Sunset @ Singapore Cruise Centre

PrataBoy

Mar 31, 2011
1. In what area is critique to be sought?

Overall composition, colour and lighting.

2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

I am new to DSLR. By taking more photos and asking for critique, I hope to learn as much as I can from all the gurus in this forum.

3. Under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

I was waiting for some friends for dinner at Vivo City and walked along the recently opened Sentosa Gateway. Happened to see the sun set while I was shooting the cruise ship. I took quite a lot of shots of this scene with different settings. Shot with Sony A33 with 18-55mm kit lens, handheld.

4. What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture

This is one of the better shots although I feel something is lacking. Maybe too much water in the foreground.

5738709437_19bc6bac0f_b.jpg

Nice shoot

Use a smaller aperture and a longer exposure.

Agree with a little bit too much water. Since there are certain limitations to handheld, I shld comment on the composition. :)

There are cable cars on top which you may want to include. And if you walk abit to your left, you could actually see the horizon btw Sentosa and the Cruise Centre. Generally, I would prefer a wider shot from that location.

My 2 cents. Keep shooting!

1. In what area is critique to be sought?

Overall composition, colour and lighting.

3. Under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

I was waiting for some friends for dinner at Vivo City and walked along the recently opened Sentosa Gateway. Happened to see the sun set while I was shooting the cruise ship. I took quite a lot of shots of this scene with different settings. Shot with Sony A33 with 18-55mm kit lens, handheld.

4. What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture

This is one of the better shots although I feel something is lacking. Maybe too much water in the foreground.

1. This is a back lighted scene and I am surprise that it is hardly silhouetted. Nice exposure.

3. If possible, use a sturdy tripod

4. You probably wanted to get the reflection of the sun from the water but I feel the most interesting bits in the photo are left "squashed" up and the big "empty" uninteresting space (water) fighting for more attention when one is looking at the photo. What you can do is have more sky, probably 2 thirds and the water 1/3 of the frame. This should roughly get the bigger ship and the sun near or at the nodes of third nicely.

Last edited:
bananah said:
Agree with a little bit too much water. Since there are certain limitations to handheld, I shld comment on the composition. :)

There are cable cars on top which you may want to include. And if you walk abit to your left, you could actually see the horizon btw Sentosa and the Cruise Centre. Generally, I would prefer a wider shot from that location.

My 2 cents. Keep shooting!

I had some shots with the cable cars on top, too. But felt they looked out of place. Probably could have been better with a wider lens. Thks.

coolthought said:
1. This is a back lighted scene and I am surprise that it is hardly silhouetted. Nice exposure.

3. If possible, use a sturdy tripod

4. You probably wanted to get the reflection of the sun from the water but I feel the most interesting bits in the photo are left "squashed" up and the big "empty" uninteresting space (water) fighting for more attention when one is looking at the photo. What you can do is have more sky, probably 2 thirds and the water 1/3 of the frame. This should roughly get the bigger ship and the sun near or at the nodes of third nicely.

Thanks for the tips. Looks like my 1/3 rule was applied reversedly.