Sunset Storm @ Sengkang

Status
Not open for further replies.

def.p0et

Aug 13, 2007
1773117907_6a0d54876a.jpg

*image removed*

took both of these pictures at my workplace somewhere in Sengkang..

Im just looking for comments on the exposure and composition.

shot using nikon d40 at manual mode. kit lens. heh..

appreciate the experts' advice on these.. heheh.. thanks alot!

oh i would also like to know how do we actually show more of the clouds in terms of shape and tones.. must i do HDR?

please note that critique request posting is limited to 1 picture per week.

extra image is removed.

too dark, does not convey much of a composition
try using ND filters
try elevating the shot, cut the bottom off somewhere near the bottom of the buildings.

too dark, does not convey much of a composition
try using ND filters
try elevating the shot, cut the bottom off somewhere near the bottom of the buildings.

i agree..make it a bit more visible and give a bit more elevation

yeah, you could probably try taking another shot again. ( you work there so it's easier to take right) it would be much better if the buildings/HDB are not totally black. a little details of the buildings will do.

It would be impossible to get the sky's tonal value along with the detail of the HDB. You can't get an exposure that will allow you to see both because a camera's dynamic range is too limited to do so, as opposed to our eyes' dynamic range.

One way around this is through HDR.

more sunset, less foreground. seems a slight bit overexposed to me.
as said by other, try ND filters =)
oh...one more thing.. erm.. try not to 'cut' ur picture into 3 sections? cause the top part is i assume blocked by the ceiling and the bottom by the rest of the block?
mayb u should have been taking the photo from the block in front of u ;)

I dun know how a ND filter will help here. An ND grad will be what you guys meant here...BUT then again, the very uneven "horizon" will not be the best choice even for a soft-edged ND grad....This is a case for HDR or blended exposures.

No offence, but additional research will help alot of you here.

thanx everyone.. but hor i cant go out of my workplace when im working.. it was on the rooftop of my workplace.

the top part of the pic is black cuz i added the 'cinematic' stripe.

nevertheless, i will take note of all the points.. i'll experiment with the brightness/contrast.

thankx all!

what are the tools for HDR?

I'm no expert but I think showing more of the sunset would be better. I'm partial with the black strip on the top, it makes it look like some movie scene in my opinion.

A simple programme to use HDR would be Photomatix Pro.

oh... k thanx.. i will google for it.. heh.

Status
Not open for further replies.