Sunset

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtsky

Jul 28, 2008
Yishun
I am a newbie, just bought my camera 2 weeks ago. Took this picture from my HDB flat. It is an unprocess images. Please comment on the exposure and composition. Thanks.

sunset35.jpg

Last edited:
i think it would be better if you crop away the building at the bottom, if not add more of it into the photo.
i think it's quite common photo of the sky with the timing of sunset, the clouds are good.
and btw, your heading isnt quite right. i was expecting a photo of sunset or at least let me see abit of the sun.
but sadly no, none of the sort.

my 2cents =)

I agree 100% with mrc0w.

Know what? It's really rare you see these cloud formation and fantastic natural colors nowadays. The fact that you noticed them and exerted the effort to take a picture of it is a very good sign! You're well on your way ...

yup. guess they are right. it will be better if 1/3 of the pic is filled by the building. if not, just leave them out. its quite rare to see such clouds formation recently. last wk i remembered, it was only once on monday and it happened like for 15mins and the sky went dark. :( too bad tat day i was in the office and not in a position to shoot. :cry: i tried to look for such clouds during sunset but to no avail yet. :confused:

is that the widest that ur lens could go? if possible, go as wide as possible and you might see a different effect.

keep shooting.

Thanks bros for ur advices. I will try to improve from ur advice. Actually I do have a few photo took at the same time with the building but some how when I include the building, I lost the actual colour of the sky. I shot this photo using my 50mm lens, when change to the wider len, the sky turn dark liao. too late to capture. Thanks again for ur valuable advice for newbie.

Get to an open area or the highest floor of the HDB block.
I got my shots from #15 floor, and at 18mm.
2582817255_7d8f6cdb28.jpg

..and dont forget to PP to taste.
Its okay for your first shot - just keep on shooting!

Last edited:
it depends on which metering mode u were using. the buildings and the sky would require different exposure. try exposing for the sky and then remembering the F-stop and shutter speed. Compensate a little till you get the colors of the sky that you want. Remember these values and then use manual mode to shoot. this way, ur buildings will most likely be under exposed and have a nice silhouette. :) should be always relying on PP. Film shooters don't use PP. we should always try to capture and protray what we see. you can also manually set higher saturation and sharpness in ur cam. for my cam, i +2 sharpness and +2 saturation. :D

Thanks bros for ur advices. I will try to improve from ur advice. Actually I do have a few photo took at the same time with the building but some how when I include the building, I lost the actual colour of the sky. I shot this photo using my 50mm lens, when change to the wider len, the sky turn dark liao. too late to capture. Thanks again for ur valuable advice for newbie.

Is it just me or do i think the shot is not sharp. Perhaps you can share the settings used for us to comment better...

Hi,
Mr yehosaphat, I think you are right it is a bit blur after I look carefully. I took this using Aperture Priority, with f11, ISO 200, I forgot to record the timing. The picture Mr Cheguthamrin is so sharp and so much better than mine, don't know when I can reach his standard. I just wondering is it my metering problem, I am using matricx metering. Thanks for all the advices and time.

Hi,
Mr yehosaphat, I think you are right it is a bit blur after I look carefully. I took this using Aperture Priority, with f11, ISO 200, I forgot to record the timing. The picture Mr Cheguthamrin is so sharp and so much better than mine, don't know when I can reach his standard. I just wondering is it my metering problem, I am using matricx metering. Thanks for all the advices and time.

No not metering problem. Did you use a tripod? Looking at your exposure and if you are using f11, it doesnt look like the shutter speed will be handholdable... that may be the cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.