A portrait crop with the thirds rule on your elements will work better, as the majority of the left-right does not add to the picture in any way.

Level the horizon.

There is dust on your sensor.

Go heavier on the post-processing, the mood you want is not apparent at all as the colours are too flat. Try a "multiply" layer in photoshop if you have it, and blend accordingly.

Besides PP, I doubt there is much you can do, as the problem lies with the timing and natural light. "At the wrong place, at the wrong time" does happen, that's the life of doing land/sea scapes photography.

Yes, the focus is on the sunset, because the sun can be clearly seen. If you wish for the boat to be the main subject, wait till the sun goes down behind the trees.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
to express the feeling of loner..like everything's in the world's gonna to be end..

For this feeling, I would diminish the colors almost to B&W, add a little grain, and darken the vignette even more to draw attention to the sun and the boat. And crop some off the left and bottom. Something like this ...

sunset2x.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for all the valuable comments, will work on it :)

Btw, dust on sensor means the dust is on the lens? Is it possible to clean it by using a blower to blow on the lens or need to unmoumt the Lens and blow and the mirror of the body?

Last edited:
err no, the dust is literally on your sensor, you have to remove the lens, turn on your camera and activate the mirror-up, then use the blower. or you could send it in for cleaning if you're not confident of DIY :)

to confirm first you can shoot a piece of paper or similar even surface at f20 or so.

Last edited:
elavan said:
err no, the dust is literally on your sensor, you have to remove the lens, turn on your camera and activate the mirror-up, then use the blower. or you could send it in for cleaning if you're not confident of DIY :)

to confirm first you can shoot a piece of paper or similar even surface at f20 or so.

Ooh ok thanks :) I try it myself later :) btw is it ok to brush the mirror with lens pen?

Last edited:
DeadEnd said:
A BIG NO NO for that, the most u can do is to use blower

The brush will scratch the mirror? I saw a YouTube video, it uses a brush on the mirror :x