Sunset,sunrise techniques + filters

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMac08

Sep 4, 2008
Tiong Bahru,Singapore
www.flickr.com
Can i check for sunset and sunrise use..do u guys normally use a GND filter or polarising filter if shooting near beaches?

and if anyone knows the main diff in application of GND 501 and 502 filter by B+W.

I have seen the cokins slot in filters also. if i am using any of these,do i remove or keep my uv filter on?

Please advise on techniques also. Thanks.

I want to know also. pics taken sunset in punggol. using kit lens and no filters.

DSC_7689.jpg

Last edited:
This was just asked a week ago. Please try a search.

In essence: The choice of whether or not to use a filter is up to you and the effect you're trying to achieve.

I have seen the cokins slot in filters also. if i am using any of these,do i remove or keep my uv filter on?
Watch out for vignetting...Especially on UWAs... I would rather remove the UV filter

There are special filters for sunrise/set. it's like a GND cept the darkest part is in the middle.

There are special filters for sunrise/set. it's like a GND cept the darkest part is in the middle.

called reverse grad, only singray makes these, and very $$$$$$$$$$$$$

thanks for e reply. I guess i have mix up the types of filters myself.but thanks for clearing up and the infor on reverse gnd.

Then in the use of GND filters when shooting against a beach with blue sky,when does one opt to use say a 1 stop or 2 stop reduction GND filters or even a polariser ?is it also a preference or there's some guide to it?

Can i safely say for uwa never stack filters and only use 1?

thanks for e reply. I guess i have mix up the types of filters myself.but thanks for clearing up and the infor on reverse gnd.

Then in the use of GND filters when shooting against a beach with blue sky,when does one opt to use say a 1 stop or 2 stop reduction GND filters or even a polariser ?is it also a preference or there's some guide to it?

Can i safely say for uwa never stack filters and only use 1?

Go for a 2-stop GND, 1-stop is not sufficient. I personally have and use the B+W 502 GND

Go for a 2-stop GND, 1-stop is not sufficient. I personally have and use the B+W 502 GND

Thanks for sharing. can post some sample? again does this mean it is a personal pref thing for 2 stop or 1 stop ? or is it like in very bright situation we use 2 stop instead of 1 stop?

Thanks for sharing. can post some sample? again does this mean it is a personal pref thing for 2 stop or 1 stop ? or is it like in very bright situation we use 2 stop instead of 1 stop?

It's based on the actual light situation, the difference in exposure stops between bright areas and darker areas) and your intended result. So if you need to balance off 3 or more stops of exposure surely GND 1 stop won't help much, right? If you want to keep a certain gap and only darken the sky a little bit then 1 stop might be sufficient.
The question is always: what to achieve? And: What are the conditions? Then select the tool. Not the other way around.
CPL will darken everything a bit when shooting against the sun (sun glass effect). Remember that the polarizing effect needs 90 degree angle. So you can use CPL for clouds at sunset / sunrise where the sun is left or right of you.
Stacking screw-in filters is a No-No. It calls for vignetting and sometimes filters can get stuck.

Last edited:
Thanks Octarine. You gave me a good lecture. will think carefully before i buy my GND filter...let me go to flickr and see if i can see some pictures.....if u know any do let me know k. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.