Sunset

Status
Not open for further replies.

w3iw3n

May 11, 2008
Hi guys...i'm a first time dslr owner and here is a pix that i have taken today at approx 6pm (sky still very bright despite being cloudy).

What am i not doing rite that causes the pix to lose the colour of the grass? I tried a couple of shots varying exposure compensation and find that i need to trade off either the "green" of grass or the "mood" of the sunset.

What have i done wrong?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3162/2695829272_a2a5993fd7_b.jpg

U can take 2 shots (1 expose for grass --> sky will be overexposed; 1 expose for the sky --> grass will be underexposed) and blend them together later, or you can buy GND or ND filters to darken the sky so u can expose for the grass and not overexpose the sky. Hmm... do u know what I'm talking about? I'd just got for 2 shots blended together though...

Try to use your flash to fill in. Try also flash -1, -2 stop. The flash will help to brighten the
grass.

Cheers,

Try to use your flash to fill in. Try also flash -1, -2 stop. The flash will help to brighten the
grass.

Cheers,
this definitely wun make the photo much better cos 1, the grass patch is too large for the flash to fill up. and 2, if the flash is powerful even, it will making the lighting very uneven as the front(nearer to the photographer) of the grass patch to be much brighter compared to those further away.
the corrent way is like what karnage have said, either doing HDR image, use a GND or take in RAW and then push/pull the shadow/highlight, but this will create some noise in the shadow area.

This calls for HDR Photography! :cool:

dude..your highlight/shadow tip works.
thanks all for your comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.